Mounting the Garmin XT

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tonyj
Motorcycle: G1800 2017

Mounting the Garmin XT

Post by tonyj »

Hi Gents, I bought my 2017 Goldwing this September. A low mileage machine at a fair price. I have an ST1100 and my Garmin XT is mounted on a custom bracket (made in Germany) which allows the GPS to be mount just above the dash slap bang in the centre of view and just above the speedo and rev counter, the only true place it should be, in my opinion.

When I got the Goldwing I had a dilemmma? Where on earth can I mount the Zumo?
I scoured the images on the internet, some were fastened to the screen louvre, others on the handlebar near the switches. One was near the storage pocket/air bag area via a elaborate mounting plate. I did not want something the was an eysore.

After much head scratching I have a brainwave.... Could I use magnets or vacuum suckers?
Purely by chance I spotted some black metal bookends in a hardware store. Made in China it was they were painted metal plate about 6" wide 7" tall with a 3" x 6" angle. The grey cells were in overtime. A light bulb moment saw me removing the dash, unclipping the speaker leads and finally the main LED connector. I'd purchased some 30mm circular neodymium magnets. On viewing the dash from the reverse side I observed a void between the small shelf (which lies just the LED display panel). Using some UPVC sealant I fixed two round magnets centred right at the front edge of the 'shelf' and one at the back end were the plastic lies just below the speedo/rev-counter screen. The next day the dash was refitted. The bookend was placed in position and 'click' the magnets gripped it in position.... Eureka!!!!

One of the bookends was drilled to receive the Garmin bracket and power lead. A female cigarette power take off was fitted in the left hand pocket as per the norm and its male counterpart soldered to the Garmin lead. The Zumo was snapped into place and the bike powered up. Wow! Just what I wanted. To prevent scratching of the dash I stuck 3M film on the dash and the underneath side of the the bookend mount. Rubber edge was fixed and this allowed the bookend mount to slide off easily away from the clutches of the magnets. I attached 2 more magnets on top plate for added grip the the hidden magnets inside the dash panel beneath.
There has been no interference to the LED display. So delighted was I with this setup, that I got my car Garmin Drivesmart 61 and made another improved version using a bigger bookend and cutting in size so it rested on the 'shelf' and sat just behind the trip/setup buttons.
See the attached photos and I hope they are of some help.

Tony
(UK)
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Mounting the Garmin XT

Post by WingAdmin »

Love it! What a great idea, and it looks clean.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
191K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
28K Miles

Post by MikeB »

With the GPS mount and the GPS in place, how do you read what is on the LCD panel?
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
tonyj

Post by tonyj »

Hi Mike, that's the only downside you can't see the LED screen.... :oops:

I don't listen to audio on the Wing Mike and the only gripe is the trip readings. If I was going to spend a couple of hours in the saddle and filled the tank up at a petrol station, I would zero the trip meter as normal but also would have to note the remaining 'trip' mileage on the Garmin. To be fair Mike it can easily be slid over for a brief moment say at traffic lights to check the odometer reading.
Right from the start of this exercise I wanted the position of the Garmin to be central on the dash so it was the slightest of glances from looking at the road ahead to the satnav.

On dry days using the car Garmin Drivesmart allows the benefit of a bigger screen, also they are half the price of the Zumo!
The downsides here are ;-
1. having to touch the screen with gloves off to make changes but to be fair Mike I don't like doing that to the Zumo XT whilst riding anyway.
2. The Drivesmart isn't waterproof (no probs in California thought :D )

Tony
tonyj

Post by tonyj »

Morning Gents, I took the Wing out for another trial of my Garmin mount with the Drivesmart 61. I was very pleased with the outcome. Initially my gloved hand appeared to fail when touching the screen however on this mornings run a firmer press did the job!

The Drivesmart is secured by a ball & socket arrangement and pressing the screen firmly will result in the Garmin moving slightly, so I decided to glue the ball & socket together with two part epoxy in the ideal position so future trips is just a clip on and off affair. The bigger screen is fantastic :shock:

With the Drivesmart not being waterproof, it is only suitable for a sunny days and unfortunately that is a gamble living in the UK. I was wondering if you guys out there have any ideas as to how to waterproof the Drivesmart? I was wondering whether any type of cover would be suitable? Using Clingfilm is a bit too Heath Robinson even for my standards :D

One could modify my initial idea to support a mobile phone or small tablet perhaps.

Tony
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

tonyj wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:39 am Morning Gents, I took the Wing out for another trial of my Garmin mount with the Drivesmart 61. I was very pleased with the outcome. Initially my gloved hand appeared to fail when touching the screen however on this mornings run a firmer press did the job!

The Drivesmart is secured by a ball & socket arrangement and pressing the screen firmly will result in the Garmin moving slightly, so I decided to glue the ball & socket together with two part epoxy in the ideal position so future trips is just a clip on and off affair. The bigger screen is fantastic :shock:

With the Drivesmart not being waterproof, it is only suitable for a sunny days and unfortunately that is a gamble living in the UK. I was wondering if you guys out there have any ideas as to how to waterproof the Drivesmart? I was wondering whether any type of cover would be suitable? Using Clingfilm is a bit too Heath Robinson even for my standards :D

One could modify my initial idea to support a mobile phone or small tablet perhaps.
You might want to look at Glovetacts for your gloves to make them work with the screen.

When I had a TomTom GPS on my bike, I just carried some Ziploc sandwich bags. For light rain, the fairing and windshield kept it dry. If I was going to be in a downpour, I would just pull out a Ziploc bag and put it over top of the GPS. I could still read and operate the GPS, and it kept rain off of it. Worked great for years.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
191K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
28K Miles

Post by MikeB »

tonyj wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:18 pm Hi Mike, that's the only downside you can't see the LED screen.... :oops:

I don't listen to audio on the Wing Mike and the only gripe is the trip readings. If I was going to spend a couple of hours in the saddle and filled the tank up at a petrol station, I would zero the trip meter as normal but also would have to note the remaining 'trip' mileage on the Garmin. To be fair Mike it can easily be slid over for a brief moment say at traffic lights to check the odometer reading.
Right from the start of this exercise I wanted the position of the Garmin to be central on the dash so it was the slightest of glances from looking at the road ahead to the satnav.

On dry days using the car Garmin Drivesmart allows the benefit of a bigger screen, also they are half the price of the Zumo!
The downsides here are ;-
1. having to touch the screen with gloves off to make changes but to be fair Mike I don't like doing that to the Zumo XT whilst riding anyway.
2. The Drivesmart isn't waterproof (no probs in California thought :D )

Tony
Here is an old post from another forum. https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/us ... st-5487585
it is the route I took for mounting my Garmin Nuvi 1490. It also works for the 1450, 2450 or other similarly sized Nuvi models.

The fellow that makes the mounts is named Roger and he goes by the screen name of Yoda.

Covering the LCD screen was never an option for me.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Here are pictures of how I mounted my Tom Tom Rider GPS and now my Garmin 396 is mounted.

Both top and bottom brackets are approximately 3.5 inches long before the bend. The top bracket bends down about 1/2 inch and the bottom bracket bends up about 2 inches. So you have to figure the brackets have to be that much longer to get the proper bends. The verticle bolt with lock nut is all that holds the bracket to the dash. I added double sided tape to the top bracket where it makes contact with the top of the dash. I use my dremel to make a half circle above the instruments for the power chord to run behind the instruments and snake under the right side pocket and use handle bar grip warmer connector (stock on my 2005) not otherwise used. It is the same acc. red connector that you also find on the left side pocket area.

I have over 47,000 miles with this bracket and never had a problem with it. The key is to have the top bracket where it bends down to be filed exactly right to make the bolt pinch everything together but not so much that you make it so tight it puts an impression in the dash.

The material can be bought at any Lowes store for about $10 bucks for alluminum strap 1" by 1/8" by 5 feet (I Think ). Hacksaw pieces for what you need.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
tonyj

Post by tonyj »

Mike/Terry, the Yoda unit seems a great idea and in the best position too, and I agree Mike, covering the LCD isn't for everybody.

It is ironic that when Honda released the SatNav model of the GL1800, it was located perfectly (for me), but as the years pass and GPS software moves forwards with the new technology, they soon look out of place. BMW had it with their models that were fitted with 'branded' Garmin's and Zumo's, only to be outdone when the XT came along.
I have spoken to owners of the new Goldwing who weren't that enthused with the GPS incarnation in that model?

In the world of 3D printing I'm sure there will be a way to scan the dash moulding and fabricate a sort of polycarbonate cowl that slides above the dash/LCD area and hugs the unit.
If that came along it might sell like hotcakes :D

Tony
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Great innovation and solution. Recognizing you are across the pond and some sources that we have here are not as easy to come by.

The "Yoda" mount is on our Product Review page:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=63546

There is a bracket that attaches to your windshield vent which does not block anything. Electrical connection sells a mount that slides over and clamps to the dash visor.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Andy, I had the windshield mount that attaches to the vent area and took it off. I was afraid it would shake too much with the GPS mounted on it and would eventually crack the windshield. So, I made my own dash mount as shown above. I can show a view of the GPS from the Driver's view. If I can find it. The sun cover doesn't really point up at an angle as the picture depicts. I added one over the other to block out the overhead sun better from the GPS screen. The only time it is hard to read the screen is early morning or at dusk when the sun is directly behind you.

Image/img]

Attachments

It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.