Rear Luggage Box Removal

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
DrJerry
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS with Champion Trike Kit Installed

Rear Luggage Box Removal

Post by DrJerry »

I have a 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS that has a Champion Trike Kit installed. Want to have it repainted original color and all painters have said the rear luggage carrier box must come off the top of the trunk before they will paint it. I have taken out every screw, nut and bolt I can find and it still will not come off. The front raises up like it wants to come off and it will pivot or swivel about 10 or 15 degrees but won't release. It feels like there is still something holding it in about the middle of the floor of the box but from the top of the trunk I can see no screws or bolts. I want it all sanded down and repainted so it's pretty again. I'm 77 and plan on it being my last ride. But I can't get that utility/luggage box off the trunk so it can be painted. Also, can't find any descent instructions on how to remove it. If anyone knows where I can get instructions or know from first hand experience how to do it, please let me know. Much appreciated. Dr Jerry.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Rear Luggage Box Removal

Post by Rambozo »

The service manual won't really help you because of the trike kit. You might want to check with Champion to see if they can give you an idea of what you have overlooked. Have you detached all the wiring? Does it still use the Honda mounting collars that go into the rubber grommets?
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Not sure what you mean by luggage box on top of the trunk. Can you post a picture?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Gnarly
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2006 Honda GL1800 / 2021 Roadsmith Trike

Post by Gnarly »

Read about a similar issue on another forum.

Not sure it will help, but they discovered the snag was the cable system under the top box, which opens the top box AND bottom trunk.

Hope that helps.
DrJerry
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS with Champion Trike Kit Installed

Post by DrJerry »

According to a Champion Trike Kit installer, the luggage box of 1800 Goldwing installs and removes the same as on the bike before its triked. I can't even find instructions or a video on how to do that.