Radio / ignition switch problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
KevUK
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Radio / ignition switch problems

Post by KevUK »

OK have a 2002 1800 that I brought in September that has now done 134000 miles with one previous owner.

It has been used all year round in the British weather so a bit tatty but rides well and the engine sounds sweet.

The ignition key will not turn to the locking position but not a big deal but I thought I should mention it in case it is related.

I have noticed that the back lights around the buttons on the fake tank don't turn off when I turn the bike off and remove the key.

Also sometimes the radio works and other times it doesn't although this might be down to my own stupidity as not sure how to turn on or off.

I tend to use the audio button /speaker /headphone button to turn on and off if it shows on the small screen which it sometimes dose and sometimes don't.

Nearly couldn't start the bike to get home when out last night as the bike had a low battery .

I also noticed the reverse wouldn't work earlier that night for the first time which might also be a sign of low battery although the bike started twice after with no problems .

The cruse control hasn't seemed to work since I brought the bike but no big deal and only mentioning in case anyway related.( have watched YouTube videos on how to use it)

Like I said some of this might be down to own stupidity and being new to the bike .

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Radio / ignition switch problems

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

On 5th gens, strong battery voltage has much to do with various circutes turning on. If you cannot power your Wing down by completly turning it off because of a key or ignition switch issue, that issue has to be addressed first. Have you tried a lock lubricant where the key goes in. If that does not work, then the switch/lock assembly will need removed to issolate the issue. The ingnition switch, and the lock that turns the switch, are two seportate parts.

In the mean time, to turn your Wing off, use the kill switch to kill the engine, switch all systems off, like the radio, and remove the negative battery cable.
KevUK

Post by KevUK »

Thanks for your reply.

The key will turn the engine off and can be removed in the off position just but cant be turned to the steering lock position.

I cant work out how to switch the radio on or off as cant see an on or off /power button hence pressing the audio button to kill the sound when it dose seem to be turned on.
North Western
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Post by North Western »

The radio turns on with a push on the audio button.
It turns off by pushing and holding the audio button.
The display on the screen can lag a little, which can make you think its not doing what it should.
However, the radio should turn off when the ignition is switched off and the key removed.

One final thought, you need to press down before turning the key to the lock position.

It sounds like you don't have an owners / operators manual.
If you search on the internet you can download one in pdf format.

Good luck with the problems
Regards
Don
KevUK

Post by KevUK »

Thanks Don

That seemed to help and work at first as the radio switched on and off and the light went out as well.

But later I turned the ignition on to check and the lights behind the buttons stayed on although went out after a few hours this time.

Also the radio wouldn't turn on again so I'm starting to think the buttons might be sticking and causing the problem so might need stripping down and cleaning and having a look at.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

The next time the radio lights stay on when you turn off the key, leave the key off and try the turn signals. If they work, then the accessory relay is sticking in the latched position and needs replaced.
KevUK

Post by KevUK »

Thanks I will check next time it happens
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

KevUK wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:00 am Thanks I will check next time it happens
If it does happen, give that relay a sharp rap with something solid. If the lights go off, you know for sure that's the problem.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

KevUK wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:10 am Thanks for your reply.

The key will turn the engine off and can be removed in the off position just but cant be turned to the steering lock position.

I cant work out how to switch the radio on or off as cant see an on or off /power button hence pressing the audio button to kill the sound when it dose seem to be turned on.
Have you sprayed the key switch with electrical contact cleaner and worked the key back and forth yet? I've done it on numerous ignition switches to get them operating properly to the lock position and also to clean the contacts in the switch.
LPS-1 is another product that is a lubricant and a electrical component cleaner and restorer from wet conditions. With the switch being pointing upward as they are, water gets in while riding and also if someone uses high pressure washers like at a car wash, pushing soap, water and road grime into the ignition switch.
Bert-Inge Andersson
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A

Post by Bert-Inge Andersson »

Hello

You do know that the handlebars should be so far to the left and that you press down the ignition key to get into the locked position!?

// Bert in Sweden//
Gloworm
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800AA Deluxe

Post by Gloworm »

I had a similar problem with my 2010 GL1800. In my case it was intermittent failure of the starter relays located behind the left pannier. Replaced relays, problem solved. Trust this helps
KevUK

Post by KevUK »

OK problem still exists and have tried the above suggestions apart from the starter relay behind the left pannier as I only just saw that.

In the meantime I have been servicing the clutch slave cylinder as in my other post.

Is that where the starter relay is on a 2002/03 as well as I thought they were under the seat ?
If so I will have to work out how to get to it.

The turn signals don't work with the ignition switched off.

Have had to replace the battery as it has killed one which will no longer take a charge .

I have just noticed when I just disconnected the negative lead from the battery that this turns the radio/audio switches lights off and if I reconnect it a ten seconds later they stay off until I turn the ignition key on again.

Then have to re- disconnect the battery and connect again to turn them off.

Actually I only loosened the negative screw enough that the lights went out didn't actually remove it and then retightened it but the lights stay off.

At the moment if I cant sort out the problem the only option seems to be fitting a battery isolation switch somewhere on the bike although this will mean loosing all the settings each time it's used clock, trip, suspension etc

That will also include the radio although at the moment that doesn't seem to be turning on anyway.

Any ideas ?
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

KevUK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:54 pm OK problem still exists and have tried the above suggestions apart from the starter relay behind the left pannier as I only just saw that.

In the meantime I have been servicing the clutch slave cylinder as in my other post.

Is that where the starter relay is on a 2002/03 as well as I thought they were under the seat ?
If so I will have to work out how to get to it.

The turn signals don't work with the ignition switched off.

Have had to replace the battery as it has killed one which will no longer take a charge .

I have just noticed when I just disconnected the negative lead from the battery that this turns the radio/audio switches lights off and if I reconnect it a ten seconds later they stay off until I turn the ignition key on again.

Then have to re- disconnect the battery and connect again to turn them off.

Actually I only loosened the negative screw enough that the lights went out didn't actually remove it and then retightened it but the lights stay off.

At the moment if I cant sort out the problem the only option seems to be fitting a battery isolation switch somewhere on the bike although this will mean loosing all the settings each time it's used clock, trip, suspension etc

That will also include the radio although at the moment that doesn't seem to be turning on anyway.

Any ideas ?
Ok, this still sounds like the Accessory relay is hanging up. You should pull the seat off and pull the relay racks out of their cover by pushing in on the tabs on the sides of the cover after the mounting bolts are removed. Once you get the racks out, look at the cover and locate the Accessory relay. Once you got it, turn on the key wait a second or two, then turn it off and see if the lights stay on. If they do, tap the top of the Accessory relay and see if they go off. The starter relays have nothing to do with these lights that are staying on, they start the engine.