Iridium Plugs

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
soujrnr
Motorcycle: White 2004 GL1800A

Iridium Plugs

Post by soujrnr »

Hi all,

I just put six new Iridium plugs (BKR6E) in my Wing (2004), and it misfired on one cylinder immediately. Fortunately, it turned out to be a hairline crack in one of the new plugs. So, I ordered a second set of BKR5E non-Iridium plugs, which matched the set I took out originally, and all was well. The manuals call for the BKR6E type, but I think the only difference is in relation to the temperature range at which the bike will be ridden.

Be that as it may, has anyone run Iridium plugs in their scoot, and did you notice any difference in performance?

--------------------------------
Ride safe, ride well, and ride often!!

Mike
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Iridium Plugs

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

soujrnr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:34 pm Hi all,

I just put six new Iridium plugs (BKR6E) in my Wing (2004), and it misfired on one cylinder immediately. Fortunately, it turned out to be a hairline crack in one of the new plugs. So, I ordered a second set of BKR5E non-Iridium plugs, which matched the set I took out originally, and all was well. The manuals call for the BKR6E type, but I think the only difference is in relation to the temperature range at which the bike will be ridden.

Be that as it may, has anyone run Iridium plugs in their scoot, and did you notice any difference in performance?
Unless your riding a lot in really cold weather, or run high RPMs, the plugs you want are BKR6E-II. I've never noticed better performance with iridium plugs. However, I do notice a difference when I replace my plugs at 20k, but notice no change if I change them at 16k. The idea is to maintain the Wing per the Maintance Schedule as listed in the Owner's Manual. Therefore, I replace mine every 16k.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: Iridium Plugs

Post by Snowmoer »

You are not going to get better performance out of iridium plugs. You just get longer plug life out of them. I agree with Greg, you need to run 6's, not 5's. He will not agree with this. I just change mine out with standard NGK plugs at 32K when I do the valve check. The gaps in the plugs that I take out are always within spec and it runs the same after I put in the new plugs. If the gaps were worn past spec at 32K then I would change them out at 16K like the manual says.

On a side note, do not buy your plugs off Amazon or E Bay unless you know it is from a reputable dealer. There are too many out there that are China knock off's and not true NGK plugs. Lots of reports on this and other bike/car sites of cracked insulators or insulators not sealing to the plug base on the knock offs.