Antenna tears in motorcycle cover


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
handlebarjohn
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Farrell, PA
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Gl1800 Gold Wing

Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by handlebarjohn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 am



I recently tore a small hole in my cover when the sharp point of the folded antenna snagged it. To prevent this from happening again I took a 1/2" foam pipe insulator elbow and sealed the factory outside edge. I then cut the foam on the inside edge to make a split sleeve that I could install over the folded antenna. Now no worries on catching the antenna on the cover as I install it.



User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by themainviking » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

We took white pex water line of a size suitable to slide snuggly over the antenna when folded, cut a notch up one side to let it slide past the antenna, and cemented an end cap for the water line on one end. These can be kept in the trunk, and slid over the antennas (both of them) to create a smoother top so the cover does not get punctured. We have a GWRRA campout every year, and we made these and put them in a grab bag for every bike owner who registered and attended. Some of the Valkyrie owners did not need theirs and have passed them along.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19543
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I've also seen tennis balls used, with two holes cut in them, and a slit between the holes:





User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 pm

I use Tennis balls, and don't bother with the holes,

I just used a razor knife to slice half way around, and once folded over, I just push them down on the antenna.

far faster to put on, take off.
~John

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3477
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by dingdong » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am

Is this ripped cover an 1800 problem? I have yet to develop a rip with my 1500 cover after 7 years.???
Tom

John F. Kennedy would be impeached by todays liberal Democratic socialist party.

handlebarjohn
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Farrell, PA
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Gl1800 Gold Wing

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by handlebarjohn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 am

These were all great ideas. I wished I had seen them before. I didn't have this problem with my GL1200 so it was a surprise when it happened on my GL1800. Maybe it has to do with the design of the cover and how it fits.

DaveO430
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by DaveO430 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am

handlebarjohn wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 am
These were all great ideas. I wished I had seen them before. I didn't have this problem with my GL1200 so it was a surprise when it happened on my GL1800. Maybe it has to do with the design of the cover and how it fits.
Probably the cover. I had to make holes in my cover for the flag poles to go through rather than taking them off, I could barely make a knife go through the cover. Motogear from WalMart, it's tough.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19543
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

dingdong wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am
Is this ripped cover an 1800 problem? I have yet to develop a rip with my 1500 cover after 7 years.???
It must be, because I've never had that problem with my 1500 either. Or my 1100, for that matter.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:00 pm

dingdong wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am
Is this ripped cover an 1800 problem? I have yet to develop a rip with my 1500 cover after 7 years.???
nope, had the same problem with both of 1500s....

it depends on the quality of the cover purchased.

Beverly Bay made 3 layer cover with a heavy "patch' sewn on the areas where the antenna bends over..... my current cover is a single layer of nylon material and it started to rip thru before I thought about getting the tennis balls again.
~John

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by garwil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 am

It is not just an 1800 problem. The first cover I bought for my '99 GL1500SE was a light nylon. Although it had reinforcements sewn in for the antenna, they were to small and I made a small rip the very first time I put it on. After that I had to be careful every time I used it.
I later purchased a better quality cover. I am still careful, but so far have not had a problem.
I saw a post somewhere where a rider made a leather square that he sewed into a tube at one end. He put that on the antenna where they rode hanging over the hinge. When he folded the antenna down, the leather flap would be positioned to cover the sharp corners that cause the tears.

Mottsy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:38 am
Location: Wokingham, England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: Kawasaki gt750

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by Mottsy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:06 am

I use a piece of old bicycle inner tube. About 3 inches long with a V cut into one side in the middle.
The inner tube slides over the antenna and is always on the bike. When you fold the antenna down just slide the inner tube up to the hinge point, the V cut will allow it to bend at 90 degrees.
When you lift the antenna back up to ride the inner tube slides back down to the base and sits there till it's next needed.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by cihilb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 am

themainviking wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm
We took white pex water line of a size suitable to slide snuggly over the antenna when folded, cut a notch up one side to let it slide past the antenna, and cemented an end cap for the water line on one end. These can be kept in the trunk, and slid over the antennas (both of them) to create a smoother top so the cover does not get punctured. We have a GWRRA campout every year, and we made these and put them in a grab bag for every bike owner who registered and attended. Some of the Valkyrie owners did not need theirs and have passed them along.
I did the same thing after putting a hole in my half cover. I pack them in with my cover so they don't get "lost" in the trunk.
My full cover doesn't seem to have the problem since it does't fit quite as tight over the trunk.

User avatar
nsjoe
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Wickliffe, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: Antenna tears in motorcycle cover

Post by nsjoe » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:00 pm
dingdong wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am
Is this ripped cover an 1800 problem? I have yet to develop a rip with my 1500 cover after 7 years.???
nope, had the same problem with both of 1500s....

it depends on the quality of the cover purchased.

Beverly Bay made 3 layer cover with a heavy "patch' sewn on the areas where the antenna bends over..... my current cover is a single layer of nylon material and it started to rip thru before I thought about getting the tennis balls again.
I agree with John, it's a cover thing. I have one of the Beverly Bay Aqua Plush covers, and no issues. It's pretty bullet proof.


Joe
Darksider #493

Post Reply