Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

A Mobile-Friendly GoldwingDocs

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 pm

This is a project that I have been working on for over a year, time-permitting.

Anyone who has tried to use the GoldwingDocs site on a phone knows it is...well, not the most mobile-friendly of sites. That is primarily because when I first created the site back in 2008, mobile use of the web was a tiny fraction of what it is today. Mobile devices simply couldn't handle the complex sites of the time.

Also, the site was never originally meant to be what it is today - it kind of grew in bits of pieces as I came up with ideas for it. This means that the site itself is literally that - piecemeal, bits and pieces written and added to it over the years.

Today, the percentage of mobile users continues to rise - at any given time it can be upwards of 50% of all users on the site. I had to do something about the mobile-unfriendliness of GoldwingDocs. I decided to kill two birds with one stone: Scrapping the entire existing site (tens of thousands of lines of code) and writing it again from scratch, using modern programming languages and techniques.

But don't worry - it won't be a dramatic, drastic change - things will still for the most part work like they do today. Most pages will have improved layout and design, and the Online Parts Store will be much easier to search and use. The main difference is that the site will be using responsive design, so that it reformats itself gracefully no matter what device you're using to view it.

We're still months away from the time when this will go live, but I did want to give a heads-up to let everyone know what's coming! If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!