So joined the 1800 club... what do I need to know?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

So joined the 1800 club... what do I need to know?

Post by blupupher »

So as the title says, I got a new to me 2002 GL1800A (what does the "A" mean?) today.
Bike has 54,000 miles on it and comes with a color matched Bushtec Quantum GL trailer with less than 1000 miles on it (not sure if I will keep it, but will give it a go).

Has had all recalls done (frame and brakes is all there are, correct?) and had the Traxxion Full Monty done on it 8,000 miles ago.
Also comes with heated grips and Corbin seat and a few Kuryakyn Farkles. PO included a spare rear rim with a good tire on it (tire is a 180/70/16) he had to buy when traveling, he said it made the bike too tall for him, so he got the 180/60/16 when he returned that is on there now with 4,000 miles on it. He also gave me his helmets with intercom setup on them, a luggage rack case (only used once), as well as a Clymer manual and Honda service manual.

I picked it up and had a 4 hour ride home with trailer in tow.
An uneventful trip, and while I will not say I could not tell the trailer was there, I will say I forgot it was there when I was cruising. Low speed I could tell easily it was there, but not any problem, braking was different, but again, nothing bad.
I do plan on changing brake fluid (front and rear), clutch fluid, diff fluid, and coolant soon.
Will check the clutch bushing as well, and give the switches a spray down with electrical contact cleaner till I can get around to disassembling and lubing them correctly. I have not looked at brake pads, but he said they were done when the Traxxion was done, but will look at them eventually (when I bleed the brakes).
Oil, spark plugs and filter only have ~ 3500 miles on them, but almost 2 years since done, so will change oil @ 55,000 miles, then do 5,000 mile intervals after that. Are plugs every 10,000 miles on the 1800?
I just adjusted the brake pedal, it was way too high for my liking (just moved it down 1 notch and is good now) and need to figure out how to adjust the shifter, it also sits too high for my liking. Nice having adjustable levers, have brake set at 4, clutch set at 3
I found the drivers seat heater is not working, so need to look into that (no idea if passenger works, will look at that at the same time).

Are there any "watchouts" I need to be aware of off hand?
I have read about some ECU issues on some bikes causing some idle and surging issues. I seem to have read of some alternator issues as well, but does not seem to be as bad as the 1500 is.
How often do I need to check valves? And service not mentinged that I need to look into?

1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Re: So joined the 1800 club... what do I need to know?

Post by joecoolsuncle »

dammit boy! thats beautiful! know why i sukk so bad? cause i aint got that bike!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm dammit boy! thats beautiful! know why i sukk so bad? cause i aint got that bike!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Maybe one day you can be as cool as I think I am. :lol:

I was just out looking at the spare rear tire, and it has a Dunlop E3 with a 2008 date code. Umm, nope, that will not be put on the bike.
The tires on the bike (Shinko 890 Journey) have 2021 date codes on both and don't appear to really have any miles on them, so they will be on there for a bit.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Congratulations on the new ride. Looks very nice.

Grab a service manual when you can and the Fred Harmon/Angel ride videos. I just saw the videos on Wingstuff Black Friday site.

Not many fans of the Shinko tires. Interested in how you like them.

The lever bushings on the GL1800 do not seem as problematic as they are on the GL1500 so I would not change for the sake of change; only if there is a real issue.

For your own baseline, you may want to check the valve clearance. Again, changeout for a new to you baseline, but spark plugs at 10.000 seems unnecessary. Battery age may be a concern or area to watch. Air filter is probably a good idea as well (sorry).

Stop by a Honda dealer with VIN and get a service report to verify recalls and warranty work.

Keep the trailer for a while. Not my favorite but it's a good one and it's "free."

Corbin heater has a separate wire to battery and hopefully its own fuse. Battery connections should be checked and cleaned anyway.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

Yes merry Christmas!!

Go over the farkel wiring make sure it is solidly done. No rub points, correct fuses, no speaker wire (yea Ive seen it) soldered connectors. Ect ect. Also on a wiring side note. My bike rarely goes to the dealer (3 times since 2006 new bought by me) So wherever the tech will be working my habit is to remove farkles/wiring as I believe it is not he responsibility of the tech to deal with that stuff. So if you are familiar with your farkels and wiring and agree with my philosophy its easy enough to remove and or move stuff out of the way.

Did the last owner mention replacing any coolant hoses?? I will guess the 2001 is not dissimilar to the 2006. The coolant drain has two small hoses that run close to the exhaust manifold to under the cylinder heads. I'd bet a months social security check (ha!) that after 20 years they are very very very crispy. Sorry, but IMHO a new thermostat and rad cap is in order too. Thermostat is under the fuel tank. Sorry bro!

I will mirror Andy and urge you to buy a factory service manual. It will be priceless over the long haul, if your intention is to keep this wonderful getaway machine we call a 1800 goldwing a loooooong time. It will show you how to put stuff back together exactly as it came off the assembly line.

Safe riding!! :D
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Andy Cote wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:06 am Congratulations on the new ride. Looks very nice.

Grab a service manual when you can and the Fred Harmon/Angel ride videos. I just saw the videos on Wingstuff Black Friday site.

Not many fans of the Shinko tires. Interested in how you like them.

The lever bushings on the GL1800 do not seem as problematic as they are on the GL1500 so I would not change for the sake of change; only if there is a real issue.

For your own baseline, you may want to check the valve clearance. Again, changeout for a new to you baseline, but spark plugs at 10.000 seems unnecessary. Battery age may be a concern or area to watch. Air filter is probably a good idea as well (sorry).

Stop by a Honda dealer with VIN and get a service report to verify recalls and warranty work.

Keep the trailer for a while. Not my favorite but it's a good one and it's "free."

Corbin heater has a separate wire to battery and hopefully its own fuse. Battery connections should be checked and cleaned anyway.
Got a Clymer and Honda Service manual from previous owner. He also said he has the Fred Harman videos somewhere and will send them to me when he finds them.
I was just going to take a look at the bushing, only take a few seconds to pull it and look at it, will do it when I flush the clutch fluid in the next few days (as well as the multi step brake bleeding procedure). Will clean and lube it regardless.

I will update on the Shinko tires. Only 250 miles on dry highway towing a trailer. They are new, and are round and don't shake, so far so good. LOL.
I have read mixed review on Shinko overall. Many on a Honda Shadow forum have loved them (but they were the 777 and 230 series, none used the 890 Journey. Amazon reviews are mostly positive).

Valves were checked @ 35,000 miles, so will probably check them ~65,000 miles (one of the things I will miss about the hydraulic valve adjusters on the 1500).

Battery is almost 3 years old, but has been on a charger when not being ridden. It is a Duracell AGM. I do have a 6 month old AGM in the 1500 that will fit, so may swap that over.

I have the receipts from Honda for the brake and frame recall (as well as the stamps on the frame by the VIN and brake pedal).

Trailer is sitting in the garage for now (had to move my wifes car out since I still have the 1500, and now a 1800 and the trailer, as well as a washer and dryer we are holding for my mother in law for a few weeks). A 2 car garage is just not big enough for all that plus the car.
I will keep it at least a year and see if I will use it. I never had a need for it on my 1500, and don't see my use changing to need it. The Bushtec seem to hold value decently, and this one is in great shape with new tires plus spare.

I checked the fuses for the seat heater and they are good, but the PO told me he may have forgotten to plug them in last time seat was off, so will check that out later, he also gave me a pdf file of the install and troubleshooting, so will look at that as well.
Asphaltmaniac wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 pm Yes merry Christmas!!

Go over the farkel wiring make sure it is solidly done. No rub points, correct fuses, no speaker wire (yea Ive seen it) soldered connectors. Ect ect. Also on a wiring side note. My bike rarely goes to the dealer (3 times since 2006 new bought by me) So wherever the tech will be working my habit is to remove farkles/wiring as I believe it is not he responsibility of the tech to deal with that stuff. So if you are familiar with your farkels and wiring and agree with my philosophy its easy enough to remove and or move stuff out of the way.

Did the last owner mention replacing any coolant hoses?? I will guess the 2001 is not dissimilar to the 2006. The coolant drain has two small hoses that run close to the exhaust manifold to under the cylinder heads. I'd bet a months social security check (ha!) that after 20 years they are very very very crispy. Sorry, but IMHO a new thermostat and rad cap is in order too. Thermostat is under the fuel tank. Sorry bro!

I will mirror Andy and urge you to buy a factory service manual. It will be priceless over the long haul, if your intention is to keep this wonderful getaway machine we call a 1800 goldwing a loooooong time. It will show you how to put stuff back together exactly as it came off the assembly line.

Safe riding!! :D
No idea on coolant hoses, I know coolant was changed in past 18 months, but will look into that when in the area doing stuff. May just order and change them when I do a coolant change at 60,000 miles.

I plan to keep this bike a long time (was planning the same with the 1500 till it had other ideas), so I want to learn what I can to keep it going.

Also, I am guessing the "A" stands for ABS, as I found that this bike is an ABS bike (just another plus).
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

How much for the Dunlop E3 with the 2008 date code?
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

blupupher wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:25 pm
joecoolsuncle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm dammit boy! thats beautiful! know why i sukk so bad? cause i aint got that bike!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Maybe one day you can be as cool as I think I am. :lol:

I was just out looking at the spare rear tire, and it has a Dunlop E3 with a 2008 date code. Umm, nope, that will not be put on the bike.
The tires on the bike (Shinko 890 Journey) have 2021 date codes on both and don't appear to really have any miles on them, so they will be on there for a bit.
im already cool. i wear a thug hat too!
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen »

It sounds and looks like you got a good bike. Of course, you need to check everything out and do your maintenance updates, but you should be okay if it's good running condition. I agree with the other comments on the Shinko tires, but ride them until it's time for replacement (which won't be long). The trailer is a gift! I'd keep it unless you REALLY don't want it. Using it once, even around town going to the store will cover its worth in holding on to it. As you have seen, Bustec trailers do hold their value. It's probably worth half the cost of the bike itself.
Also, I'm sure you realize that the 1500 and the 1800 are different bikes. I had two 1500's and love the ride. I had to get used to the 1800. Since you have to Traxxion update on yours, it may feel close to the same ride. The 1800 is a more sport tuned ride, where the 1500 is a more comfort/touring ride. I'm used to the 1800 now, but it is different.