How to replace your windshield

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Re: How to replace your windshield

Post by Britanicus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am

The Slipstreamer I put on in the pictures in this article is both wider and taller (a few inches) than stock. It basically removes wind for the driver, and significantly reduces buffet for the passenger. The only drawback is that it's a bit warm in hot weather, because the wind is just gone.

Make some airhogs and attach them on your bike like I did in my avatar. What a blessing.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 pm

I just noticed http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/ is using wingadmin's install pic from this thread for the Slipstreamer Wraparound but cropped out the goldwingdocs.com watermark...
If it was me, not sure whether I'd be upset or flattered. Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing one of these for my 80. I really like the looks and the spiderwebbing in my original is getting so bad I have to look over it to see anything :shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:04 pm

spiralout wrote:I just noticed http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/ is using wingadmin's install pic from this thread for the Slipstreamer Wraparound but cropped out the goldwingdocs.com watermark...
If it was me, not sure whether I'd be upset or flattered. Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing one of these for my 80. I really like the looks and the spiderwebbing in my original is getting so bad I have to look over it to see anything :shock:
Thanks, I'll send them a takedown notice. Happens now and then.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Oldbear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
spiralout wrote:I just noticed http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/ is using wingadmin's install pic from this thread for the Slipstreamer Wraparound but cropped out the goldwingdocs.com watermark...
Thanks, I'll send them a takedown notice. Happens now and then.
Did they send you a free windscreen for keeping your picture up?
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:05 pm

This time I have a serious question. Did you "glue" the windscreen nuts onto the fairing or just hold them as you re-installed?
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05 am

Just finished the first fitment. I Used the poster board to get the shape first and then cut it out of Lexan. Just a few modifications in the morning and polish the edges - re-install and rebuild the entire dash :roll: that had to be taken apart to get this done...
Attachments

I won't be looking through a tinted screen anymore...
I won't be looking through a tinted screen anymore...

Poster board template fitment.
Poster board template fitment.

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Finished the windscreen today. Fit right in; I used the heat gun while pushing to alleviate a stress point at the edge of where the chrome meets the Lexan. Just need the snow to go away so I can enjoy riding without the tinted screen... I might polish the edges a bit more just for looks - you can flame polish if your careful.
Attachments

Clear view with no cracks or tint.
Clear view with no cracks or tint.

Can you see a difference?  I know I could clean the bugs... but most of that won't come out.
Can you see a difference? I know I could clean the bugs... but most of that won't come out.

Watch the plastic and smell for over heating.
Watch the plastic and smell for over heating.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Oldbear wrote:This time I have a serious question. Did you "glue" the windscreen nuts onto the fairing or just hold them as you re-installed?
If I recall, I used some really sticky tape to hold them in place while the screws went in.

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Quick update. I got a piece of 1/4" (or close to). The 1/8" I had laying around looked great, formed well and then flopped like a dying duck when I went over 80 kph - if I can find a way to put a kink or bend at the outside edges, like my old one, the flopping should stop... I'll have two screens to choose from then.

I made the screen (on the second try) a few inches lower, and removed the wrap around portion in front of my hand grips. I'm happy with the increase in airflow on warm days and I can hide behind the screen on rainy or cold days.

The plus side - It is bullet proof (we tested a scrap piece with .22 and .38 cal). And it is crow proof... although I needed a shorts change! :shock:
Attachments

It was clean until I left the shop.
It was clean until I left the shop.

JWILLWON3
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing 1100

Post by JWILLWON3 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:32 am

so now you are not showing pictures of the spacers!!!??????????????

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Sat May 02, 2015 7:45 pm

JWILLWON3 wrote:so now you are not showing pictures of the spacers!!!??????????????
What spacers are you looking for?

JWILLWON3
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing 1100

Post by JWILLWON3 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 pm

in reading the comments i read this: scratcho wrote:
You show the spacer being in between the trim and the windshield, the parts book shows it between the windshield and the fairing. Which is the right way? I questioned this when I had mine off recently.

You're absolutely right. I put the spacer in between the trim and windshield because that's how it was when I took it apart - but I just looked at the parts fiche, and you're right, the spacer should be between the windshield and the fairing, and the trim should be directly against the windshield. A previous owner obviously put it together wrong. I'm going to have to take it apart and fix it, and take some more pictures to correct this. Good catch!

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=70#ixzz3Z267l6e1

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Here is the microfiche Wingadmin mentioned. The rubber spacer #7 goes between the fairing (not shown) and the windscreen #3.

Hope this helps.
Attachments

Jorge Caneschi
Motorcycle: Gold Wing Aspencade 1985
Gold Wing Interstate 1985
Mustang Convertible 1969
Jeep Toyota Bandeirantes 1989

Post by Jorge Caneschi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:12 am

WingAdmin wrote:
mbeerman wrote:Great article, again. I am in the market for a new windshield for my 83 interstate. I have checked out several on the internet and I would like some feedback from some experienced riders before I purchase one. The windshield I have now is a replacement by Slipstreamer and it is the stock size. I am 6'4" and have found that I experience buffeting around my helmet at highway speeds. If I crouch down approximately 2 - 3 inches the ride is much quieter.
I have looked at a taller windshield from Cee-Baileys with a built-in vent and the price seems reasonable. I noticed that the replacement windshield in this article is wider as well. I was wondering if this windshield would be tall enough for me to consider?

Any thoughts?

Matthew
The Slipstreamer I put on in the pictures in this article is both wider and taller (a few inches) than stock. It basically removes wind for the driver, and significantly reduces buffet for the passenger. The only drawback is that it's a bit warm in hot weather, because the wind is just gone.
It is possible to make the windshield from a flat sheet of polycarbonate? It's the stuff that I have available here in Brazil. When installing the curve of Windshield is good or not? Does anyone have this experience?

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Jorge. Yes it is. If you look back at this thread you'll see I've built two for this bike. My first was out of 1/8" Lexan and was easy to work with. But was not good for on the road - it bent and flopped at 80km. I went with a piece of 1/4" Lexan on the next try. It was hard to shape but easier to cut and flame polish the edge. It did take two of us to get it mounted the first time. I now have a nice curve to it. Then Bob from Calgary gave me a stock screen from an 1800. I modified that to fit and gained the vent.
The next time I'll get a sheet in between the two sizes. Drive on up to Alberta. I have an extra screen you could have.
Attachments

Last edited by Oldbear on Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge Caneschi
Motorcycle: Gold Wing Aspencade 1985
Gold Wing Interstate 1985
Mustang Convertible 1969
Jeep Toyota Bandeirantes 1989

Post by Jorge Caneschi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Oldbear wrote:Jorge. Yes it is. If you look back at this thread you'll see I've built two for this bike. My first was out of 1/8" Lexan and was easy to work with. But was not good for on the road - it bent and flopped at 80km. I went with a piece of 1/4" Lexan on the next try. It was hard to shape but easier to cut and flame polish the edge. It did take two of us to get it mounted the first time. I now have a nice curve to it. Then Bob from Calgary gave me a stock screen from an 1800. I modified that to fit and gained the vent.
The next time I'll get a sheet in between the two sizes. Drive on up to Alberta. I have an extra screen you could have.

Ok Thank you for your help. :D