Newbie here... need a little help.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Henry262
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Newbie here... need a little help.

Post by Henry262 »

Hi Everyone,
Hopiing to get some direction on a goldwing. A little backstory... Brother passed away. His kids are grown and live a long distance. In his garage I found a 08 Goldwing that hasn't been used in many years and completely covered in years of dust. Kids have no interest in it at all. I trailered it home and washed it. Removed the old gas and got a new battery. It started and seemed to idle well. This is where I am at. My questions are what should I do from here. Fluids change? Replace brakes? Tires? Lastly I'm having a difficult time removing bugs and road grime from the faring.

Thank you for reading my first post. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 2013 BMW K1600GT

Re: Newbie here... need a little help.

Post by blupupher »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss.

For what you need to do, if tires are older than 5-6 years, they should be replaced soon, even if tread is good.
Brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil, rear drive oil all should be changed. I would change the air filter as well (and will let you check if it has become a nest to any rats/mice).
Brake pads don't need to be changed unless worn.
I would find a good PEA based fuel system cleaner (Techron is one of the most widely available) and run a double dose for 2-3 tanks to make sure the system is cleaned out, even with the old gas gone the lines could have a little debris left over.
Berryman B-12 is a decent alternative that is not a PEA based cleaner.

For the bugs, Try something like Simple Green/Purple Power. Get it wet, spray it down full strength, let it sit and then scrub with a soft cloth or sponge. You will need to wax it after since these products will strip the wax off the paint as well.
I am sure there are others with more detail experience than me, but this has always worked for me.

Another thing to use but takes a bit to get is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Stuff is amazing, cleans well, protects the paint and makes future clean ups easier, as well as it smells good.

One final thing, there were a few recalls that you need to check and see if they were taken care of (a brake recall is a big one for '08, there may be more).
Find This Item on Amazon:
Current ride: 2013 BMW K1600GT

Former rides: 2002 GL1800A, 2001 CB750, 1994 GL1500 SE, 1994 VT1100C , 1984 VF500F, 1982 CB750C, 1982 GS250T, 1981 CB900C, 1978 CB125s, 1976 TS185
Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Post by Ghostman »

Bugsb gone is a good bug remover. Simple green not so good especially around a lot of aluminum. Ive used Bugs b gone for years and its a good product and it wont hurt your wing. Simple Green makes a special version for use on aircraft for aluminum. I second the motion for Berryman B12 with the wing sitting so long with old gas. Dont forget to flush out the brake and clutch lines and change all fluids. 8 years with no use is a long time.
slickster
Motorcycle: 05 gl1800

Post by slickster »

Change the fluids and tires, ride it!...one of the best bikes ever built, hold their value well too...
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Welcome aboard Henry262

Along with the fluids & tires, change the valve stems, especially if the are the flexible rubber base that pulls in. Rubber hardens after 5 years and many old tire valve stems have cracked at speed and the result is instant air loss. Not a good thing riding in corners. Bad enough going straight.....
Be sure to use oil that is Jasco rated so as not to have friction modifiers as your wet clutch will slip with car oils if used.
Where are you located? United States(in your profile)isn't a good way to get help if needed.... lots of us are willing to help out if local.
Henry262
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Post by Henry262 »

Hi and thank you everyone! I am located in Glenview IL just north of Chicago. Thanks again and hope to see everyone this year.