Still having electrical issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Dbett22
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Still having electrical issues

Post by Dbett22 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 am

I have posted here in the past week or so of the problems I am having with my 78 GL1000. I will report my issue and what I have done so far.
I have a 78 GL1000 and I am having electrical issues. It started one day when I was turning a corner using my right turn indicator. I suddenly lost all my lights. After I arrived home and took off the seat I noticed that the electrical wiring going to the back right turn signal was melted. I replaced the wire but still didn't have any turn signals or lights. I then noticed that my turn signal relay was red hot. I replaced it with another one and when I plugged it in, it would start clicking and get red hot again even with the key off. I stripped the wiring case off to see if I had any bare wires touching anything. I didn't so I purchased a used left control switch. Now I my left turn signals work but the right does not. I hear the turn signal clicking. I also do not have any head lights or tail lights. The brake lights work when the pedal is depressed but not when you apply the brake handle. I have carefully looked at the wiring harness best I could and have not found any bare wires. So I am stumped. What am I missing?

Jos59
Motorcycle: Gl 1000 K2 1978 with Squire ST2 sidecar

Re: Still having electrical issues

Post by Jos59 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 am

It seems to me that you have a problem with a connection to your motorcycle fram so to speak mass or ground. With such problems the current wiil always find another way from + to-. Like i told you before, check the whole wiring, clean your connectors incl lamp fittings. A lot of work, but the best option. I would help you, but i think that distance is an issue here. So start at the front and work it true to the taillight.

Dbett22
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by Dbett22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for the offer. I bypassed the headlight switch with a wire to the headlight coming from power wire on bike. So I am thinking the right switch controls are bad even though I took them apart and find no bare wires. Do you think if the switch is bad that would also cause the turn signals not to work ?

Jos59
Motorcycle: Gl 1000 K2 1978 with Squire ST2 sidecar

Post by Jos59 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 am

Sorry to keep you waiting, but i had a short vacation. Every electrical fault where ever in your wiring can effect the working order of it, because every user is connected to the frame ( ground) So often with older bikes, you think you have solved the problem... and than... **** yo have another one. I am talking from experience here because i Always but old bikes, new bikes are no fun and have to much plastic.