BulletHD Biker Pro Camera Review

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Pier28
Motorcycle: http:/Shop.Pier28.com

Re: BulletHD Biker Pro Camera Review

Post by Pier28 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 pm

peppilepew wrote:I am using 64gb cards. They record the data fine. I can access the data through wifi. I have two power supplies wired in. I power 1 camera per supply and leave the other port for future use. The firmware is from a month ago.
Ok so what's not working then? Help us understand what you need help with.

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm

I can not get the video to stream on my computer. It won't recognize the format.

Pier28

Post by Pier28 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:45 pm

peppilepew wrote:I can not get the video to stream on my computer. It won't recognize the format.
"Steaming" means you're trying to watch via wifi. That only works via iOS and Android app. Wifi playback doesn't work via Windows/Mac. You need to remove the card and use a microSD USB card reader.

peppilepew
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:54 pm

I have done so. On two computers

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:18 pm

spiralout wrote:
peppilepew wrote:This goes to Pier28. Why cant I open the SD and select the files for normal viewing without jumping through hoops? I am sure enough of these will sell to finance such a program. Why not supply one? I am not the only one having problems with this.
I don't own one of these but I've never had an audio nor video device that records to SD, no matter the format, that you couldn't browse the files and open with a player of your choice. I'm sure this camera is no different. What is special about this device that you can't open and view a .mov file?
Correct. I just browse them on my PC and play them with VLC (which is free).

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm

peppilepew wrote:I am using 64gb cards. They record the data fine. I can access the data through wifi. I have two power supplies wired in. I power 1 camera per supply and leave the other port for future use. The firmware is from a month ago.
I use 64GB cards as well, they work fine for me - except for updating firmware. For whatever reason, it won't update the firmware from a 64GB card, so I use a 16 GB card for this.

peppilepew
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Scott, which viewing option so you use?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

peppilepew wrote:Scott, which viewing option so you use?
I just pull the card out, stick it in my computer, pull the files off, and use VLC to view them.

Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Post by Eboness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:41 am

Well finally installed my BulletHD Biker Pro on my 2013 GL1800 Level 4 and WOW, great video after a short ride testing the unit. Did the firmware update as described and started recording a sunny day ride. Got home and put the 64 Gig Micro SD card into a Lexar USB/Micro SD adapter and downloaded all the videos to my iMac 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 computer. Everything worked great & no issues viewing any of the 2 minute videos, all 29 of them. Admin I'll try your electrical tape fix for a slightly off kilter picture. Pier28 I do have a question? I know just enough about computers and my Mac to be dangerous but when it comes to the BulletHD settings I haven't a clue what they should be. Could you suggest the setting for the camera for best video and recording settings. The best for me would be list each setting in order as they appear on the setting screen as I see them on my iPad Mini. Orrrrrrr are the factory setting good the way the are? If so in light of my described bucket list tour to The Maritimes and Newfoundland what duration of video record would be best. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Ride safe everyone or at least ride like they are out to kill you! ;)
Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

Pier28

Post by Pier28 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:49 am

Eboness wrote:Pier28 I do have a question? I know just enough about computers and my Mac to be dangerous but when it comes to the BulletHD settings I haven't a clue what they should be. Could you suggest the setting for the camera for best video and recording settings. The best for me would be list each setting in order as they appear on the setting screen as I see them on my iPad Mini. Orrrrrrr are the factory setting good the way the are? If so in light of my described bucket list tour to The Maritimes and Newfoundland what duration of video record would be best. Thanks again for all your help guys.
Welcome to the BulletHD club.
List your settings.txt file here for starters and I'll go over everything. (Copy paste)

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 am

Have not changed anything as of first install of camera. So I guess it's at factory right now.

Pier28

Post by Pier28 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Eboness wrote:Have not changed anything as of first install of camera. So I guess it's at factory right now.
I'm in Hong Kong until the 18th do won't have access to a sample settings.txt file for awhile. Please list the default one here and I'll explain each setting if its not Clear.

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:39 pm

It's not a big issue just asking about what setting would be good. I will read through the user manual and play with it.
Maybe just give me a quick post when you are back in town. No rush.
Take care.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Eboness WingAdmin did a great install of camera on a GL1500. I was looking at putting on my 89 Gl1500, but it is now up for sale, moved up to a 2006 GL1800.

So my question to you is where did you mount the camera?

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi captdecker, I have a drill team practice tomorrow, so will be riding.
I will take a few pictures and post them for you. Should be up around
9:30 PM (PST) here.

Take care and ride safe.

captdecker
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Thank you, I will see tomorrow. I in MST. Ride safe and often.

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 am

Hi captdecker, The installation was very easy and I decided early on to place the Duel USB Power Converter under the
left pocket of the fairing and the Main Controller in the left pocket, as the third and four photos show. I ran a red and
black 18 gauge wires from my accessory terminals located just in the top right hand corner of the fuse box on the left
side of the wing, left of the battery, up to the space below the left pocket. I then attached these two leads to the controller.
Remember to solder all connections and use heat shrink to protect any soldering you do. I ran the Optic nerve cable
from the main controller down to the front of the wing to where I wanted the camera. You will notice two screws on
either side of the fairing just below each headlight, I used one of them as a secure mount point for the camera. The
OEM screw is to short, so find the same thread size screw, but make sure it is at least 1" long. I didn't use the supplied
camera mount as I agree with Admin you risk the chance of hitting the camera with the forks or fender if you have to
much travel in the forks. I just used a tie strap base with a black tie strap,(zip tie) to mount the camera flush with the
under side of the fairing, as the first two photos show. That's pretty much it as for installation.
Hope this helps you in your BulletHD installation on your GL1800.
Ride safe.
Attachments

captdecker
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for the info. I will using the right pocket as the still camera fits in the left pocket. All ready run power over to that side, will use the second usb port to power IPhone that will be on right side handlebar. I like the use of tie strap base though I thinking of mount down the side, as I have driving lights where you placed the camera,

Ride safe and often.

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:32 am

As I have a Level 4 Airbag model the only pocket I have is the left side, at least on my 2013 Wing. As you seem to have a different level Wing you have more options for mounting than me. Have fun and ride safe Capt.

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am

Hi Pier28, I know you are still in Hong Kong, but I now understand what you wanted, i.e. Setting txt. file.
Hope this is it.

Eboness

Post by Eboness » Sat May 07, 2016 1:21 am

Eboness wrote:I have a question for Pier28, I'm going on a bucket list trip of a lifetime this summer, which will involve shipping two Gold Wings and two cargo trailers via Air Canada from Vancouver B.C. to Montreal, QC.
We will then ride to The Maritimes and Newfoundland and then ride back to B.C. all in a little over a month. The reason I bought the BulletHD Pro was to video the trip, now here's the question. I don't want to carry around a ton of 64Gig MicroSD's so I found this solution. At the end of each day I'll remove the MicroSD card and put it in a Kingston Mobilelite Wireless G2, http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wir ... ders#mlwg2 then plug a 1TB SSD portable drives into the G2 to transfer the video files I decide to keep of each day's ride. Do you think this is the way to go for video storage while on this trip? We will not have a laptop on this trip and we only use iPad Mini's for internet.
Thanks for your or anyone else input on this storage issue.

Ride safe.
I finally got to try out my Kingston MobileLite G2 and Adata HD650 External HDD 1TB drive as a place to save my vacation videos. After placing my 64 Gig MircoSD, from my BulletHD Pro, into a SD Adapter I then placed it into the G2. Following the directions & with in less than 2 minutes all my video files were placed safely into the HD650. This setup will work great for storing all my videos at the end of each days ride will touring Newfoundland & The Maritimes. Check out this video I found on Youtube on the procedure for placing video files from a Micro SD to a external hard drive.

Ride safe everyone.

Pier28

Post by Pier28 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:31 am

FYI: The all new May 2016 - Biker Pro Plus is now in stock! (Aluminum Metal Lens Housing, New Packaging with Pre Assembled Cables, Free 32GB Transcend 400x Premium microSD card included) Here is the Amazon listing, our main site and ebay listings and details will be adjusted over the next few days.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBAQBW6/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashc ... -wifi.html

vantage2
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing

Post by vantage2 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 pm

thanks to your original post here, i bought the BULLETHD biker mate.. (no wifi) but am EXTREMELY happy and satisfied with the video quality. I only have one question that i hope you can answer. My BulletHD, only records for blocks of 20 minutes. No matter what setting i use. after the 20 minutes, it keeps recording however but i can't view any of those recordings. example.. i have 10 5 minute videos, i can only view 1-4 but 5-10 give me error messages. I keep getting error messages that the file is damaged or corrupt. i contacted the BULLETHD support and they recommend i change and use a better quality memory card. i see you posted a picture with the two memory cards you used and seeing that you have had no issues with yours, can you tell me if you've had any issues with your recordings or can you tell me what memory card you use and are still using?
This unit is simply amazing and as most riders out there.. i don't just go for a 30 minute ride, i go for a full day tour somewhere and most times i get lost on purpose and try and find my way back home and stumble across some amazing sites.
any insight would be helpful.

Thanks as always for this amazing web site and forums. I've learned so much and have done so many things to my bike that i would have been afraid to do in the past.
You'll never find a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office.... Just saying!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri May 13, 2016 9:31 am

vantage2 wrote:thanks to your original post here, i bought the BULLETHD biker mate.. (no wifi) but am EXTREMELY happy and satisfied with the video quality. I only have one question that i hope you can answer. My BulletHD, only records for blocks of 20 minutes. No matter what setting i use. after the 20 minutes, it keeps recording however but i can't view any of those recordings. example.. i have 10 5 minute videos, i can only view 1-4 but 5-10 give me error messages. I keep getting error messages that the file is damaged or corrupt. i contacted the BULLETHD support and they recommend i change and use a better quality memory card. i see you posted a picture with the two memory cards you used and seeing that you have had no issues with yours, can you tell me if you've had any issues with your recordings or can you tell me what memory card you use and are still using?
This unit is simply amazing and as most riders out there.. i don't just go for a 30 minute ride, i go for a full day tour somewhere and most times i get lost on purpose and try and find my way back home and stumble across some amazing sites.
any insight would be helpful.

Thanks as always for this amazing web site and forums. I've learned so much and have done so many things to my bike that i would have been afraid to do in the past.
Here's what I found.

The two cards you see in the image are a 64GB Samsung and a 32GB Transcend.

The Transcend was the one that was sent with the unit for review, and it works great with it.

The Samsung I bought myself for $20 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Ada ... ingdocs-20

It is a class 10 SDXC card, which means it is fast.

Both cards work equally as well in the unit. The 32GB card gives about 3-4 hours video, while the 64GB offers double that.

HOWEVER...

If you want to update the firmware in the camera, I have found that it WILL NOT accept a firmware file from the 64GB card. It just pretends the firmware file doesn't exist. It works fine using the 32GB card.

So while I use the 64GB card for everyday use, I keep the 32GB card handy as well in case I need to do firmware updates (or for use as a spare).

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 am

I had the same problem with my cheeeep car cam. It see my 32GB card but not the 64GB.
But I cheated? I partitioned the 64 into two 32 drives and it sees both drives.
Only other problem is my cheap cam I have to manually set which drive to use.
EH, :? tradeoffs.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"