Turn signal issue - 2005 GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
RBoots
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 30th Anniversary model

Turn signal issue - 2005 GL1800

Post by RBoots »

Hi All, I have a new to me '05, got it about 3 months ago. It runs great, 34K miles. The turn signals work but I have to manually push the button to the left or right to turn them off. Pushing the button in to cancel does not work. I suspected dirty switches as I've read on here and taking the assembly apart and spraying with contact cleaner didn't help. It did not make it worse, just no improvement. I ordered from wingstuff, a new OEM switch assy and it's coming soon (expensive). I just wanted some feedback that I'm on the right track by changing that switch assy. I searched changing it and didn't see anything specific here or on youtube to that but found some other interesting posts here that make me wonder a little since my '05 apparently has a flasher board and not a relay. But, like I said, the flashers work fine, I just have to carefully push the knob back to the middle. Of course, sometimes I push a little too hard and the other side is flashing :) . Thanks for the input. -Boots

Roger Boots
2005 Honda GL1800 30th Anniversary model
USAF '72 - '75
Proud participant RFTW.us
North Western
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Re: Turn signal issue - 2005 GL1800

Post by North Western »

Hi there, it sounds to me that the switch is "gummed up" (technical term :D ).
Grease gets sticky / hard over time and it will restrict the switch from being returned by the spring.
A quick check would be to spray inside the switch with some solvent (like WD 40) and see if that eases it.
That is very much a temporary solution (if it works), and the permanent one would be to dismantle the switch to clean it out and lubricate it with fresh grease.
As you've ordered a new assembly, you could renovate the old assembly and either sell it on or stick it on the shelf for posterity :D .

Take care and safe riding
Kind regards
Don
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

Someone smarter than I will be along shortly with a better answer. Mechanically, the switch lever/knob should return to center after activation. There is a timing circuit and speed sensor to tell the signals to stop but the push to cancel function should be separate from that. I suspect it is a dirty switch assembly but certainly a new assembly will cure that. If you decide to disassemble the switch, place a big Ziploc bag over it first to catch the springs that otherwise will go flying under the workbench. Also, WD40 is probably not the best choice. There are special cleaners for electrical switches that are a much better choice.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

You can try an electrical cleaner/lube. However, sometimes that switch can brake on the inside. If true, the left switch assembly will need replaced.
RBoots

Post by RBoots »

Thanks for the input. The thought that it might be broken is enough to plod through and change it. I like to use blinkers. I've also decided to order a new air filter since I don't know if or when it's been changed in the past. There's a lot to learn for this new to me bike and I appreciate all the info on this forum. I'll keep reading and learning. So far it's been easier to work on then my previous BMW's.
Attachments

Roger Boots
USAF '72 - '75
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

As a few have noted, you need to take the switch apart and clean out the old grease. Be careful, because there are small parts that are in there that can get lost. After everything is cleaned up and the contacts are clean, you put new Dielectric grease in there. It is made for electrical contacts. You can get a small tube of it at any Autoparts store. I have done this on quite a few bikes. After 10 years of use, they are still working like they should.

Using a spray cleaner will not fix the problem. Just put a little Band-Aid on it, it will go right back to what it is doing now. Keep WD 40 away from these switches. It attracts the road crud and will make it worse.

When the lock on and off switches start sticking, they will need to be cleaned the same way.

If I remember correctly, there are some articles in the How To section about this.
North Western
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Post by North Western »

Hi all

For clarification.....I suggested the use of a solvent sprayed into the mechanical part of the switch to soften the grease (which had probably dried up / hardened with age) as a diagnostic aid to see if the switch still worked.
I did state that if this worked the switch would need to be stripped, mechanical parts cleaned and re-lubricated.

WD-40 is a solvent, though the brand markets other products like contact cleaner.
As has been noted here, it is not a magic "fix it spray".
If switches stop working, strip them, use contact cleaner on the contacts and lubricate them before re-assembly.

Not having a rant folks (honest :D) just clarifying my post.

Take care and ride safe folks.

Regards
Don
RBoots

Post by RBoots »

Again, thanks for the input. The beauty of a good forum is getting feedback of different types from people with different experiences and doing what's best for your particular problem. There's lots of good information here and it's always helpful. -rb

Roger Boots
USAF '72 - '75