Left Front Fork Internal Part Missing?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
pdetty
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Silver

Left Front Fork Internal Part Missing?

Post by pdetty »

Hey all,
I bought my bike in May 2021 with 72k miles on it. Just passed 80k. I lost the left front fork seal on my way out to a week of riding with the boss. Not good.
So, I ordered fork oil, fork seals, dust seals and both bushings for each fork and went to work.
All was going well until I opened up the left fork and found that the backup ring and the seal that mates to it do not exist on my bike (2005 Non-ABS). Or at least someone made them not exist.
I tried to find them on PZ. They are pictured but no item number exists in the parts list. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... front-fork
Item #41 and the bottom item in the #42 kit.
What is strange to me is that I installed the guide bushing until it bottomed out with the seal driver, then the #14 backup ring, then the new fork seal and I feel like the retaining ring has about 1mm of clearance between it and the top of the seal.
We took it out for ~300 miles and it seemed to handle OK, but we didn't really push it that much. Got home and discovered fork oil residue all over the cowling and wheel, so I tore it down again and found the new fork oil to be almost black and I had lost about 50% of it. I don't see any damage to the seal.

Should my bike have those components or is it normal to not have them on an '05 where other years do have them? If I change the year up to 2006, then the parts show up.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Left Front Fork Internal Part Missing?

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

It not unusual to have a gap between the fork seal and the lock ring. 2006-17 have different seal kits. The right side has 2 back-up rings, and the left side has a 3rd seal and an add'l back-up ring that is completely different then earlier 5th gens. From here, your set up sounds correct.
pdetty
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Silver

Post by pdetty »

Thanks GoldWingrGreg! I was starting to question my sanity! I did find a video on YT of a seal replacement on a 2003 and saw that it was the same as mine, but it also showed me that I had put the backup ring on after the seal like a fool - only on the LH side. Buttoned it back up and put about 80 miles on today with some intentional 'excessive stopping' exercises and I'm not seeing any leakage. Now to get all that crud cleaned off of all the pretty parts.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

The steel backup ring goes between the case bushing and the bottom seal.

If fork fluid gets on the caliper, often it causes any caliper rubber parts to swell. One of the properties of fork fluid is to do that to rubber. The rubber used in fork parts are intended for that ... not the rubber in brake parts. In a very short time, it will cause serious swelling and they may need replaced. If any fluid gets on the pads, those will need replced too. Here we'll even remove the rotor, put it in a solvant tank, and run hole brush in each cooling hole, with a final washing in Dawn and water. Any left over oil can affect braking and possibly cause noise.