Help!!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
DrJerry
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS with Champion Trike Kit Installed

Help!!

Post by DrJerry »

I stripped my 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 to have it repainted. The repainting (same color) looks magnificent. But when I started putting the front upper cowling on (has headlights mounted in it, etc) the two side pieces don't come together as they should. Where they meet in center front touches at the top and is about 2 inches apart at the bottom. They are supposed to touch all the way down and be bolted together. I've had them off and back on so many times and each time I get the same thing, they don't come together right. Has anyone else experienced this. I'm at wits end (which isn't very far). I'm 77 and apparently a better rider than mechanic. If I don't get my girl back together, I'll be neither. Jerry. drjerry1776@comcast.net 412-613-9104

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Help!!

Post by Techdude2000 »

DrJerry wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:28 pm I stripped my 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 to have it repainted. The repainting (same color) looks magnificent. But when I started putting the front upper cowling on (has headlights mounted in it, etc) the two side pieces don't come together as they should. Where they meet in center front touches at the top and is about 2 inches apart at the bottom. They are supposed to touch all the way down and be bolted together. I've had them off and back on so many times and each time I get the same thing, they don't come together right. Has anyone else experienced this. I'm at wits end (which isn't very far). I'm 77 and apparently a better rider than mechanic. If I don't get my girl back together, I'll be neither. Jerry. drjerry1776@comcast.net 412-613-9104
You need to assemble the two halves of the fairing together with the headlight assemblies before hanging it back on the bike. When you go to put the whole assembly onto the bike, make sure the two bosses go into the two grommets in the frame. Do you have a copy of the service manual?
DrJerry
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS with Champion Trike Kit Installed

Post by DrJerry »

I don't have a service manual. Can I get one online? I think I might have done what you are saying but not positive. I took both pieces loose at the windshield bracket (but not completely off the bike) just enough to where the two pieces came together nicely, bolted the together, but then I couldn't force them to line up with the holes in the windshield brackets. Do I have to take them completely off, bolt them together, then lift them on?
I really appreciate your wisdom. I want to get it back together because it will be the last bike I ever want to own and hopefully I can get two or three more years of riding in before my daughter takes my license!!
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

DrJerry wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 am I don't have a service manual. Can I get one online? I think I might have done what you are saying but not positive. I took both pieces loose at the windshield bracket (but not completely off the bike) just enough to where the two pieces came together nicely, bolted the together, but then I couldn't force them to line up with the holes in the windshield brackets. Do I have to take them completely off, bolt them together, then lift them on?
I really appreciate your wisdom. I want to get it back together because it will be the last bike I ever want to own and hopefully I can get two or three more years of riding in before my daughter takes my license!!
Yes, you need to bolt both halves together with the headlight assemblies and then install the whole thing onto the fairing frame. Have you located the two grommets in the frame that the two bosses slip into from the front? There’s one on each side high on the assembly’s rear. I’m impressed you got it all apart without the manual, there’s a lot to this without direction.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

When I remove cowls from 5th gens, I too remove and reassemble them as a front cowl assembly. On 2001-05, and because they have upper fresh air-ducts, doing it my way is challanging, but since I know what to look out for, and how to deal with all the issues, I find it far quicker to install them as an assembly. In your case and because you've had to remove all painted plastic, I can understand why you've done it the other way.

However, for yours there is nothing wrong with reassembling the left and right cowl assemblies, as individule assemblies. Most important is to install the headlamp assemblies, upper air ducts, and bank-angle sensor (BAS) first. I also install, and leave loose, the metal bars between between the headlamp, to one of the headlamp assemblies. To know if the correct black bolts are installed in the correct places, all 4 will have about the same amount of thread sticking out of the nutplate once tight. Also, there is a nut-plate that needs installed correctly, so that you don't have to do all this over again. See part #25. It's theads face rearward, and the nutplate is for the bolt #20 that holds part #3 in place.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon ... e425f/cowl

As for your cowls, and your issue could be caused by any of these. Basically, the left cowl is held in place at 3 points. The big rubber gromet in the black subframe and the 2 mount bolts that screw into the same subframe. One bolt is inboard of the mirror, and the other is inboard and above its headlamp. After the cowl is installed in its big gromet first, I then make sure that the upper, rear tab on the upper air duct is installed correctly past the wire harness that lays above it. I then reach under and verify that the lower ducts male and female fit together as such. Once all that is good, and only then, will I install its 2 mount bolts. Be sure your bolt collars are installed as they originally were. Before moving to the other side, now is the best time to connect the BAS, the right headlamps up/down motor, and the ambient temp. sensor.

For the left cowl, I again feed it's big boss into it large gromet in the subframe, and then feed (usually I will bend over) the upper tab on the upper air duct to get it past and through the harness. Once I do that, I again line up the male/female connection point at the lower air duct, and only then will install the side bolt under the mirror and the 5 center screws in the middle. Once those are installed, I then finish bolting the larger black bolts between the lamp assemblies. Don't forget to hook up the headlamps up/down motor.

At this point is when I attach the connectors to each headlamp, and test that both hi/low headlamps work.

Tip ... to make the gromet and its line-up boss slipery, I spray the 2 with a strong mixture of Dawn and water.

Don't forget to install the plastic rivits that hold he upper airducts in place the subframe, and it does not matter wheather those rivits face in or out. The just need to be there.
Last edited by GoldWingrGreg on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Glad you chimed in on this one Greg. I know you have the most experience with this. I’ve only taken the fairing off and on a couple of times and it was no fun either time. I wouldn’t have even tried it without the book. :shock:
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

DrJerry wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:28 pm The repainting (same color) looks magnificent.
Soon I'm gonna remove my plastic also for a repaint. I have the following questions.
- How much was your repaint
- Did it include the paint
- What state are you in
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

DrJerry wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:28 pm I stripped my 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 to have it repainted. The repainting (same color) looks magnificent. But when I started putting the front upper cowling on (has headlights mounted in it, etc) the two side pieces don't come together as they should. Where they meet in center front touches at the top and is about 2 inches apart at the bottom. They are supposed to touch all the way down and be bolted together. I've had them off and back on so many times and each time I get the same thing, they don't come together right. Has anyone else experienced this. I'm at wits end (which isn't very far). I'm 77 and apparently a better rider than mechanic. If I don't get my girl back together, I'll be neither. Jerry. drjerry1776@comcast.net 412-613-9104
Got a photo of this?