Disappearing Honda Shops

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
ALCATRAZ51
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 GOLDWING with CSC Trike Kit

Disappearing Honda Shops

Post by ALCATRAZ51 »

I have owned my GW1800 since I bought it new in 2007. I perform all the basic maintenance items yearly but every so often I have a Honda shop perform certain tasks that I can’t do. Went to my local dealer this week and they told me if the bike is older then 10 years they will not work on it. What? Unbelievable. The next curve ball is that I had CSC do a conversion for me as my knee is not stable enough anymore to hold the machine upright if I felt that I had to hold it upright. Again, I looked for another dealer and they stated they don’t / won’t work on the bike if it is a trike. Unbelievable but true. With that being said, seeking advice on how and where to find a mechanic to perform say my 40K maintenance like brake flushing and coolant change. I know my limitations and am not willing to due this on my own. Thanks for your help.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Disappearing Honda Shops

Post by Andy Cote »

Fairly common. Many car dealers do the same. You can use a local independent shop, if you can find one that isn't HD centric. It often is a one man show; an old graybeard who can fix anything and charges less than dealer prices.

You should consider expanding your skill set and tackling these two tasks. Both are straightforward.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Sadly very common with Honda shops, although my local shop will still work on my 06 1800...for now. That said I know 2 mechanics who are both very experienced Goldwing mechanics who will get the bulk of my business. Good luck!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 84k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

there is an old thread that started in 2011, but gets updated from time to time.

just last week, I saw a mention of a very good older gentleman in the middle of TN that will work on any Honda bike..... I will try to find his name.....

this thread has 151 posts as of today..

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/b ... cs.367131/
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am searching thru the Goldwing groups on Facebook, where I found the guy in TN

this lady's husband does all the work on their trike,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1406066 ... 176617212/
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
ron203
Motorcycle: 2014 Concours, 2008 GL 1800

Post by ron203 »

The "chain" (corporate) shop that sold me mine in 2018 said they didn't work on 10+ year bikes either, but they'd "work on mine since they just sold it to me." Gee thanks. I took it elsewhere. There's a good independent shop about 7-8 miles away from them in NE Atlanta area. That shop just expanded from the owner and one tech to the owner and five techs. They're killing it and doing good work. Ask around. You'll find someone close by.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

ALCATRAZ51 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:41 am I have owned my GW1800 since I bought it new in 2007. I perform all the basic maintenance items yearly but every so often I have a Honda shop perform certain tasks that I can’t do. Went to my local dealer this week and they told me if the bike is older then 10 years they will not work on it. What? Unbelievable. The next curve ball is that I had CSC do a conversion for me as my knee is not stable enough anymore to hold the machine upright if I felt that I had to hold it upright. Again, I looked for another dealer and they stated they don’t / won’t work on the bike if it is a trike. Unbelievable but true. With that being said, seeking advice on how and where to find a mechanic to perform say my 40K maintenance like brake flushing and coolant change. I know my limitations and am not willing to due this on my own. Thanks for your help.
Car dealers have been doing the same for years. There are many reasons for a dealer to do it; however, since it's often not a firm rule, what it does mean is that the shop does not wont to work on your Wing.

At my shop, and at me shop we only work on GL1800s, we too sometimes say no to working on them. Although we welcome all GL1800s and trikes too, we often say no to any Wing that has been "blinged" out where wires are poorly routed. Poorly routed wires leaves any shop that had touched a Wing liable for accidants or fires.
Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Post by Ghostman »

Ive had a trike since 07 and shops that dont work on trikes are a sore spot for me also. Sadly this was the death of a lot of install shops because of the lack of ability to service the bike they put the kit on. But from the shops point of view the cost depending on whats needed to be done for servicing on the trike gets to be costly depending on the trike kit and options such as running boards and the like needing to be removed. The other issue is a lot of Honda shops arent skilled on working on wings,especially adjusting valves and similar maintenance. You can read horror stories about wings just trying to get basic service and what the shops have done with removing the bodywork and such. If you have a GWRRA or similar riding club near you they might be able to help. I do 99% of my work myself but once in awhile something comes up where I need a dealer. My last dealer visit was a pinion seal on the rear end needed replacing. I wound up taking her to a dealer 242 miles away and stayed at a hotel overnight. But to me its just not trikes,the wing itself doesnt have many places to service them and in some cases the 10 year rule might save you from the ineptness of a not so good shop.