Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Shipment Delays

Post by WingAdmin »

I've had several customers of our online store contact me very concerned, as items they purchased online as much as ten days ago have not arrived, and there is no tracking history. I looked online, and was horrified to see that none of the packages we have shipped in the last ten days has received a scan - they are all showing "shipping label created, USPS awaiting item."

Obviously this is concerning to me. I just got off the phone with USPS, and here's what they told me: Apparently they are overwhelmed with packages and short staffed because of COVID, so the staff has not been scanning packages at our local post office. Instead, they are relying on the sorting plant in Cleveland to scan them. However, the sorting plant in Cleveland has been backed up for over a week, there's apparently a line of tractor trailers over a mile long that have been sitting in some cases for days waiting to get packages into the sorting plant. He told me they're trying to get packages delivered, but couldn't give me a time frame.

A news story on the delays:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/12/ ... mount.html

So we are continuing to ship packages, but just be aware that there may be significant delays in delivery times.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

REF: Scott's announcement on Shipping Delays

Post by AZgl1800 »

my daughter works for the USPO as a Rural Mail Carrier.

I was concerned that a package that I had sent to Lexington, TN was shown to be scanned at Lexington over a week ago, but the vendor to whom I sent my Hearing Aids back for a refund, had not received them yet.

The Tracking Number showed "In Transient" for a week....

my daughter told me that the mailing centers, Tulsa, OK being one of them, has a parking lot full of Semi Trailers with incoming mail waiting to be Scanned, routed out, and sent to the next PO to get them delivered to customers.

Paying for 2 day Priority Delivery does NOT guarantee delivery at this time.....
and it won't get any better until maybe the end of January.

so, what Scott reported is the truth..... packages are being held prisoners in trailers, waiting for a slack period so the Automated Scanners and Sorters can process them.

This is a direct result of:

1) weather conditions preventing timely deliveries of incoming mail to the sorting plants.

2) Covid-19 effecting employees, resulting in Staff Shortages.

here in Oologah, OK which is very small, we have about 1200 homes to deliver to, and 5 routes.
We are down 2 workers, and 1st class mail is being delivered as much as a day late, Packages are delivered by calling in Associate Rural carriers as needed..... my daughter was called in this morning at 10 AM when it became apparent the regular carrier for a route was not going to make it in. She is taking all of the packages for the routes that are overloaded.... it will be Dark Thirty before she can come home.

there is a Post Office north of us that does NOT have any employees period, no clerks, no carriers at all.
It is so remote that no one wants to move to that location..... so, they call in helpers from surrounding Post Offices to find a carrier who will drive 70 miles just to get there, and then sort the local mail, and then deliver it.

It is, what it is, we must remain patient and try to not let it bother us too much.

A Comment made by my daughter:

this Pandemic has caused a huge amount of people to order their groceries online.
shoppers who used to think nothing of driving 50 miles to "town" and do their shopping, are NOT going to return to their old habits.

Due to the Pandemic, they have learned that going Online and making out an order, takes less than 30 minutes, and they are done.... None of that taking half a day or more to go shopping. No more flat tires, or wearing out their vehicles to go shopping.....

Mail delays are going to be with us permanently from now on.

The US Postal Service is NOT paying enough to keep good workers, staffing is getting worse, not better.

to make it all worse,
FedEx and UPS are playing new tricks....
BIG packages are now being dropped off at the local Post Office for local delivery.
that is making the USPO employees job even worse.

last Saturday, I got a call from my daughter to come pick her up, and help her deliver the mail.
why? Her Right Hand Drive Brake pedal broke!!!

So, I drove our Suburban out to her location, got in the Drivers Seat, and drove her route for her, she delivered mail out of the right side to the mailboxes.....

I am getting a good insight on handling the mail.... 99.99% of our population has no clue to what it takes to deliver the mail.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: REF: Scott's announcement on Shipping Delays

Post by Viking »

Welcome to Canadian Style Mail Delivery. It is like that all the time here. So far, I have not noticed a terrific amount of change for the pandemic, but the Post Office, and all the courier services put more delivery drivers and vehicles on the road for the new spate of online shopping. Amazon is the main beneficiary of all of this.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

The worst thing is, as the postal employee I talked to told me: they aren't bothering to scan inbound packages, because "they don't have time."

So for businesses like myself that are shipping things - the packages vanish, they show as never having been received by the post office. Are they going to be delivered? Where are they now? Nobody knows.

Some businesses are having extreme financial difficulties because USPS is refusing to send trucks to pick up shipments.

Now news teams in Cleveland are posting pictures taken by postal worker employees of warehouses packed full of undelivered packages:

Undelivered packages
Undelivered packages

Our day-to-day mail delivery is being affected, too. We haven't gotten any actual mail in almost a week - except for junk mail. That still gets delivered. The USPS "Informed Delivery" emails show images of bills and letters and things that we are supposed to be receiving each day, but they aren't actually getting delivered.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Our Rural Carriers here are assigned a hand held Scanner, and are told "you will scan it the minute it gets into your hands".

my daughter at least does do that, I can't vouch for the other carriers.

She came in last night at 7:30, that is 4 hours after the 4:30 PM required time to be back in the Post Office, so that the incoming packages can be put on the truck going to the Sorting Plant at 5:30 PM.

when it gets dark in these winter months, she has to slow way down.... mailboxes are predominantly black, and the address numbers have faded out from years of sun.

I bought a CREE light to install on her car, going to adjust it to light up the ground to the right side of her. the beam-width is really huge, so it will light up half of the sky around her also. help to get traffic to see her..... I bought one of the Traffic Flasher lights for construction trucks, it really helps, oncoming traffic sees that when it is just barely above the pavement horizon.... and her car, a dark blue, is totally invisible.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Shipment Delays

Post by WingAdmin »

Some positive news: A couple of the packages in limbo have been delivered.

Here's one that we shipped out on December 1st. It finally arrived in Maryland, three weeks later, after taking a detour and extended layover in the Washington DC sorting plant.

https://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/?conf ... 0197465807

December 22, 2020 16:58 ESSEX,MD,21221 DELIVERED, IN/AT MAILBOX
December 22, 2020 06:10 ESSEX,MD,21221 OUT FOR DELIVERY
December 21, 2020 16:14 ESSEX,MD,21221 ARRIVED AT POST OFFICE
December 13, 2020 IN TRANSIT TO NEXT FACILITY
December 9, 2020 01:47 WASHINGTON DC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL DESTINATION FACILITY
December 5, 2020 05:30 HYATTSVILLE,MD,20785 ARRIVED AT USPS FACILITY
December 3, 2020 14:56 DISTRICT HEIGHTS,MD,20747 ARRIVED AT USPS FACILITY
December 3, 2020 14:00 HYATTSVILLE,MD,20785 ARRIVED AT USPS FACILITY
December 3, 2020 08:05 AKRON OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
December 2, 2020 15:58 AKRON OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 2, 2020 14:43 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 1, 2020 17:36 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 SHIPPING LABEL CREATED, USPS AWAITING ITEM

There are still 8 shipments outstanding from the last two weeks that have never received a scan. They were shipped:

12/8: 2
12/10: 1
12/15: 1
12/17: 2
12/21: 2

This is encouraging however - there were previously 7 shipments on 12/8 that had never received a scan, and all but two of them have started being scanned as they make their way through the system. Interestingly, NONE of the packages were scanned in the Cleveland sorting plant as promised. It appears that they aren't scanning packages in our local post office, OR in the Cleveland sorting plant. The first scan the packages are receiving is at a sorting plant in Warrendale, PA, like this one:

December 23, 2020 05:28 WARRENDALE PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 23, 2020 05:28 WARRENDALE PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 14, 2020 16:47 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 SHIPPING LABEL CREATED, USPS AWAITING ITEM

Even more interesting: Here's a package shipped the same day, that obviously sat untouched in my local post office for NINE DAYS before being scanned and then sent to Warrendale, PA, which is NOT what I was told was happening when I last talked to them:

December 23, 2020 05:25 WARRENDALE PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 23, 2020 04:10 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 14, 2020 16:47 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 SHIPPING LABEL CREATED, USPS AWAITING ITEM

Lastly...it appears that USPS has abandoned the Cleveland processing center. Every package I have shipped in the last week and a half that has received a scan, has been sent to Warrandale, PA, regardless of its destination. California, Oregon, Washington DC, it doesn't matter, they're all getting sent to Warrendale, PA.

The USPS appears to be in chaos and desperation mode.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

The USPS shipping delays continue.

Some good news however - the last package from the huge batch of packages shipped at the beginning of December has finally been scanned by our local post office, and is being delivered. This package sat in our local post office for three weeks before being scanned and sent on to the regional sorting hub.

January 4, 2021 IN TRANSIT, ARRIVING LATE
January 1, 2021 04:08 AKRON OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
January 1, 2021 02:53 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 8, 2020 20:20 STRONGSVILLE,OH,44149 SHIPPING LABEL CREATED, USPS AWAITING ITEM

The bad news: A large batch of packages shipped in between 12/21 and 12/28 STILL have yet to be scanned anywhere. They are no doubt still sitting in a bin somewhere at our local post office, just like all the other packages.

From the scanning history I have seen, what I was told by a USPS employee - that the delays are at the regional sorting hubs - is a complete lie. The packages are actually just sitting in a bin somewhere at our local post office for WEEKS, without being scanned. I suspect they are not scanning them upon receipt because it would then prove that the packages are just sitting at the post office and not being delivered. Instead it appears that they are purposely not scanning them, in an attempt to hide the egregious delays.

From the tracking information above, it appears to everyone (including the customer!) that the label was created on December 8, but the package wasn't actually brought to the post office until January 1st. This is false - the package was brought to the post office the same day the label was created. It then sat, unscanned, at the post office for three weeks before they got around to processing it. When it finally got processed, it got its first scan on January 1st, which was when USPS actually "accepted" the package.

Here are several packages that scanning shows sat in our local post office for WEEKS before being processed:

http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/submit ... 0165396683
http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/submit ... 0165324709
http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/submit ... 0167760086

Here an example of the many shipments that sat in our local post office for over a week before being sent to a sorting hub without ever being scanned (first scan was IN the sorting hub):

http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/submit ... 0160421724

And lastly - we shipped 17 packages yesterday. Of those 17, not a SINGLE one was scanned at our post office. Of those 17, 16 made it to the Akron sorting facility, where they were scanned - and one is still sitting without any scans at all.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I'd like to say that things are improving...but they're not. The good news, most of the packages we shipped in early December have finally been delivered. We still show packages from late December that have yet to be delivered and also have yet to be scanned in the system anywhere. Packages shipped domestically with 2-3 day Priority Mail are being delivered in between 1-3 weeks. Often, the packages are delivered and yet the tracking for the package still shows "USPS waiting for item."

This is insanely frustrating - both for our customers, who are waiting a long time to get their items, and for us - because the packages aren't being scanned by USPS, we can't do an insurance claim on them, because there's no evidence that we ever actually sent them.

I took a large batch of packages personally to the post office on the 11th. I personally gave the scan form to the surly postal employee and asked that she scan it. My mistake: I didn't stand there and watch her scan it. She never did, and all of those packages are still showing "USPS waiting for item." It's beyond frustrating. They simply aren't doing their job.

I have had MANY packages where the customers (understandably) wanted a refund, so I had to refund them. After all, it had been 4+ weeks since they placed their order, and according to USPS, I had never actually sent the items. And of course, inevitably, the package eventually gets delivered, so those customers got their money back AND they got their items.

This USPS fiasco has cost me probably close to a thousand dollars and counting so far, in lost product and free replacement products shipped to customers.