Immobilizer activated

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
DART1213
Motorcycle: 2010 HONDA GL1800

Immobilizer activated

Post by DART1213 »

Just bought a 2010 Gl1800. I accidentally activated an aftermarket immobilizer on the bike. I just started removing from the top down to find the brain. A pad with a button was in the left side glove box I changed it out because the hinge was broken. A pad with wire attached had to be disconnected to remove the box. well what can I say, it had a "Button" so being a guy, not thinking at first. Yes, I pushed the button. Blue light flashed oops. I immediately tried to start. dash lights came on no start. Few references to being a dummy and "think" first. Then the real nightmare. It is stuck in gear, and will not detent as I move the foot lever can not get neutral. What can cause a manual transmission to do that? I will follow the spaghetti amature installation and remove all that, will hopefully find a manufacturer name on something. I am basically following starter removal procedures to find the disease in the belly of the beast. At least it happened at my house instead of a rest area 500 miles away. I do not want this aftermarket landmine on my bike. so far have ordered 3 parts missing or broken. Will get a K&N air filter installed if it does not have one and double-check how the extra LEDs on the bike are hooked up. Got heat shrink connectors and some solder heat shrink butt connectors as well anticipating needing them. But the manual transmission being stuck befuddles me. Could it have something to do with a lockout switch with REVERSE?

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Immobilizer activated

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

You do have a good thought that you may have engaged REVERSE as opposed to actually engaging the transmission. Seems to match your symptoms. Good news is that would mean it was specifically made to fit only the GL1800 and should be easier to identify. Alternatively, perhaps the OEM REVERSE switch was bypassed and that this new switch is just that.

Good luck in your effort.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Any progress? Goldwingrgreg is just west of Orlando.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

DART1213 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:33 pm Just bought a 2010 Gl1800. I accidentally activated an aftermarket immobilizer on the bike. I just started removing from the top down to find the brain. A pad with a button was in the left side glove box I changed it out because the hinge was broken. A pad with wire attached had to be disconnected to remove the box. well what can I say, it had a "Button" so being a guy, not thinking at first. Yes, I pushed the button. Blue light flashed oops. I immediately tried to start. dash lights came on no start. Few references to being a dummy and "think" first. Then the real nightmare. It is stuck in gear, and will not detent as I move the foot lever can not get neutral. What can cause a manual transmission to do that? I will follow the spaghetti amature installation and remove all that, will hopefully find a manufacturer name on something. I am basically following starter removal procedures to find the disease in the belly of the beast. At least it happened at my house instead of a rest area 500 miles away. I do not want this aftermarket landmine on my bike. so far have ordered 3 parts missing or broken. Will get a K&N air filter installed if it does not have one and double-check how the extra LEDs on the bike are hooked up. Got heat shrink connectors and some solder heat shrink butt connectors as well anticipating needing them. But the manual transmission being stuck befuddles me. Could it have something to do with a lockout switch with REVERSE?
Stop the disassembly and turn on the key. What lights come on and turn off with the key turned on? Not knowing what the cause is will get worse when everything is taken apart without any diagnosis or direction.
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen »

Maybe I'm missing something. You purchased a used bike with an aftermarket security system installed. Why don't you contact the person that installed it or the person that you bought it from?
Dougrobinson
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A

Post by Dougrobinson »

Do you have an update? Any progress? Can we help?
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

5th gen Wings have 5 lockouts that will keep it from starting. Be sure the side stand is up, that the trasnmsision is in nuetral, REV is off, kill switch in run position, and ignition is on.
hjalmar
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
1998 GL1500SE

Post by hjalmar »

In Europe we had immobilizer on the GoldWing since 2001. It was fitted from the factory. If you put on a chrome-ring around the ignition lock you can't start the bike. I don't know if this is the issue here.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Honda used the HISS system only on the European wings.