2013 Electrical Issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
AlanH
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

2013 Electrical Issue

Post by AlanH »

Recently, I have had 3 instances where when I turn the ignition to run or accessory, no dash lights appear, no display boot up, and no relay sounds. In the first instance several months ago, I had been on a short ride, parked for about an hour, then when I went to start the bike - Nothing. On the 2nd instance, we were on a ride and pulled over to discuss plans with another couple. I killed the engine and turned the turned the bike to accessory and music was playing. When we were ready to go, I flipped the kill switch to the run position and turned the ignition back to run. The dash lights, display and music died. The bike would not start and again no relay sounds or dash lights/display. I got off and checked fuses, etc to no avail. But after about 10 minutes, turned the key one last time to run and lights came on and the bike started. The 3rd occasion was yesterday and similar to the first. Short ride, stopped and got off for a few minutes, then saddled up and nothing. Again checked fuses, connections, and still nothing. A few minutes later I tried it again and it operated normally.

Any suggestions on what to check? It seems like there must be a loose connection or something somewhere, but I've not been able to find it. Thanks.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 2013 Electrical Issue

Post by Rambozo »

The first thing would be to check the battery cables to be sure they are clean and tight. Also, the various ground cables to the engine and frame. Both of those points often get loose and dirty. Then keep a test light or meter on the bike so when it happens again you can do some troubleshooting. Since it was working in Acc but not in Run, that points to a possible ignition switch problem.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

I may have misled, but the one instance I was in access, but once this happens, nothing activates in either access or run. It's like a total electrical disconnect.

Great idea on the meter and ground leads. Battery is 3 yrs old and all connections there look good.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Another update....I just rode the bike on a short errand. As I was approaching a stop sign (no brakes yet applied) the music stopped and the display flashed, but the engine did not falter. Display and music resumed. It did this one more time while waiting at the stop. I arrived at at my store, and when I came back out, the bike started normally, music resumed, but before I put it in gear, i again had the music stop and the display flash off then on, but again no stumble in the engine. I am almost positive the previous time I did try to start the bike even though I had no dash lights or display, but I may not have. This may be strictly electrical to the dash area?
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Start with the simple stuff. Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight, and have the battery professionally tested.