Ooops & Embarrassing Electrical Issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
RonKam
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 with comfort package

Post by RonKam »

In a hurry to ride I was charging my GL1800 battery (still installed) and tried to start the bike while still connected to the charger. It only "starter chattered" because the battery was still weak but then I smelled the burn. So straight to the fuse box and after checking "ALL" fuses, found #4 Main fuse burnt. After waiting for the charge to finish, replacing the fuse AND disconnecting the charger I attempted another start. Situation now is "Nothing ELECTRICAL works except the starter and the GREEN "N" light indicating transmission in NUETRAL . No dash indications what so ever, No radio, No lights etc., "NOTHING"
When attempting to start, it turns over like the champ that it is but WILL not start. No smell of exhaust at all so I assume no spark either.

Is there another fuse somewhere?

RonKam

Post by RonKam »

In a hurry to ride I was charging my GL1800 battery (still installed) and tried to start the bike while still connected to the charger. It only "starter chattered" because the battery was still weak but then I smelled the burn. So straight to the fuse box and after checking "ALL" fuses, found #4 Main fuse burnt. After waiting for the charge to finish, replacing the fuse AND disconnecting the charger I attempted another start. Situation now is "Nothing ELECTRICAL works except the starter and the GREEN "N" light indicating transmission in NUETRAL . No dash indications what so ever, No radio, No lights etc., "NOTHING"
When attempting to start, it turns over like the champ that it is but WILL not start. No smell of exhaust at all so I assume no spark either.

Is there another fuse somewhere?

Ron "K"
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Ooops & Embarrassing Electrical Issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I would test all fuse with a test light.

For everyone else ... never try to start a Wing while it's hookled to a charger, and as the Owner's Manual says, do not jump start one either. Electrical damage can occure.
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

No jump starting even with another bike?
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Jump starting is a bad plan on any modern vehicle.
diecast collector
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Gold Wing level 2

Post by diecast collector »

Any chance the battery charger was hooked up backwards?
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

It's a known fact a lead-acid battery can be charged in reverse polarity.

I considered that, too, but discarded the thought because if the battery was connected up in the bike the alternator diodes should have prevented that, presenting a "Short Circuit" to the reverse polarity battery charger, unless the charger could provide enough "backward" current to blow the main fuse.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
diecast collector

But what might happen if you press starter button with battery charger hooked up wrong?
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

An alternator will present a dead short to reverse polarity through the rectification diodes. The regulator can also be damaged depending on type. If you get as far as turning the key on, more things will be damaged. By the time you get to pushing the start button it's pretty much all over but the crying. Oddly enough the starting solenoids and starter motor are such old technology that they typically won't be damaged by reverse polarity, it will just spin backwards. I would not be surprised to learn that some new cars have brushless starter motors, so they can join in the smokefest from a reversed battery.
RonKam

Post by RonKam »

Charger was not hooked up backwards, it was simply inappropriately "Hooked up" during engine start attempt.
In a hurry BAD plan.
Costly oversight.
Fuses blew in accordance with design.
Hopefully fuses protected system and component integrity from "dude in a hurry" issue.
Double-sided, 120/40 Main fuse B/ Power AMP Fuse blown on the 120 side.
New fuse in route. ETA early first week of January.
Maintaining confidence in Goldwing!!!
Now Beer-Thirty!!!
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

I totally support that beer thirty plan! :mrgreen:
diecast collector

It seems I may have tried to start Gold Wing in the past with battery charger attached, and charging. No problems then, but I will make a mental note not to do it again. I know I have tried jump starting in the past with no side effects.
diecast collector
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:59 am I would test all fuse with a test light.

For everyone else ... never try to start a Wing while it's hookled to a charger, and as the Owner's Manual says, do not jump start one either. Electrical damage can occure.
Correction ... it is not trying to start it that's important, but do not turn the key on. Here, we always remove the neg. cable when hooking up a battery charger.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

You'll need to find what burned, but the first thing I would check is the battery cables, terminals and tightness on the battery connectors.
RonKam

Post by RonKam »

Thanks Scott. Update today. Nothing (THANK GOD) burned but the 40/120 fuse. Did damage to the battery in that after full charged wouldn't turn the engine over to start. Got a new battery, charged it fully and installed it. YEE-HAH engine started right up and all accessories etc work fine. I saw no burned cables just that fuse. Took it out last night and today for an afternoon jaunt and everything worked as advertised. I'm lucky fuses had done their job and besides that cost me a battery. ($60.00 from Battery Sharks)

Thanks for the assist. Now posting for warm clothing (powered by the bike) recommendations.
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

This "no jump starting" thing has me concerned.

On our trip last fall my battery died after filling up at a gas station and in desperation I called the service manager at my home Honda dealer. After I described my situation he was sure it was just the battery and advised to get a jump if I could, but to make sure whoever I was able to find willing would have the vehicle off for the jump. It was successful and I was able to get the battery taken care of and there were and have been no other issues. This was back in October.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

It's not the jump starting per say, but many mistakes often made when doing it. Many times, the reason someone is jump starting in the first place is that something is wrong. If you have dirty or loose battery connections, and you attach cables you may or may not be getting connection to where you think you are. So, you can get current surges, and lack of control voltage signals. Computers and many solid-state components do not deal with that well. Also, if the voltage is low and a large load is present (like a starter) the current will be sky high and again, that can damage things. By far the best option is to remove the battery, charge it, and replace it. You never know if you have good connections until you try starting, and by then it's too late. If you were to verify everything with measurements before turning on the key, there would be no problem, but no one is going to do that, so it's better just not to jump or charge a connected battery at all. I've replaced a ton of solid-state parts destroyed by improper jump starting, welding near non-isolated electronics, and using cheap unregulated battery chargers. Never a problem with old vehicles, but fatal to new ones.
Dougrobinson
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A

Post by Dougrobinson »

I have boosted my GL1800 with a bad/dead battery from a car no problem. Battery just died after getting gas. Internal short I guess. I've used a Noco booster to start my bike a couple times after leaving the accessory on and I've used it to boost a couple of friends bikes. Never had a problem.
mrblanche
Motorcycle: None at present; researching.

Post by mrblanche »

Rambozo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:25 pm Jump starting is a bad plan on any modern vehicle.
Most modern vehicles (from the smallest car to the largest tractor/trailer) have dedicated lugs for connecting jump start cables or charging cables. This is to avoid the most common problems.
erkmann
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Audio/Comfort

Post by erkmann »

How do folks feel about jump starting using a portable booster battery connected to the SAE terminal used for the trickle-charger?
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

erkmann wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:12 pm How do folks feel about jump starting using a portable booster battery connected to the SAE terminal used for the trickle-charger?
Those wires are too small to handle the current. At best if fused, the fuse will blow. If unfused, the wires will melt making them a fuse.