Nuts bolts and screws

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
martyfair227
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800

Nuts bolts and screws

Post by martyfair227 »

Guys could you tell me how do you keep up with what bolt, nut, or screw goes where? When you take something apart, the problem is that I didn't label, organize , or video when I took this apart three weeks ago, now I'll have to assemble with just my memory unless you guys have found another way? Thanks men I appreciate it! I know the order of how the parts go on , just not where the fasteners go?

"Big bird"
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Nuts bolts and screws

Post by tamathumper »

Unfortunately it's too late for my advice - take ample photos of things as you tear them down. For things like the tupperware that have shoulder bolts of slightly varying length, I tend to align them on a piece of cardboard with holes punched in it, or if I can I thread them partially back into the holes they belong in I'll do that.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The Honda parts diagrams often list the bolt sizes and number of them required. That can often be enough to help sort things out. Otherwise you have to channel your inner engineer to figure out what is required to do each job. Just like when you get a basket case to put back together. I have lost count of the things I have had to repair because someone used the wrong fastener in the wrong place.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I take lots of pictures, and when possible, I will take the fastener and put it back in the hole where it lives, loosely. For instance, remove four fasteners, remove the panel or whatever that the fasteners were holding, then put the four fasteners back in their screw holes just a few threads in. That way you don't lose them, and you know exactly which fastener goes where when your reassemble, because the fasteners are already there.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I had to put a new water pump in my old Toyota, have to remove a lot of parts to get to the pump - it is driven by the timing belt. Some times it is not practical to re-thread the screw where it goes.

So I wind up with parts in little piles of pieces on the garage floor with their associated fasteners, power steering reservoir and its screws, alternator, bracket and its bolts, timing covers with the bolts laying in the cover. etc. So when I go to put a part back on, the needed fasteners are laying right there with the part.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

I use zip lock bags for each Part or Assembly and mark it where the screws came from. I save them under the toolbox for reuse. I use the exploded views from Parts Fish or Revzilla and look at the description of the screw, Honda is very good at giving you the diameter and length of the thread, but not the length of the shoulder. I sometimes pour the contents of the zip lock bag on the workbench and sort everything into like items and then measure and count them. Armed with that information I refer once again to the exploded view as it will tell you how many of each is required and where it goes. I have ordered an extra one of each so I'll have one on hand if I ever lose one. They come in their own individual bag with the part number clearly marked. This gives me the ability to identify any unknown ones by comparing them to what I have on hand.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

I try to do what WingAdmin does. For the ones that cannot be screwed back in, I use an old Egg carton. I take an assembly apart and put the screws/nuts in a hole. Move on to the next assembly, use the second hole. Each assembly get its own hole in the carton. When I am putting everything back together, just start at the last hole and work my way back to the first one. You can usually tell what part needs what length bolt when putting the assembly back together.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I've tried egg cartons and fishing lure type boxes for that before...until the one time when I accidentally bumped it, knocking it to the floor and scrambling ALL of the fasteners together. Never again!

For fasteners that don't have a place to screw back in, I now put them all in small ziploc bags and mark the bags with a Sharpie. Never fails me!