2001 GL1800 sweet smell after refueling

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
charliem
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

2001 GL1800 sweet smell after refueling

Post by charliem »

Sometimes, not always, my bike has a sweet type of smell after refueling. When it happens it seems to continue until the fuel gets to half full. The odor isn't like raw gasoline. It has a sort of sweet smell to it. One assumption is I've over filled it and the fuel leaked into the vapor vents in the filler neck of the fuel tank. I've done that before and the odor has been raw gasoline. What would cause it to have the sweet smell if that in fact is the cause? The bike has approximately 130,000 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

JJF
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Gold Wing

Re: 2001 GL1800 sweet smell after refueling

Post by JJF »

"Sweet smell" sounds like an antifreeze leak. Did you recently add antifreeze? Perhaps you overfilled and are smelling the overflow. If you spilled a bit while refilling at the radiator, that smell can last for a very long time. Also, check for a loose radiator cap.
charliem

Post by charliem »

I haven't added any anti-freeze and the reservoir level hasn't changed. I'm familiar with the smell of anti-freeze and it's not a typical anti-freeze smell. This has happened three times the last five or six times I've refueled. The odor is more of a burnt sweet smell. Someone needs to figure out how to send odors electronically :-)

Thanks
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Have you ever layed the bike over to replace a rear tire ??? Also, according to Honda's Maintanence Schedule, every 12k the Evaporator Emission Control system requrires inspection, has that been done ???
charliem

Post by charliem »

Have you ever laid the bike over to replace a rear tire ??? Also, according to Honda's Maintenance Schedule, every 12k the Evaporator Emission Control system requires inspection, has that been done ???

I have not removed the rear tire by laying the bike over. About six months ago I was looking for a strong gasoline odor and removed the canister and the flexible hoses. The hoses were not obstructed. The canister did seem to be obstructed. I blew it out with some air and it finally opened up and the air passed through the canister freely. After reassembling the canister and hoses the gasoline odor was gone. I'm thinking about removing the canister to see if its obstructed again.

I looked for a new canister the last time I had it apart. The only ones I could find were used. Do you know if new or aftermarket canisters are available?

Thanks,
Charlie
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

charliem wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:20 pm Have you ever laid the bike over to replace a rear tire ??? Also, according to Honda's Maintenance Schedule, every 12k the Evaporator Emission Control system requires inspection, has that been done ???

I have not removed the rear tire by laying the bike over. About six months ago I was looking for a strong gasoline odor and removed the canister and the flexible hoses. The hoses were not obstructed. The canister did seem to be obstructed. I blew it out with some air and it finally opened up and the air passed through the canister freely. After reassembling the canister and hoses the gasoline odor was gone. I'm thinking about removing the canister to see if its obstructed again.

I looked for a new canister the last time I had it apart. The only ones I could find were used. Do you know if new or aftermarket canisters are available?

Thanks,
Charlie
Be sure to remove both hoses off the right side of the canister and inspect their ends for cracking. Do the same to the one on top of the tank. Any cracking and they need replaced. When doing major services on 5th gens, here they get replaced all the time. If that does not help, you can try testing the valve that opens to allow fumes to pass through it. Most likely you'll find nothing wrong with it. The other possibillities are replacing the canister and fuel cap. The only test I know for a fuel cap is to remove it and inspect the underside to make sure it is sealing. As for the canister, I've never heard of one plugging, and have also never cut one open. In side I would expect to find charcole held in some sort of sack. In my mind, it yours was plugged, that's not a good sign.

A newer canister will bolt up and fit. Of coarse know one know what the differances are, but do beleive that yours has a drain hole, and the 2006-17s have a nipple. Your Wing has room for one with a nipple.