Rattling passenger storage pockets

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
kforward
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800, Comfort, Navigation & ABS

Rattling passenger storage pockets

Post by kforward »

Hi All, I am new to Goldwings. I just purchased a 2008 GL1800 with heated grips/seats, GPS, and ABS. I am a tinkerer, and like to fix the things that don't work as they should. I have already got lots of great instructions from this site to help me with several small issues with the bike. However, I was not able to find anything on the rattling of the rear passenger storage pocket doors that are right under the rear speakers. It's not a huge deal, but it's just annoying to hear them rattle every time I go over a bump or rough road when riding through town. Just wondering if anyone had the same issue and how they went about repairing it. I'm thinking it's just worn out door seals, but the hinges seem to be quite loose in the pivoting section. Not sure if that is normal or not.
BTW, I am loving the ride!

Thank you

John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide

Re: Rattling passenger storage pockets

Post by John K »

Our 012 had a rattle back there turned out to be part of the trunk hinge, which is right on top of those cubby holders. Hard to see and find as everything is black, had to compare to other side. Very SMALL piece was broken and missing right at one of the three pan screws that held it on. You could raise the trunk lid up on the broken side at speaker/arm rest area. I replaced which took care of the rattle. Maybe this is what is wrong with yours.
Trunk lid likes to rattle, i was told to put 1/8 inch rubber hose inside of trunck lid seal. Made the trunk lid difficult to close. I was worried about breaking it as it had to be slammed shut. So I removed the hose, maybe a softer hose would have been better.
Take Care
John K
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

If the rattle really is coming from the little cubby doors you could try stuffing a microfiber rag or two in there. My doors weren't rattling, but some of the little items I placed in there do and I solved it by stuffing a microfiber rag inside. That solved the problem and gave me an extra couple of rags.

My main trunk rattle ended up being the two "U" shaped latches caused by loose screws. Over time those screws became completely useless and I ended up having to drill holes through my trunk lid to properly secure them. Occasionally, when they became loose enough the trunk would not latch shut. I didn't realize why early on and that unawareness my have been what lead to the ultimate problem.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
kforward

Post by kforward »

Thank you for the suggestions!

So here is a couple of things I did to eliminate the rattles from the storage pockets.

First I removed the little springs from the latch release handles (single phillips screw) and stretched them ever so slightly so that the release handles themselves stopped rattling. I guess after many repetitious openings and closings, the springs don't spring all the way back to their original position.

Then I replaced the door seals using some 1/4" wide door sealing foam (sticky on one side). I cut it in half (so now 1/8" wide) so that I could fit it into the slot going around the lip of the door. Of course I removed the old original dried out door seals! Now when I push the doors closed it takes a little bit of effort to latch (compressing of the foam) and thus the doors stopped rattling. I also used some of that same door sealing foam (full 1/4" wide) to put in between the trunks hinge, where it folds together (read that from another post about trunk rattle).
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Can we assume that proper diagnosis has been done by recreating the noise with your hand, or reaching back when hitting bumps to verify that it's indeed caused by the pocket doors. Another ways would be to know a road were they rattle, tape them closed, and re-ride the road.

Fixing noises is always a process of elimination, and if possible, good diagnosis is critical. Has everything in the trunk, its cubbies, the saddle bags, and the pockets been removed first.
kforward

Post by kforward »

Since the rattle is now gone, as I stated, you can assume that I diagnosed it properly and correctly! There was nothing in the cubbies, trunk or saddlebags. When I opened the passenger storage pockets and seen how loose they were, and then jiggled them around, it was obvious that it was the same noise I heard when going over rough roads.
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 2006 Gold Wing

Post by joeincalif »

I guess you got it fixed but hard to believe that a small plastic door can cause a rattle you can hear when riding with a helmet on.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
kforward

Post by kforward »

Good hearing, a quiet bike (compared to many others) and wearing a half helmet at the time, I am confident!