Is there a repair for floppy mirrors early Hondaline fairings

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
d9canada
Motorcycle: 75 Goldwing GL1000
82 CBX six cyl.
Every displ Honda 4 350F to 900C
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Is there a repair for floppy mirrors early Hondaline fairings

Post by d9canada » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:26 pm

I have a collection of Hondas 63 to 83, including a 75 GL1000, 81 GL 500, 82 GL500i and an 82 CB900C that all use the Hondaline fairing. I don't want to debate the pro's and con's because I have a Vetter Windjammer on one of my other CB900Cs and a Vindicator and a couple of the little Shoei things for some of my SOHCs, they all have their place. My question is, does anyone have a repair procedure for the Hondaline mirrors when they won't hold its position where the arm meets the mount on the fairing? I removed one mirror last summer thinking "surely this cannot be that difficult" but it does not seem like an easy fix. It would be a shame to throw away an otherwise good condition part and the only other suggestion I got was to quickly epoxy the inside, reinstall it and position the way I want it before the epoxy sets. Most of you have probably moved on to newer bikes but maybe somone recalls the "aha" moment when you discovered a fix that worked. Please & thankyou!!

badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Re: Is there a repair for floppy mirrors early Hondaline fairings

Post by badandy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:20 pm

I have a 1982 Honda Silverwing with the Hondaline fairing with the factory mirrors. Same problem here. There is a tensioner spring under a bolt where the mirror mount is. Same on the inside behind the glass. You can carefully remove the glass and seal to get to these to tighten the bolts. Over time the spring gets weak and needs tweaked. . Work the seal off with your thumbs. It can be stubborn, but can be done.

wisner955
Motorcycle: 1981 CB900F

Post by wisner955 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:22 am

d9canada, Did you ever find a solution to the floppy mirrors? I have the same problem and was wondering about a set screw collar to replace the "finger nut" that slips off.

Still around?

Paul

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Sat May 12, 2018 10:39 am

Paul, I have not found a good repair solution, sorry. In fact when I got notified of your message, I was hoping someone had "the fix". I was told some time ago that there are replacements available. I'll see if I can find out where that was. I'm pretty sure the replacements were aftermarket.

wisner955

Post by wisner955 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Are we talking about the same problem? Are you familiar with the spring loaded pivot pin that allows the mirrors to pivot backwards? That is where my problem is. The press on multi-finger nut that holds the spring in compression won't hold. This allows the mirror to flop forward and back.

Paul

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Yes, same problem - I've pulled a couple of them apart, figured I'd adjusted them up only to find they're flopping around. I must admit, it was April last year when I was fighting with it, so I can't recall everything I tried. I read one "solution" about quickly banging the thing together with epoxy and get it adjusted before the epoxy sets. I want it back adjustable as before, just not floppy. If you have any ideas, Paul, I'd probably dirty deeds for the solution :o

I'll ask my buddy what he bought and let you know.

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Sat May 12, 2018 4:35 pm

OK, sorry I didn't post this way back (and even sorrier that I didn't buy a couple sets at the time) but my Buddy bought a set of replacements from Saber Cycle in Raytown MO, part no 86-001, description "Mirrors - fairing '80 - '83 Hondaline-style", price $39 each. The only apparent diff from the originals is there is no magnification but he says they work fine.

They may be made by EMGO or other aftermarket outfit, and available from other sources. I recall reading some bad news about Saber (if it's the same Saber and not some other Sabre or whatever).

Hope this helps. If anyone has success or God forbid, problems, with aftermarket products, please let us all know!
Brian

wisner955

Post by wisner955 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Sabre Cycle is only 10 miles from me. Unfortunately that part number is NOT what I'm looking for.

https://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product378.html

Mine is 1981 factory Hondaline Fairing on CB900F. I will be working on it in the next couple of weeks (in storage, not at my house). I'm going to look at a collar with set screws to replace the finger nut. Something like this with modifications: https://www.mcmaster.com/#9946k19/=1ctbkxa

I'm thinking of milling it thinner and adding 2 more set screws to grip the shaft and hold the spring tension.

I'll let you know if it bears fruit.

Paul

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Sat May 12, 2018 5:25 pm

wisner955 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:06 pm
NOT what I'm looking for
Sorry it's not right. And the price is 33 for PAIR! These are just like the Hondaline mirrors on my 81 CB750C, 81 & 82 GL500s, and a couple spare Hondalines I've accumulated.

So are you mirrors different or you're just looking for a part? I've never seen any other mirrors on these fairings.

Certainly, I'd like to see your fix if it works. Good luck, Paul!

OH PS I just googled EMGO Hondaline mirrors and found a ton of options - you might want to check 'em out before doing a bunch of homespun fab work

https://www.google.com/search?q=EMGO+Ho ... -14zLHWZ_M:

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Sat May 12, 2018 11:26 pm

I put valve grinding compound on the pivot points. That's it , a smear of it and the mirrors stay put waaaaaaaayyyyyy beyond what cops around these parts consider "reasonable and proper" speed.

Available at all auto parts stores.

Cosmo

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 am

Well! For Heaven's sake! Great idea Cosmo! :ugeek:
For all my years of experience wrenching all sorts of machinery, I've never considered putting an abrasive into a thing like that.
The problem isn't the spring or the mechanical disadvantage it is at but the sheer fact the thing is slipping.
You can't stop it slipping by taking it apart, cleaning and lubricating it, and expect that the spring will hold it!
I'll certainly give it a try.

NevsMate
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 dressed, unsure if true Interstate (but, investigating)

Post by NevsMate » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 am

Found this on another site:

Remove the mirror and it’s plastic gasket from the fairing.
Remove the screw and spring from the back side of the mirror assembly.
Are the threads in the mirror stem stripped out?
If the threads in the mirror have not fully stripped out, then purchase a metric machine screw of the same diameter and pitch as the original screw but several inches long. Also purchase a locknut. Look for a locknut with a low profile if you can. I like the all-metal locknuts for this job, but an elastic insert locknut is ok.
If the threads in the mirror have stripped, then purchase the next size up diameter of machine screw (US imperial size ok) several inches long, and also purchase the locknut to fit it. I think I use 1/4-20 size.
If the threads have stripped out, then drill/tap the mirror to accept the new machine screw that you purchased. I found that if I had purchased the next up imperial size from the metric original that I actually did not have to drill the hole before tapping it. I just ran the imperial tap in it and it was ready to go.
Even if you did or did not tap the threaded hole in the mirror stem, clean the hole with electronics spray or other oil/grease remover, the hole must be clean and dry.
Take the machine screw you are going to use and coat the ends of it’s threads with a metal bonding epoxy. Don't coat the whole screw, just the first 1/4' or so on the end. For this job I really like JB Weld. Run the machine screw into the mirror stem and let the JB Weld cure overnight.
After the JB Weld is fully cured, take a hacksaw or Dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut just the head of the machine screw off. Now, instead of a weak “screw in pot-metal” type connection, you will have a much stronger “stud” that is bonded into the mirror stem.
Place the original spring and and your new locknut onto the stud, and tighten the locknut to achieve a nice firm tension on the mirror.
Use your hacksaw or Dremel tool to cut the remainder of the stud off flush or very close to flush with the locknut.
Hand fit the gasket onto the mirror and the mirror onto the fairing. If the new stud/locknut you installed sticks out a little further than the original screw assembly, then you might have to cut out the center of the gasket. I usually had to cut out the center of the gasket.
Re-install the mirror and you are done.

For the cost of a small machine screw, a locknut, some JB Weld, and maybe a tap if you need it, you will have a mirror that is EXACTLY original in outward appearance and in adjustability, but it will NOT droop, it will be MUCH stronger than the original, and it will NEVER come loose again.

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

Just FWIW, I have a few mirrors for GL1100s with fairing. All can have the valve grinding compound added before purchase. $20 ea. includes postage to USA.
Two have blind spot mirrors attached (tape).

Cosmo

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks NevsMate! :) I'll try that next. Before I could try the valve grind routine, a machinist buddy in eastern US told me all of his extensive tests, like preloading the spring with washers and doing the valve grind compound thing. He saved me a lot of fooling around, though it was disappointing news - especially because it seems EMGO has stopped producing the look-alike copies. I have a large Honda collection with fairings on a GL500, GL500i, CB750C, and one of my CB900Cs. Right now, only one has floppy mirrors but some of these bikes are keepers, so I need a fix. Honda should show a bit more leadership on some of these issues :shock:

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

d9canada wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:00 am
Thanks NevsMate! :) I'll try that next. Before I could try the valve grind routine, a machinist buddy in eastern US told me all of his extensive tests, like preloading the spring with washers and doing the valve grind compound thing. He saved me a lot of fooling around, though it was disappointing news - especially because it seems EMGO has stopped producing the look-alike copies. I have a large Honda collection with fairings on a GL500, GL500i, CB750C, and one of my CB900Cs. Right now, only one has floppy mirrors but some of these bikes are keepers, so I need a fix. Honda should show a bit more leadership on some of these issues :shock:
Honda, leadership? HaHa.

Basically, as soon as a new model comes out the drop all parts for previous models.

BMW supports every bike with every part they ever made.

People whine about the cost but what's worse, the cost or your bike sitting there due to lack of parts.

d9canada
82 CBX six cyl.
02 Sportster 883
64 Suzuki Sovereign MD15

Post by d9canada » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Yeah I agree, but Hondaline stuff was used for a lot of models for some years. But yeah. It's like 83 when they just quit making the CX/GL line, and goodbye for the awesome Turbos, and replace the early DOHCs with new and albeit better motors but with just a little effort they probably could have made the new heads backward compatible. Grrr.. :lol:

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:28 pm

i posted how i repaired my mirrors about a year ago......

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42649