The End of the CF Carded GPS NAVI Saga

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Re: The End of the CF Carded GPS NAVI Saga

Post by JerriEric » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:41 pm

themainviking, are you saying you get insufficient memory error? I got these with the purchase of the 20011 maps and firmware from Garmin. Let me know if you found it is the firmware and not the new map size that is causing your problem. thanks

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm

I will go back to Firmware 4.6 and try it again, but yes, it is the insufficient memory error.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Frederique
Motorcycle: 2008 GL2008

Post by Frederique » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 am

themainviking wrote:
Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 am
Juanki wrote:Many thanks to Themainviking and all others helping and investigating with this issue.
I am happy I was able to help. Enjoy Good Riding.....

Viking
Hello, This sounds good. I have a 2008 GL1800 imported from the US wit the 2 GB CF card City navigator North America V8.00 in it.

Is it possible to put a european map in it ? and how.

Please help.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm

Frederique wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 am
themainviking wrote:
Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 am
Juanki wrote:Many thanks to Themainviking and all others helping and investigating with this issue.
I am happy I was able to help. Enjoy Good Riding.....

Viking
Hello, This sounds good. I have a 2008 GL1800 imported from the US wit the 2 GB CF card City navigator North America V8.00 in it.

Is it possible to put a european map in it ? and how.

Please help.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=l ... b5uFLctr16
If the bike was purchased in Canada or another market (Europe, Australia, Singapore, or Japan), visit a local Honda Gold Wing dealer to purchase a map update for the system. If your Honda dealer does not have the most updated card, please have them contact their Honda parts distributor.

You cannot use a United States map update card in a bike purchased in another market and vice versa.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Frederique

Post by Frederique » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 am

Hello the bike has been imported from the US and is now been sold in the EU.

The gps is still like when the bike was bought in 2009 in the US, the local dealers do not have any info about these systems even Garmin BE does not know what to do, To me its a shame having the system on your bike and not being able to use it.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:22 am

Frederique wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 am
Hello the bike has been imported from the US and is now been sold in the EU.

The gps is still like when the bike was bought in 2009 in the US, the local dealers do not have any info about these systems even Garmin BE does not know what to do, To me its a shame having the system on your bike and not being able to use it.
Yes it would be a shame. I am sorry, but it sounds like how ever Honda set this up with Garmin that, for whatever reason, it may not be compatible to do what you're wanting with the onboard system.

There may be some other work-around and I hope some of the far more intelligent and experienced folks here will be able to help you further.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 am

The only thing I can say is that if you do try it, and it bricks your Navigation system, then you (and if you let us know) and we will then have the answer. Unfortunately, the only way to know is to try it and you take the chance of your system no longer working. Personally, if it was mine, I would try it. You would need to get the latest European firmware and load it according to the instructions that come with the software card, and if it will not load, then you can force load it. Instructions for that should also come with the card. Then load the maps. The hardware does not care where in the world it is. The firmware and maps tell it. The difficulties with Australia were conquered with the firmware I believe (being south of the equator)

Every one of us who changed the firmware and maps on our bikes without benefit of Honda or Garmin official updates took this chance albeit a lesser chance, but some guys even broke pins on their loading slots and had to physically repair their own units. It is an imperfect world, right?

Frederique

Post by Frederique » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm

If you say it does not work anymore after you try is do you mean the navigation part or the complete unit ?

can you tell what I need and how to do it ?

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 pm

You would need the European firmware and the up to date maps you wish to use, along with the particular instructions for updating both. You said the nav was useless to you with U.S. maps in your area, and could not use the navigation. That said, like I mentioned, if it was me and the nav was not usefull, then I would experiment with it. You need to get with someone who has done the European map upgrades to discover if there is any difference in what needs doing. I doubt there is, but I do not know for certain. I do know that someone from Australia got his to work there, and it is south of the Equator so the entire firmware and how it works had to change. If he could do this, then there must be no difference in the hardware. Or maybe being south of the equator has no bearing.

And yes, if you try it and it does not work, you might be locked out of the navigation system totally, without any ability to return to the U.S. firmware and maps. This may only be because you no longer have them due to them being overwritten, or it may be that you cannot go back. My posts further up saying I was going to try to return to a previous firmware never did happen. I went to a newer firmware and my system works, with a possible error once in a while. I need to stop the motorcycle, turn off the navigation, turn off the motorcycle, restart the motorcycle, restart the nav and go again. It is a very rare occurrence, but really tedious when it happens. It is the price we pay to have maps more up to date than 2012.

I could give you the instructions on how to update both firmware and maps, but do not know if it is the same instruction as for the EU models. I do know that I do not have the correct maps, nor the correct firmware, as the North American firmware shows the basic NA map and the European firmwares shows a basic map of Europe. To this you need to add the detailed maps which include cities etc.