Varying Tire Pressure

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
dlewis1906
Motorcycle: GL1800

Varying Tire Pressure

Post by dlewis1906 »

Good Day All,
I am trying to get an understanding of why the tire pressure on my gl1800 varies during travel across the USA. I had new tires placed on the Wing before I left Tennessee with 38psi front and 41psi on back. FYI, I check all my tire pressure in the mornings. When I was in Denver, the pressure was like 40/42, In Seattle it was 40/43, In Montana it was 37/40, and so on. In short, it varied throughout the trip. If anyone can shade a little knowledge on the subject, it would be great appreciated.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Varying Tire Pressure

Post by Andy Cote »

Did you just check it every day or did you adjust every time you checked? Ambiant temperature, atmospheric pressure, even gas tank level can make small changes in actual pressure.

But, IMHO, the biggest reason is your gauge. Most everyone is using an inexpensive gauge which is neither calibrated nor reliably repeatable. Check three times in ten minutes and you'll get three different readings. Unless you have a racing quality gauge (read expensive), I would not worry about a pound or two change from one reading to the next.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
dlewis1906
Motorcycle: GL1800

Post by dlewis1906 »

Andy Cote wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:46 am Did you just check it every day or did you adjust every time you checked? Ambiant temperature, atmospheric pressure, even gas tank level can make small changes in actual pressure.

But, IMHO, the biggest reason is your gauge. Most everyone is using an inexpensive gauge which is neither calibrated nor reliably repeatable. Check three times in ten minutes and you'll get three different readings. Unless you have a racing quality gauge (read expensive), I would not worry about a pound or two change from one reading to the next.
I checked it everyday on the trip for two weeks. It had other varying pressures, but I only list a few.
Cabernet Red 06
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by Cabernet Red 06 »

I agree that most guages aren’t particularly accurate but if you at least use the same one each time, you’ll get consistent readings…ride safe

Scott