2002 GL1800 Trike - LED turn signals & flasher

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
rpulsifer
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Hannagan Conversion

2002 GL1800 Trike - LED turn signals & flasher

Post by rpulsifer »

Hi, experts! I purchased all new LED lamps from SoCalMotoGear for this Hannigan triked GL1800. Included flasher for the LEDs is a 3 prong - but the existing is a 5 prong Omron G8H-UA-007608. I've reached out to Omron to see if there's an LED compatible flasher replacement, but haven't heard back yet. I assume that the existing flasher is OEM and not related to being triked. SoCalMotoGear responded with a video, but it's not the same configuration as mine (their video was for a 2003).
I'm not really interested in adding resistors or any other modifications. Do any of you have any experience with this specific year and flasher? Have you found a flasher that plugs directly in? Thanks!
Attachments

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: 2002 GL1800 Trike - LED turn signals & flasher

Post by Andy Cote »

I believe you are looking at the wrong relay. The OEM turn signal flasher has a short three wire pigtail with a white, flat three connector and a locking tab. The new flasher has a matching three wire connector. The OEM flasher is tucked into a rubber grommet on a strut between the windshield and the instrument cluster. Most mechanics pull the speaker/meter cover and go in from the operator's side. If you can get the plug out, you can even leave the OEM flasher stuck in the grommet.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
rpulsifer
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Hannagan Conversion

Post by rpulsifer »

Andy, thanks for making me take yet another look at it. It was indeed the wrong relay (although it was pressed into a boot that was attached at the correct position). It now works perfectly!
Now if I only had small enough hands to replace the LH high beam... :D
Thanks again!
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Glad you got the turn signals fixed. :D I'm sure you'll love those new directionals.

The high beam bulbs are definitely a bear. You've probably looked at all the threads and videos already. IMHO, the LEDs are easier to install because you can use the pigtail to hold the bulb in while you latch it. If you haven't done many headlight bulbs, pick up a junk one from a car to practice with the latching spring. Then practice more in the dark.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

On the 2001-2005 wing, the turn signal flasher is a circuit board built into the rear of the gauges. The relay hanging in the rubber boot is the position light relay and has to be there for the position lights in the mirrors to work correctly. The LED flasher has to be plugged into the bike side harness that comes to the circuit board in the rear of the gauges. The circuit board has to be unplugged and the LED flasher is plugged into the bike side harness and the circuit board harness side is left hanging loose. Whatever you do, don’t plug in the LED flasher and the original circuit board together or you could blow up the cancel unit which is $$$