LiPo (lithium-polimer) battery

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
bertihon
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800

LiPo (lithium-polimer) battery

Post by bertihon »

hi for everyone.
my GW's battery went to vomit then gave back it's reg number :-( (i mean dead)... i don't know how old was it, the bike is 8 years old.(45th anniversary model) i'm looking for a new battery but lot of brand, different type, Ah, CCA, AMG, normal, acid, LI-Po are on the market... thinking...
do you have experience with Li-Po (lithium-polimer) batteries? i read some info about this battery but no information from users...specially from motorbikers. i know it's littlebit expensive but the GW too...

what do you think about motobatt MBTX20U,it's cheap. but something is cheap, sometimes is **** :D what about yuasa GYZ20HL? medium price, high CCA, maitenance free... (this type was in my bike) Li-Po batteries are expensive, (almost double than motobatt) but it has the highest CCA, smaller and very light than other batteries, but no info... good news, bad news etc
thank you your help, safe ride!
bertihon
Find This Item on Amazon:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: LiPo (lithium-polimer) battery

Post by WingAdmin »

bertihon wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:59 pm hi for everyone.
my GW's battery went to vomit then gave back it's reg number :-( (i mean dead)... i don't know how old was it, the bike is 8 years old.(45th anniversary model) i'm looking for a new battery but lot of brand, different type, Ah, CCA, AMG, normal, acid, LI-Po are on the market... thinking...
do you have experience with Li-Po (lithium-polimer) batteries? i read some info about this battery but no information from users...specially from motorbikers. i know it's littlebit expensive but the GW too...

what do you think about motobatt MBTX20U,it's cheap. but something is cheap, sometimes is **** :D what about yuasa GYZ20HL? medium price, high CCA, maitenance free... (this type was in my bike) Li-Po batteries are expensive, (almost double than motobatt) but it has the highest CCA, smaller and very light than other batteries, but no info... good news, bad news etc
thank you your help, safe ride!
bertihon
I've been using that MotoBatt MBTX20U battery in my Goldwing for several years now, it still spins and starts the bike super fast like brand new. They're very good batteries at a great price.
Find This Item on Amazon:
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Since the OEM ones have an incrediable reputation, here we install the Honda version of a Yuasa battery. We order them from a Honda dealer using the Honda part number. They come with brass hardware and the Honda insignia. Since they are OEM, they fit correctly, have the correct posts, and provide the correct amperage.
Ramnight
Motorcycle: 2012 Gl1800 Trike with Champion IRS kit and Ultimate Seat.

Post by Ramnight »

I found a oem Yuasa battery at Summit racing that was an exact replacement plus they had the best price. Plus these are the most dependable battery you can get.
You do not want a LiPo battery in your bike. I have been using them in my high power rc airplanes for over 20 years and if they are not charged on a special cell balancing charger, they will burst into a fire you can't put out very easily.
And if they are punched like in a crash, they will also catch fire.
Just an FYI. :)
F6BGhost
Motorcycle: 13 gl1800 F6B

Post by F6BGhost »

We’ve been using lifepo4 batteries by earthx in airplanes. Experimental at the moment because not yet certified by FAA. A couple of 1000hp race planes that will be at the reno air races. No problems reported so far and shaving 50-80 lbs easy. Bye bye 24-48volt systems and being ran by a battery smaller than a cars battery. Wondering about the longevity myself. If your meaning lipo I wouldn’t trust it in my baby, technology has been hugely improved and most accident stem from improper charging or cell damaged from bashing.