Knocking noise at idle

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
JohnV
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Knocking noise at idle

Post by JohnV »

I just bought my first goldwing and it is a 2006 with 36,000 miles. It is very nice, only regrete is I should have done this 20 years ago...LOL
This YouTube is not my bike, but it is the exact same noise (knock?) my bike makes at idle. When increasing the RPM's is does quiet down some. I do not really hear it when riding, but it could be ground noise masking it. The bike did not make this noise when I bought it. The oil was dark, so I took it to a motorcycle shop and had them change the oil and oil filter (said the used guinuine Honda oil and filter). I also had him change the air filter and general inspection. Coolant and final drive were low and he topped them off. Noise started shortly after, I have been idling around alot in the parking lot to work on slow manuvers.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Any ideas would be appreciated. I have Googled and YouTube GL1800 engine noise and GL1800 engine knocking, but to no real thoughts or suggestions.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Knocking noise at idle

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

The first thing the Wing in the video needs is a good running engine. What I hear is ADG (alternator drive gear) noise. Most 2006-17 have similar noise ... some are more quiet, and some are more loud. Some are more noticable when the oil is cold, while other once the oil gets warm. However, all ADG noise is far more prononced when the engine is not running well. Here are maintenace items that will make a GL1800 not run as well as it should. Spark plugs, injectors, old gas, dirty air filter, valve that need adjusted, a failing battery, plug wires and coils failing, proper exhaust that creates proper back pressure. Once the Wing in the video get "tuned-up," and the engine then running as designed, I'd be interested in re-listening to his ADG.

From my arm chair, everytime he accellerates, the Wing is under performing. From experiance, I'm sure the rider will go on and on about how it runs perfect ... really !!!
JohnV
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Knocking noise at idle

Post by JohnV »

Ok, I will have the valves ran through and new spark plugs for a start. New spark plugs just so I know what I have. Might have been old gas when I bought it, but I have run a fresh tank through, Thank you