TPMS issues.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Brunner65
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing.

TPMS issues.

Post by Brunner65 »

Hello Everybody. I'm brand new to the site. I have a technical question. I ride a 2016 GW with approximately 9,000 miles on it. The TPMS system comes on when I first start the bike and will stay on for a while when riding. It will go out for a while, then come back on no matter how long the ride or what the conditions are. It doesn't flash, just stays on steady. I check my tire pressure with the tires cold and inflate them to the factory recommendations. Unfortunately, due to my present work schedule, the bike has not been rode much in the past few years and this problem started during that period. The tires and sensors are original from when the bike was new. I have read many forums on this topic and they all seem to say the the tires are underinflated. I have tried all levels of tire pressures above and below factory recommendations and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Thank you.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: TPMS issues.

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Brunner65 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:03 pm Hello Everybody. I'm brand new to the site. I have a technical question. I ride a 2016 GW with approximately 9,000 miles on it. The TPMS system comes on when I first start the bike and will stay on for a while when riding. It will go out for a while, then come back on no matter how long the ride or what the conditions are. It doesn't flash, just stays on steady. I check my tire pressure with the tires cold and inflate them to the factory recommendations. Unfortunately, due to my present work schedule, the bike has not been rode much in the past few years and this problem started during that period. The tires and sensors are original from when the bike was new. I have read many forums on this topic and they all seem to say the the tires are underinflated. I have tried all levels of tire pressures above and below factory recommendations and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Thank you.
The batteries in your sensors are parobably failing. Their expected life is between 5-7 years old. However, to know for sure, your system needs tested. Unfortunanly, at least as of a few weeks ago, TPMS sensors are still on backorder. Here, at JustWings, we installed our last set about 3 weeks ago, and those were probably the last available set in the world.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

If you search here, there is a topic about replacing the batteries on the sensors. That may be the only option if Honda has discontinued the sensors.
Brunner65
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing.

Post by Brunner65 »

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it very much. I'll talk to my Honda dealer when my bike goes in for inspection. I'll probably be needing tires by then and maybe they can address the sensor battery issue while mounting new tires. Last ones on earth seems to be the norm anymore. Take care.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Brunner65 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:07 pm Thank you for the information. I appreciate it very much. I'll talk to my Honda dealer when my bike goes in for inspection. I'll probably be needing tires by then and maybe they can address the sensor battery issue while mounting new tires. Last ones on earth seems to be the norm anymore. Take care.
Per Honda the sensors are non-servicable. That means that the batteries are not replaceable; thus, most shops will not replace them. Basically, professionals follow well established guidelines ... another way of saying that, is that it keeps them out of law suites. In the professionaly world of repair, that means that the sensor assemblies need replace. Unfortunantly, the last time I check they've been on BO for about 2+ years. So that does not mean that the batteries are not replaceable, it just means that replacing them is more of a DIYr thing.

Here at JustWings, we too would follow well establish guidelines of repair, and would only consider replacing the batteries once they come off BO status, and become an actual obsolete part. Only then would we look for alternative forms of repair. However, when things like that happen, it might be time to no longer work on 5th gens altogether.