Start issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
208wrenchman
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing Audio, Comfort, Nav, XM

Start issue

Post by 208wrenchman »

I have a 2013 that is having an issue with starting. Reverse is selected off, with no neutral light. No starter. Emergency switch is in run position. Verified neutral and able to push start bike. We have cleaned the reverse switch and no help.

Thanks

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Start issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I'm assuming that you mean that the starter will not crankover to start.

For that to occur, there are several "lock outs."
- put in 'N'
- side stand up
- not in reverse
- kill switch in "on" position
- ignition key in "on" position
- hitting start button and engine should crank and start

If the starter still does not crankover the engine, with the key on does your dash light up ??? Are your battery connections clean and tight ???
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

The starter does not turn.
Everything seems normal. All lights work, dash headlights. Lithium battery installed.
The bike has been converted to a trike many years ago.
This is an intermittent problem. One time it will not start, then it will. Went on a ride had to push it to start. Stopped and checked got the neutral light and the bike started like it was supposed to. Continued on the ride, stopped and got gas about 45 min. later and wouldn't start and had to push it to start. Went about 30 min. and it started just fine. Completed the trip home with no issues.
This problem has more than one person stumped. Hope this fills any gaps in the problem that I may have left out.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

My guess would be poor trike wiring. Since it is intermittent, you might want to keep a test light or voltmeter with you so you can perform some basic checks next time it does it. Or trace out all the lock outs Greg listed and make sure they are all good.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:55 pm I have a 2013 that is having an issue with starting. Reverse is selected off, with no neutral light. No starter. Emergency switch is in run position. Verified neutral and able to push start bike. We have cleaned the reverse switch and no help.

Thanks
You said you cleaned the reverse switch. Since you’re missing the neutral light, you are missing either the ground coming from the gear position switch and running through the reverse regulator assembly to the gauges and the reverse relay; or you’re missing the power coming from Reverse Start fuse through the reverse actuator assembly’s limit switch and on to the gauge assembly and the reverse relay under the seat. Either one will give your symptom and keep it from starting.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

The problem has been located and is being worked. I turns out, there is a switch on the reverse actuator that had a lead broken off at the switch. It will require a replacement. Thanks to all that helped in this.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:30 pm The problem has been located and is being worked. I turns out, there is a switch on the reverse actuator that had a lead broken off at the switch. It will require a replacement. Thanks to all that helped in this.
Glad you found it. The starter system is a little involved, especially compared to other motorcycles.