THE DARKSIDE HAS CLAIMED ANOTHER VICTIM

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Radtrike
Motorcycle: 2007 goldwing also 2012 harley electra glide limited

THE DARKSIDE HAS CLAIMED ANOTHER VICTIM

Post by Radtrike »

living here in northern Idaho I spend most of my riding on mountain roads with added trips pulling my camping trailer. Average day of riding is 100 to 250 miles, so was always wondering how these tires would handle my kind of cruising. Over the years I have read and watched those that have switched and been entertained by those who dare NOT. I know bikes well, raced for several years and enjoyed the many miles around this beautiful nation of ours on two wheels. Bikes and tires have come a long ways, so have the rims. There have been so many people with such great advise built on their own experience, this is the input I have learned over the years that benefit all. This is the only input one should go by when venturing into a new realm, not those who look out over the ocean and say it's flat. They never left the beach nor dipped their hand in the deep blue sea. I looked at all the tires that are being used and for my type of riding decided on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season run flat SL. The front tire I went to the Bridgestone Battlax BT46 and installed these on my 2007 wing. There is no falloff when I carve a turn, I don't have to fight to straighten up, I'm like what the hell am I suppose to get use too. They feel solid, very stable and handle the mountain roads like I feel they should. I switched because I wanted more grip on the road and longer lasting wear. At 72 years of age these may outlast me, but I plan on challenging them to that end.
So what I'm saying to those who maybe considering stepping on the fear mongers, put your hand in that deep blue water. Look back at those standing on the beach and wave as they disappear over the horizon. Been riding for 58 years and will continue as long as I have the gas.

Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Re: THE DARKSIDE HAS CLAIMED ANOTHER VICTIM

Post by Sassy »

Welcome Rad! My age and ride numbers are very similar go yours. Im just a bit north of the 49th in Creston bc so my riding is also similiar.
Yep, untill the gas is gone or I am I ride,, something!
Thanks much for the tire input. Want to go to a run flat next. Did you buy local, 195-55?
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Radtrike

Post by Radtrike »

Thanks for the comeback, I was not able to find the tires here so ordered rear from Tire Rack and front from Chaparal in California. The 45 is no longer made so upgraded to 46. Very pleased with results.
Radtrike

Post by Radtrike »

Yes I stayed with the original size, as I think u are adding a problem when u upsize. The difference in tread patch on the ground by switching to ct is tremendous. Heading out on a camping trip tomorrow with my wife . Be safe / Rad
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

I am a Double Darksider. I run a BT-46 Rear on the front mounted backwards, and a 185 or 195/70-16 (whats ever on sale) Car Tire on the rear. Just as with the stock MC tire, the Speedometer with a 185 shows me going faster than I am. With a 195, the speedometer is true but the odometer read less than I have traveled. With the extra width of the 195, depending on the brand of tire, I sometimes put a washer on the lug bolts between the rim and the hub to make sure it doesn't rub the fender.

I went Double Darkside mainly for mileage. Where I live I am able to drive all year long and I drive lots of miles. I used to use 3 to 4 sets of MC tires in a year's time. That's a lot of $$ on tires. Double Darkside allows me to go a year or more on just one set of tires. Car tires cost a lot less too.

I too am entertained by the "Sky Is Falling" nay-Sayers and yes, I have totaled a Double Darksided Goldwing (not tire related) and yes, the Insurance company paid. They even sent a motorcycle specific adjuster that even knew what farkles I had added to it, so no one can say that he didn't know what he was looking at.

The M/C on the tire just means it is of the M/C style, just as "P" is passenger vehicle style and "LT" are Light Truck style. I have "P" tires on my light truck. I guess to the nay-Sayers, it is unsafe for me to put "P" tires on my Light Truck. They are all DOT approved tires for Hi-Way use and are safe and will not fly apart at the speed and load as designated on their sidewalls. M/C tires were developed for racing and you know the old adage, "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" so they came with the same tires they raced with to you too can experience the performance of their bikes. Before that, bike tires were just narrow car tires. Check out the vintage tires on the bikes in museums if you don't believe me.
maxrider
Motorcycle: Honda F6B, 2015

Post by maxrider »

Ha let me chime in as well, riding for 50+ yrs and switched to the BT-46 and P7 Rf combo, done several iron Buts with them, and a 50CC ride, and done my spirited canyon riding and city/slab riding, NOTHING beats this combo, take it from an old guy, don't believe anybody under 40:).
GLRT
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now

Post by GLRT »

I use only CT's on all my projects and have been since back to the 1970"s so the CT thing is not new to me.
Here is my recommendation. Never ever RF as it's a stiff harsh ill suited choice. Pressure 26-28psi and 195x60x16 size works well and corrects speedometer error. I know this flies in the face of what most are doing but it's hard to change when your getting 40k life on tires along with the predictable ride. That being said yes going to a CT does change the ride and running more than 28psi and/or a RF tire the handling is less than ideal
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

I have a BT-46 rear installed on the front (reversed of course) which currently has over 19K miles on it and still has at least 10K more before it hits the wear indicators. I replaced my rear Toyo 185/60R16 with a new Waterfall Eco Dynamic Extra Load All-Season 195/60R16 99V BSW Tire. It reads 1 mph faster than actual speed. The Toyo had over 31K miles and it had a few more miles left on it but I had to replace the drive shaft so I serviced everything in the rear and replaced the tire. I run 39-41PSI in the rear and it wears very even. The left side wears slightly more due to the camber of the roads.