GL 1800 shut down at idle and now won't start

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
mpagegold
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Goldwing Audio

GL 1800 shut down at idle and now won't start

Post by mpagegold »

2009 Goldwing 1800 Trike shut off at traffic light and won't start. Battery is fairly new and fully charged. At ignition, dash and all lights come on as usual, but when I hit the start button, I hear a clunk, lights dim, fuel gauge drops down, and no other sound (not even trying to crank). Green neutral light is on (trike IS definitely in neutral because I can roll it). Only 21,000 miles and garage kept. Please help! Thanks.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: GL 1800 shut down at idle and now won't start

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

mpagegold wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:28 am 2009 Goldwing 1800 Trike shut off at traffic light and won't start. Battery is fairly new and fully charged. At ignition, dash and all lights come on as usual, but when I hit the start button, I hear a clunk, lights dim, fuel gauge drops down, and no other sound (not even trying to crank). Green neutral light is on (trike IS definitely in neutral because I can roll it). Only 21,000 miles and garage kept. Please help! Thanks.
Can you make a video of the "clunk", post it on youtube, and copy and paste the link here. FYI ... in the video, if you don't here the clunk, don't bother posting it.
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

I don't have a YouTube account and don't want one...not even sure I know how to upload to their site. I can only email or text the video. My email is rustydusty9899@gmail.com if you want to see/hear the video of my non-start! Thanks for anyone willing to help. The local Honda dealer won't touch it, even though I have been a customer for years. I can't see to locate a m/c mechanic in the Richmond, VA area who wants to mess with it.
It ran fine a year ago. Greg, I emailed my video to you.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

That's an odd sound. Could it be a starter trying to turn ??? If you remove the right engine cover, I think you should be able to reach in and touch the starter. Are you able to feel anything when the noise happens ??? I know you have a new battery, but in the world of repair that only means that it is new, which in no way shape or form, will mean that its good. So the next thing to do is to have it professionally tested to know that its a good one. Be sure your connections are clean and tight. If you have extra wires attached to your battery posts, for test purposes, remove those.

Do you have a Service Manual ???
Last edited by GoldWingrGreg on Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

Do not have a manual. Wish I did.
I have been messing with this and need to charge the battery (measured 12.4 a few days ago). When I turned the key all lights came on, the voltage read 11.5 with ignition on, and when I hit the start button, the battery voltage dropped to 6 V. Is it supposed to drop off that much? If not, should I just get a new battery (I have a YUASA GYz20L)?
I will need a couple of days.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

mpagegold wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:48 pm Do not have a manual. Wish I did.
I have been messing with this and need to charge the battery (measured 12.4 a few days ago). When I turned the key all lights came on, the voltage read 11.5 with ignition on, and when I hit the start button, the battery voltage dropped to 6 V. Is it supposed to drop off that much? If not, should I just get a new battery (I have a YUASA GYz20L)?
I will need a couple of days.
Please read my last post. Hopefully I recommened that your battery be professionally tested. If it tests bad, then it needs replaced.
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

Forgot to mention I had Batteries + charge it (95% max) and put a load on it. They said it was fine. It started fine 4 times, and was driven about 76 total miles before it just shut off at a light. The battery is 2 years old and was never trickle charged, which I was told is not good to use a tender.
I hate to buy a new battery if that is not the problem. It is charging now. Will see what happens tomorrow.
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

While I am not a mechanic nor a battery expert, all signs point to a bad cell in the battery. You could possiblyhave a bad ground, but my money is on the battery. Yes those pesky batteries can fool a test at a battery store. For around $100 you can buy a decent AGM battery and then buy yourself a Battery tender for plugging in during those long no ride stretches and storage times. I've been using them for over 15 years here in MN with great luck and success. Good luck!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

Thanks, Bob. I thought the same and bought a new AGM battery, but voltage still drops to 8 when I hit the start button. No sound and lights go off or dim as usual.
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Mpagegold,
Well that takes me back to the short or bad ground....and locating that is not easy at all. Good luck in your search and diagnosis of the problem.

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Where are you measuring that voltage?
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

Taking voltage on battery terminals.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

8 volts at the terminals while cranking with a good battery means your starter is basically a dead short. So, either the starter is bad or something is locked up. Can you turn the engine over either with a wrench, or by turning the rear wheel in gear?
farmer148
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800

Post by farmer148 »

I am also getting the impression that the engine is locked up from everything that is written. Needs to be checked for this.
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

You can push start GL-1800's.
That would eliminate the engine being locked up. Motorcycle starters can't get stuck like on cars because they don't have a bendix nor a flywheel. My starter and one of the two starter solenoids went bad at the same time (or one destroyed the other) while visiting family out of state. The Honda dealer there told me they don't work on 20 year old bikes in the summer so I had to push start it to get back home. They do make a rebuild kit for it (Hard to find as it is not advertised as such) but the winding's on the armature where the brushes ride were damaged too badly so I had to get a used one. Not a fun job but I did replace the shock, spring and hydraulic hose while I was in there. There are videos on YouTube that will walk you through the steps to do both of these jobs. Also I recommend replacing both of the solenoids with new ones. I carry the good one that I replaced with me when I travel.

You can jump start GL-1800's
I have had a brand new battery go bad in less than a week of use. It drove me crazy. Everything said it was bad and needed to be replaced but I knew better. It would charge, It showed around 11.5 VDC and dropped to almost nothing when I pressed the starter button. I then eliminate the battery from the equation by disconnecting it totally from the bike and using a car or jump box to start it. The battery was in fact bad and I replaced it. Fortunately for me it was still under warranty and other than the trip back to the place of purchase, it cost me nothing.
mpagegold

Post by mpagegold »

I think there may be an issue with the starter. Due to a shoulder injury, I can’t push it, although I did gently rock it in gear. I could move it further than usual…a whole foot! I will need to find someone in the Richmond, VA who is willing to work in this beautiful trike.
All suggestions are welcomed, but I assure you it is not the battery! I will recheck all fuses in a few days.
I appreciate the goldwing forum!!!