New 2018 Goldwing Survey

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links

What are your thoughts regarding the new 2018 Goldwing?

It's fantastic in every way, I've already got my deposit in
1%
It looks pretty good, I'll consider buying one when it is available
5%
It's just too expensive for my tastes/budget
13%
The lack of storage space is a deal-breaker for me
15%
The great new technology is amazing
14%
Too much whizz-bang technology for me
4%
Honda concentrated too much on shaving weight and not enough on improving a great touring bike
16%
I don't care for a sport bike on steroids, I just want a comfortable tourer
13%
I love the prospect of a sporty tourer with exceptional performance
9%
I expected more considering what the competition has released recently
9%

Total votes: 479

wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Re: New 2018 Goldwing Survey

Post by wingthing88 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:44 pm

I have been an avid fan of Honda since I was about 7 years old(long long time ago)and fell in love with the goldwing when I saw my first one in 1975. I have loved almost every improvement made. I wasn't overly impressed with the GL1800 but i looked good. I am totally disappointed in the new wing I understand the theory behind the new front suspension but it looks like a maintenance nightmare and a high probability of parts failure. Automatic transmission? Less fuel? Less storage? More electronics? This sounds like a complete failure from the start. If Honda took a 1500 and added a 6th gear the world would be a perfect place.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 pm

One more post and I will quit, technology is not a bad thing, and is the norm nowadays and especially when it comes from Honda who doesn't like parts that break. (Don't belive it then buy a European made something and see how much you spend on maintenance). I sort of laugh at comments (mine and others) about the price of the new bike as I remember an older tech I worked with back in 1975. He was retirement age then and was in charge of new car predelivery at the Ford dealer I was working at. You could hear that old Italian fussing all over the shop "five thousand dollars for a FORD? They are crazy!" $25k or more is a lot of money no doubt, but I it buys a lot of bike. What we expect is very much colored by what we have had before.
OK, I wish that Honda had made some different choices as far as storage and so fourth but it may be that the new model will prove to be a real prize. (even if the aftermarket makes a killing selling larger bags)

ralphdud
Motorcycle: 13 F6B

Post by ralphdud » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am

As riding season is pretty much over in New England (they salted the roads around here recently) my 2013 F6B is already at my dealership on consignment / trade, and I'm signed up for a 2018 Red DCT Tour. I guess I'm a minority rider that doesn't need all kinds of luggage as I'm a day tripper at best, so the reduction of storage doesn't bother me. I had a 2010 Goldwing for a while, traded it for the '13 F6B as I personally found the full boat Goldwing to be just too ponderous for me. With the trimming down of the 2018, and the addition of ABS, GPS and other tech across the board, I think the redesigned Goldwing lands right in the center of my needs.

As far as reduction of fuel capacity, it remains to be seen, but I was never able to get the even the 2010 below 40 miles per gallon, the F6B routinely delivered 45, but when it comes to having an extra gallon of gas on board, Honda should have just left the room for it, another 1% of the bikes weight doesn't make much difference!

It's about time the technology was brought into the 21st century, (although perhaps there's almost an overabundance in some aspects?) 100% LED illumination is a welcome change.

As I am an aging (67) rider with nearly 50 years now off and on bikes, I guess I had to also come to realize that getting a bike with ABS, some sort of traction management, and even knuckle under and appreciate that DCT would allow some of the "attention budget" to be better focused on situational awareness, the 2018 should precisely fill the bill for me.

It would be likely that given enough marketplace demand, Honda might offer a bigger trunk, after all, they offer a trunk removal kit for the tour version, which means it's replaceable with something different. Heck, this means I could even have the option of taking the trunk of the Tour when I'm in an "F6B mood". It's unlikely it's a 15 minute procedure, although.

Everyone's situation is different, for some, the 2018 is perfect, for others, it's not, Honda is dealing with a worldwide market, we'll see if their efforts work out. One thing is for sure, the reactions to this release are pretty remarkable!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

Hmmm, I hear a "2018 Goldwing Practical Review" in your future for the group ;)

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Post by MasterDaniel904 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Less storage = Less (zero) interest. I ride my GL1500 everywhere, but mostly to work. I'm a handyman. I carry a full tool bag in the right saddlebag, emergency gear in the left and the trunk holds job specific tools and materials, and I STILL put things on the rear seat, or on the trailer I tow. Didn't upgrade to the 1800 primarily for that reason (among others).

I installed an oversized windshield as I'm 6'2 and prefer not to freeze my neck off while winter riding. It doesn't need to go up and down, I have a garage to cover it when parked.

I don't want a bunch of fancy electronics. I went through 4 radios when I first bought the bike, fortunately off the dealer floor and under warranty.

Owning a '96 I have to do my own maintenance now as dealers want $150+ an hour for any bike more than 4 years old. I am not investing in any testers more than my pocket multi-tester. Costs me a few dollars to replace the lights in my dash, only now going out after 21 years. Anyone priced "dropping in" a new dash module yet when it goes? There ain't no repairing one of those. Change the oil without a center stand? I am not investing in a bike lift for oil changes.

The new suspension, transmission, engine? Great. Put it back into the body of a 1500 and I'm shopping for one tomorrow. Seriously. Just paid off my lady's Spyder last month and the money is in the budget. Cherry red please. Otherwise, I'll keep the '96 going as long as possible and then look elsewhere.

Curious. We talk of the 1100's 1200's 1500's 1800's, what is this one going to be called colloquially? The "Failure" to listen to the customer? The greatest "riding" bike in the world is going nowhere if it doesn't meet the customer's NEEDS.
All seasons. No exceptions.

ceshaw
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800
2007 vtx1800f

Post by ceshaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:41 pm

My wife and I spend the summer on our bikes. Mine is a 2009 Wing and hers a 2009 Yamaha Royal Venture. I already have a travel bag on the rear seat for shoes and a few things that are awkward in the trunk. I hope the aftermarket can quickly come up with a solution for the itty-bitty storage capacity. I really like my 2009 but was hoping to buy a new bike this spring.. I looked at the new Yamaha but don't like to go back to a thumping twin or an air cooled engine. There are several real Touring Bikes with big bags. Aftermarket please get on this severe shortcoming for a Touring bike.

Craig
Ontario Canada

AaronzDad
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by AaronzDad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Yup, I agree with the other complaints here. I'm calling this the Goldwing Egg because Honda laid a huge one here. I think they're a Japanese company making Japanese bikes for Japanese people to ride in Japan - then they're trying to sell 'em in the USA. Americans aren't getting smaller and our gear ain't getting less. I want MORE storage and MORE fuel. I like having a BIG fairing and windscreen cutting the breeze for me. I want a LONGER bike so I'm not sitting with my feet behind my knees. Where the heck DO you put the highway pegs?

I don't want to fill up when the tank says "feed me or walk". I want to stop and fill up when it suits ME. I'd really love a bike with an eight or ten gallon tank, I don't care how long it is or what it weighs. Seriously, is weight even a consideration when you have a car-sized engine in a bike???

How are my wife and I supposed to go for four or five day ride with nowhere to put our gear? Toss in my leathers, her leathers, a few changes of clothes, toiletry and hygiene stuff, my travel humidor, our two compact folding chairs, and assorted other odds and ends... and we need a trailer.

I'm impressed with the technological developments. The front suspension change was long overdue and it looks like a brilliant solution. The dual clutch is definitely the future of transmissions. Whine all you want about computerized gizmos gadgets and gew-gaws but technology is here to stay and it's taking over the world. I'd really love to test ride one but I certainly would never buy one. They've turned a great touring bike into a crappy overweight street cruiser. I'm disappointed and disgusted.

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am

I must be missing something,(Not the first time, or the last) I have read a few comments that the touring has no center stand.(I can't belive "center" was not in the computer dictionary or belive) any ways, all the pictures and videos I have seen of the touring model standing still show it standing straight up I assumed on a center stand. Am I wrong????

IdahoHacker
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Post by IdahoHacker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

Greenwinger wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am
I must be missing something,(Not the first time, or the last) I have read a few comments that the touring has no center stand.(I can't belive "center" was not in the computer dictionary or belive) any ways, all the pictures and videos I have seen of the touring model standing still show it standing straight up I assumed on a center stand. Am I wrong????
It's an optional accessory. $150, I think.
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.

twoweeled
Motorcycle: 2009 Goldwing

Post by twoweeled » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am

minimac wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 am
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Does Honda want the Goldwing to be a sport bike or the turnpike tourer it's always been? It can't be both. As the tourer it was without equal and was the gold standard. As a sport bike, IMHO, it falls short of the STs, BMWs, or Concours. Heck, my 2006 650 Burgman Executive has an electrically adjustable windshield, automatic or shift manually transmission, and, even with the added 55 liter trunk and Corbin seat, cost far less than half of what the new 'Wing will cost.
As far as saving weight, is there really that big of difference whether it's 800 or 900 lbs once you're moving? I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't seem so. With the new engine design, I would have hoped for much better fuel economy, although finally offering the DCT is a nice option. Why not use the saved weight to increase the storage capacity of the trunk and give the sidebags more usable space without everything falling out of them when they're opened?
I waited along time before I finally bought my Goldwing. It's served me well for close to twenty five years so far. That's a good thing, because I'll most likely never have another.
You said it. My exact feelings. All things being equal, less weight is better. However, all things are not equal. We traded less weight for fewer attributes! I'm much more concerned with comfort (2018 seems to have a smaller seat and cockpit), longer range(2018 has a smaller fuel tank) and always more luggage capacity (they've noticeably reduced storage capacity). Those are keys to a long range touring machine! What was Honda thinking? The only possibility I can see, is Honda will be willing to redesign the plastic later and install larger luggage and seating. I doubt Honda can install a much larger gas tank. I think Honda had to reduce the fuel tank. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind intentionally reducing fuel capacity on a touring bike. They had too. More comfortable seating, larger cockpit, and luggage increased to previous size at minimum, would put me into contemplation mode. As the 2018 stands, I have no interest. None! Zero! Nada!

twoweeled

Post by twoweeled » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 am

Greenwinger wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am
I think it's an option. I think the trunk is either an option or an upper level Goldwing? So,,,,is Honda now nickle and diming us on a $30,000 touring machine? That irks me even more! I feel like Honda is giving us the finger, and I'm giving it right back to Honda.

IdahoHacker
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Post by IdahoHacker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am

The center stand is standard on the Tour model. It's only an option on the non-Tour, (no trunk), model.
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.

Ralf_CT
Motorcycle: 2014 Honda PCX150. Owned a GL1100 Interstate from '90-'91, stopped riding in 1994, back in saddle since 2014. Keen to get a GL1500 or GL1800.

Post by Ralf_CT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:34 pm

823JIM wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 am
Roypaul wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 pm

The less weight is awesome !
As for getting rid of the centre stand- best thing ever. I never ever ever use the damn thing because you need 3 people to lift the damn thing onto the stand!
I am 5'6" and just shy of 66 years old and have no problem at all putting my GL1800 on the center stand by my self. Sounds like you truly do need a lighter and smaller big.
Yes, it's all in the technique, if done correctly the bike literally rolls on to the center stand. No center stand will be challenging to those doing their own maintenance... even my PCX150 scooter has a center stand!
Ex GL1100 Interstate rider. Aspiring GL1500/1800 rider.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm

To me, and the guys at the dealership I frequent, it's not really a Goldwing, it's closer to being truly an ST1800 as it's more sport oriented.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

twoweeled

Post by twoweeled » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Wow. Survey not only looks poor for future sales, it really isn't any surprise to me. No surprise at all. I think Honda may have to make a couple of options available, to say the least! But who knows.

Ronnowell
Motorcycle: 2018 DCT airbag Goldwing

Post by Ronnowell » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 am

There is certainly a lot of negative views on this site , have any of you ridden the 2018 ? It rides and handles so much better than any previous wing , wind protection from the smaller fairing is equally as good as any other 1800 , only place I notice a difference is in the rain my boots get a little wet , no lower heater vent .
Honda did a great job of creating a bike that looks good , rides well and most likely will last well into the 100k mile range . Fuel economy is superb , I’m averaging near 50 miles per gallon plus and minus depending on the day and ride. All the electronics , well , some love them some don’t , I’m not up to using all of the technology myself but maybe will figure it out someday . Cb works well with Bluetooth and Bluetooth headsets work ok.
Honda could of done a bit better job with fit and finish but all in all a fantastic new Goldwing !
Storage , probably 60% or more of us tour with a trailer , so what’s the storage issue ? Enough room on the bike for essentials easily.
Ride well my friends 😊

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 am

Ronnowell wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 am
There is certainly a lot of negative views on this site , have any of you ridden the 2018 ? It rides and handles so much better than any previous wing , wind protection from the smaller fairing is equally as good as any other 1800 , only place I notice a difference is in the rain my boots get a little wet , no lower heater vent .
Honda did a great job of creating a bike that looks good , rides well and most likely will last well into the 100k mile range . Fuel economy is superb , I’m averaging near 50 miles per gallon plus and minus depending on the day and ride. All the electronics , well , some love them some don’t , I’m not up to using all of the technology myself but maybe will figure it out someday . Cb works well with Bluetooth and Bluetooth headsets work ok.
Honda could of done a bit better job with fit and finish but all in all a fantastic new Goldwing !
Storage , probably 60% or more of us tour with a trailer , so what’s the storage issue ? Enough room on the bike for essentials easily.
Ride well my friends 😊
Do you work for Honda..... hahaha :-)

Glad you like it, I don't. :(

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 am

IMHO, fewer folks over 50 will like it and won’t trade in their 12, 15, or 18 hundreds (2017 and older).

What I think Honda has done is to go for the <50 or <40 market for the next generation or two of Goldwing riders.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

twoweeled

Post by twoweeled » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Ronnowell wrote:
Ride well my friends 😊
You really believe the percentage of people pulling trailers is around 60%? Seems high to me, but I really don't know either way. But if it is that high, pulling a trailer pretty much nullifies the whole weight loss advantage of the 2018.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Ronnowell wrote:
Ride well my friends 😊

It has nothing to do with the ride and handling. I use my 1500 for everyday activities, such as getting groceries, and I would like to actually take them home without a backpack. That, and the sport touring style which is not what a GoldWing is. The tech is great, assuming it works well. Sure, I like the increased mileage, but the reduced tank to keep the same range puts me off. This bike is closer to an ST1800, which IS a good idea along with a new Wing, but the Wing has been a luxury full dress touring rig for many years, decades even. Let the younger set get their taste for touring with a true sport tourer, then move to a true full dress touring bike, neither of which this new one is.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 am

Ronnowell wrote:
Ride well my friends 😊
Really? That must be the reason this passage is included on Page 17 of the 2018 GL1800BD Owner's Manual...
"Do not pull a trailer with, or attach a sidecar
to, your motorcycle. Your motorcycle was
not designed for these attachments, and
their use can seriously impair your
motorcycle’s handling."

At any rate, there are a few good reviews on this site too. By the way, your view of the machine is not all flowers and chocolates either.
Everyone has likes and dislikes. Either one likes it and buys it or they don't like it and they keep what the have. We should learn to accept that.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 am

Have owned and sold an '08 1800, and have two '85 LTDs on the road. Took the new 1800 for a test ride and it is a nice, new bike. I think Honda did listen to comments about the 1800, and perused the various forums to get a feel for the way forward. I would submit that this new GW is designed and put out there to directly take on the BMW 1600 sport touring bike, and to attract similar users as well. Making it look more slim and sleek is also a way to try and remove the bike persona of being a heavy bike and for older riders.

Test rode one and a new bike is a pleasure to ride, same with a new car, no denying. Liked the new sound, bit more throaty, but not offensively loud. The front suspension is magic, can't say enough about it. The rest of the bells and whistles are nice to have and even us old codgers want to be connected to some degree. Lots of power and the 1800 I rode was the DCT model. Hit it on the highway and it downshifted and had to hold on. Luggage carrying capacity is probably adequate and I say this because if you buy one of these new 1800s, it has to be. I would like to ride it in the rain to experience the weather envelope because the older 1800s were very good at keeping you dry.

Will I be buying one, probably not as it is too rich for my blood. Can keep a 1200 going for a long time on the price of the new GW. If it is in the cards for you, go for it and enjoy.

Before I retired completely, always noticed that it was easier to critique then it was to come up with a concept and bring it to fruition. I submit that this new GW is not for us older gents, but to try to bring in new younger blood that will keep the legacy going, that is unless this new GW is for you. HD has done this with its smaller 750 and such machines. Get them in the door and keep them is a great marketing plan and HD is a master at this, BMW is a close second as well.

Just MHO, and nickles worth - no more pennies in Canada.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Springer
Motorcycle: GL1800BD

Post by Springer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 am
IMHO, fewer folks over 50 will like it and won’t trade in their 12, 15, or 18 hundreds (2017 and older).

What I think Honda has done is to go for the <50 or <40 market for the next generation or two of Goldwing riders.
At age 73 with arthritic knees and wrists my elephant GL1500 (and other thousand pounders) are waaayy gone in the rearview mirror. The 2018 with DCT, walk mode, hill start assist is what kept me on two wheels. If Honda hadn't downsized it I wouldn't have looked twice at it.

Naval Aviation Mustang '62-'85

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Springer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm
C-dub wrote:

At age 73 with arthritic knees and wrists my elephant GL1500 (and other thousand pounders) are waaayy gone in the rearview mirror. The 2018 with DCT, walk mode, hill start assist is what kept me on two wheels. If Honda hadn't downsized it I wouldn't have looked twice at it.

That's awesome!

I did say that "fewer" folks over 50 would like it, not none. I don't completely dislike the new Wing. My wife wanted one last year and I'm really happy with the one we got. If we would have waited and got a new 2018 I'm sure we'd be just as happy with it with the exception of the price tag. We did get $6-7k off our 2016 last year.

I'll probably still be riding at 70+, but don't know about my wife. I hope she is. After all, all she has to do is throw her leg over and enjoy the view. We gotta a lotta places we still wanna see and are just getting started on our Wing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Springer
Motorcycle: GL1800BD

Post by Springer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 am

C-dub wrote:

I did say that "fewer" folks over 50 would like it, not none.
Absolutely; not disagreeing at all.

I monitor 5 Wing forums and there is an awful lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from "oldwingers" :shock: about the downsizing of the 2018.

But there is an undercurrent of really old wingers that no longer have the desire, ambition or physique to horse around thousands of pounds of bike and baggage. My 2018 is remarkably nimble, well balanced and offers as standard equipment all the creature comforts I need. It has two shortcomings: lack of OEM highway pegs/boards (I'm 6'1" and need to stretch a bit) and it's saddlebags are even more cantankerous than those on my CTX1300 (and I didn't think that was possible :? )

But RIVCO and others are now coming forward with highway pegs, and I've upgraded my usual touring bag (DowCo/Iron Rider large roll bag) to a Saddlemen Deluxe Sport Tail Bag. So....life should be good 8-)

Naval Aviation Mustang '62-'85