Cluctch ills,

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
pmuns561
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda goldwing gl1800

Cluctch ills,

Post by pmuns561 »

I just recently rebuilt my clutch slave cylinder,and clutch master cylinder, can’t get clutch at all. Bled system used two bottles of fluid doing it. no air in system. Start bike pull clutch put in gear, bike goes into gear stalls out bike. Any ideas would be great. I’ve checked pressure in line at mast cyl it’s good. Checked line pressure at slave cylinder it’s good. Pulled slave cylinder it works lots of pressure and get resistance on clutch lever. When all put back together I get the symptoms listed above and very little clutch pressure?????? Not sure what’s going on.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Cluctch ills,

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

pmuns561 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:05 pm I just recently rebuilt my clutch slave cylinder,and clutch master cylinder, can’t get clutch at all. Bled system used two bottles of fluid doing it. no air in system. Start bike pull clutch put in gear, bike goes into gear stalls out bike. Any ideas would be great. I’ve checked pressure in line at mast cyl it’s good. Checked line pressure at slave cylinder it’s good. Pulled slave cylinder it works lots of pressure and get resistance on clutch lever. When all put back together I get the symptoms listed above and very little clutch pressure?????? Not sure what’s going on.
Year and milage is always helpful ???
Is this a trike ???
Why were either overhauled ???

When I replace the clutch m/c, I always start by bleeding the m/c by releasing the banjo bolt. Next, I bleed the system at the slave cylinder bleeder. I then rebleed again at the banjo.
pmuns561

Post by pmuns561 »

06 goldwing gl1800 got it with no clutch figured it was needing bled decided to rebuild both parts to maybe be sure that was it. Thinking I’ve still maybe got an air pocket somewhere. Gonna try one more bleeding. Hopefully it will work.
Crusty1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2007 ST1300A ABS

Post by Crusty1 »

Check the bronze bushing in the clutch lever. If it is worn out the pushrod will not push into the master cylinder far enough to disengage the clutch.
pmuns561

Post by pmuns561 »

Update the master cyl has pressure at banjo connection. Took off hose held finger over hole, have pressure blows fluid past finger. Resistance is felt at clutch lever. Took hose off at slave cyl held thumb and finger over hose pulled clutch got soaked in fluid. Clutch lever has good resistance. Took slave cylinder out. I am 6 ft4inches at 255 lbs put socket against inside of slave cylinder used my hand and body weight on back of cylinder and it would push inner cylinder to end of cylinder. Resistance at clutch lever no bleed off on pressure at all. Put it back together and almost no resistance when clutch lever is pulled. Still no clutch. Has anyone ever had this and is it an internal failure on the clutch pressure plate or bearings? I am totally baffled by this. Also the bushing is good at clutch lever.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

pmuns561 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:57 pm Update the master cyl has pressure at banjo connection. Took off hose held finger over hole, have pressure blows fluid past finger. Resistance is felt at clutch lever. Took hose off at slave cyl held thumb and finger over hose pulled clutch got soaked in fluid. Clutch lever has good resistance. Took slave cylinder out. I am 6 ft4inches at 255 lbs put socket against inside of slave cylinder used my hand and body weight on back of cylinder and it would push inner cylinder to end of cylinder. Resistance at clutch lever no bleed off on pressure at all. Put it back together and almost no resistance when clutch lever is pulled. Still no clutch. Has anyone ever had this and is it an internal failure on the clutch pressure plate or bearings? I am totally baffled by this. Also the bushing is good at clutch lever.
With the slave cylinder removed, is the rod that it pushes on there ??? If so, pull it out and remove it to inspect the rod. When rolled across a flat surface, it should be straight. It should have no damage, and both ends should look identical. Reinstall it ... next, verify that you have a working clutch.

On a center stand, with the slave cylinder remove, start the Wing in neutral, and verify that the rear wheel is not touching pavement. Without touching the clutch lever, shift the wing into 3rd, and verify that when accelerating maybe up to 2,000 rpms, that when applying the rear brake hard, that the engine dies.
pmuns561

Post by pmuns561 »

Fixed the problem. Senior moment, was so pumped on getting bike up and running missed common sense issue. Like I said senior moment. Can’t believe no one posted this answer though. Here goes: I had the side stand down and never noticed it until this evening when I went out to re-evaluate what was going on. Never noticed the S light in dash either. Thank You to all who answered and tried to help me, it was much appreciated. Now to enjoy the ride.LOL
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

pmuns561 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:47 pm Fixed the problem. Senior moment, was so pumped on getting bike up and running missed common sense issue. Like I said senior moment. Can’t believe no one posted this answer though. Here goes: I had the side stand down and never noticed it until this evening when I went out to re-evaluate what was going on. Never noticed the S light in dash either. Thank You to all who answered and tried to help me, it was much appreciated. Now to enjoy the ride.LOL
OK ... I reread you OP. I was taking "stalls out" as in something like clutch locking up ... mechanical in nature. I should have questioned what you were saying. In the industry, yours "dies" when letting out on the clutch. Glad you have it fixed.

However, it should not die when letting out the clutch. If the side stand is down, and in nuetral to start the Wing, when putting it in gear it should die, and the dieing should have nothing to do with letting out on the clutch. Does it die when letting out the clutch, or when putting it in gear with the side stand down ???
pmuns561

Post by pmuns561 »

Clutch was in, side stand down. Put it in first bike would die. This was all with clutch in and never released. Put up side stand everything worked as should. I’ve got an 08 suzuki that will do same thing if side stand is down when put into gear. Never put the two together. Like I said senior moment I guess lol.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

pmuns561 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:18 am Clutch was in, side stand down. Put it in first bike would die. This was all with clutch in and never released. Put up side stand everything worked as should. I’ve got an 08 suzuki that will do same thing if side stand is down when put into gear. Never put the two together. Like I said senior moment I guess lol.
The way you're describing it now is how it should be :)