At wits end . . . .

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

At wits end . . . .

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 am

Okay, back on June 21st the wife and I took the Wing to Denver Co from our home in OkCity Ok. The route was straight forward , I-35 to I-70 to Denver. Should be no issues, right ? We where pulling our trailer, and fought a fair head wind, but a over all nice day for a ride, or so we thought.

Just shy of Wichita Ks, the bike lost power on me, trying to shut down. I squeezed the clutch in, reved the motor, it sputtered and then reved fine and away we went. I stopped and got fuel there in Wichita, got back on the highway and headed for the next stop, Salina Ks. As we approached Salina, the bike did it again, only this time the motor did shut off, but fired right up when I let the clutch out, so again, off we went. Again, stopped for fuel, got back on the highway and headed for Colby Ks. About 30 miles shy of Colby, the bike again shut down, but this time would not restart, so we pulled off on to the shoulder, I checked a few items, took seat off, tested for fuel by pulling the fuel line at the pump and hitting the starter button, strong fuel shot. While seat was off, felt around for anything excessively how, none found, so I called my GWRRA tow plan and arranged a tow. About 15 min before the tow got there, I tried to start it again, just to see, and it fired right off and went to a smooth idle. As it was now about 10 pm and the tow driver had already confirmed being on his way, I decided to let him tow us in to Colby where we spent the night. The next morning, the bike started fine, so we fueled up and headed for Denver. We got about 30 miles down the road, about 10 miles shy of Goodland Ks, when the bike then shut down for good. We sat on the side of the highway for two hours, no tow available because we used it the day before. Finally two riders stopped to check on us, we could not figure it out either, so they towed us via strap into Goodland and I was able to call a Club Brother with a truck and trailer to rescue us.
The bike has not restarted sense then. I talked to a friend and trusted mechanic here in Okc, he thought maybe the Bank Angle Sensor went bad, he has a good running GL1500, so he took his B.A.S off his bike, I plugged it in to my bike, no go. I even tried my B.A.S on his bike, still started right up, so it APPEARS that is not it, now he is suggesting the CDI might be bad, what are the thoughts here on that ? Any other ideas what to look at/for?
Thanks in advance everyone !

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: At wits end . . . .

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 am

Got spark? Could be the pulse gen was failing and finally went...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am

Even tho you you had good fuel at the seat,it may not be making it to the carbs.
My first suspect is the vacuum fuel valve/vacuum line feeding it.

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 am

The problem sounds fuel related to me based on your description. The fuel valve would be the best place to start. The fuel pump is also still possible if it is intermittent. Definitely check those connections.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

I did check the fuel pump connections again after I got it home, wires all appear good, I also replaced the fuel filter as it was old and dirty (and cheap !) and so far still won’t start.
I have not checked spark yet as it has been hellish hot here and I do not have a garage or covered area to take the body apart and work on it. I will take that next step this weekend though if nothing else works.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Did you try just loosening fuel filler cap. Vent can get blocked leading fuel pump to pump until it can't overcome vacuum … fuel flow stops.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Yep, had that issue before, was first on the list of to check, sorry I forgot to mention it before now. Some times it is the simplest stupid things that cause the biggest issues.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm

1) I would check fuel petcock, or just by pass it and see if it starts and problem is gone.
2) Check the kill switch or the screw connections to the kill switch.
3) Connect fuel pump in a closed loop feeding fuel back into the tank, so that you can run it for an extended period of time to check for any, or intermittent operation. Power directly off of an auto battery. Bike battery isn't big enough.
4) Check side stand switch

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm
1) I would check fuel petcock, or just by pass it and see if it starts and problem is gone.
2) Check the kill switch or the screw connections to the kill switch.
3) Connect fuel pump in a closed loop feeding fuel back into the tank, so that you can run it for an extended period of time to check for any, or intermittent operation. Power directly off of an auto battery. Bike battery isn't big enough.
4) Check side stand switch
That is all I can think of as well. Fuel Petcock being the number one suspect.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am

I did check the fuel pump connections again after I got it home, wires all appear good
Hate to rail on this point, but the smoke came from somewhere, most likely the wires. Some digging and disassembly will likely be required. If not the wires, then an electrical component. The fuel filter for example would not have caused smoke to come from the bike.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am

someone548 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am

Hate to rail on this point, but the smoke came from somewhere, most likely the wires. Some digging and disassembly will likely be required. If not the wires, then an electrical component. The fuel filter for example would not have caused smoke to come from the bike.
He did not mention any smoke. Did you get the smoke angle from a different thread?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am

He did not mention any smoke. Did you get the smoke angle from a different thread?
Woops, wrong thread. Teach me to post before I've had my coffee. Please disregard.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 am

someone548 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am

Woops, wrong thread. Teach me to post before I've had my coffee. Please disregard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is most of the forum laughing "WITH YOU" over this....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:41 pm

someone548 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am
I did check the fuel pump connections again after I got it home, wires all appear good
This was meant for my thread it seems.
These things happen.

I wish the OP luck, I know the feeling bro! Following along here also.

NOVAwing
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:43 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 am
Okay, back on June 21st the wife and I took the Wing to Denver Co from our home in OkCity Ok. The route was straight forward , I-35 to I-70 to Denver. Should be no issues, right ? We where pulling our trailer, and fought a fair head wind, but a over all nice day for a ride, or so we thought.

Just shy of Wichita Ks, the bike lost power on me, trying to shut down. I squeezed the clutch in, reved the motor, it sputtered and then reved fine and away we went. I stopped and got fuel there in Wichita, got back on the highway and headed for the next stop, Salina Ks. As we approached Salina, the bike did it again, only this time the motor did shut off, but fired right up when I let the clutch out, so again, off we went. Again, stopped for fuel, got back on the highway and headed for Colby Ks. About 30 miles shy of Colby, the bike again shut down, but this time would not restart, so we pulled off on to the shoulder, I checked a few items, took seat off, tested for fuel by pulling the fuel line at the pump and hitting the starter button, strong fuel shot. While seat was off, felt around for anything excessively how, none found, so I called my GWRRA tow plan and arranged a tow. About 15 min before the tow got there, I tried to start it again, just to see, and it fired right off and went to a smooth idle. As it was now about 10 pm and the tow driver had already confirmed being on his way, I decided to let him tow us in to Colby where we spent the night. The next morning, the bike started fine, so we fueled up and headed for Denver. We got about 30 miles down the road, about 10 miles shy of Goodland Ks, when the bike then shut down for good. We sat on the side of the highway for two hours, no tow available because we used it the day before. Finally two riders stopped to check on us, we could not figure it out either, so they towed us via strap into Goodland and I was able to call a Club Brother with a truck and trailer to rescue us.
The bike has not restarted sense then. I talked to a friend and trusted mechanic here in Okc, he thought maybe the Bank Angle Sensor went bad, he has a good running GL1500, so he took his B.A.S off his bike, I plugged it in to my bike, no go. I even tried my B.A.S on his bike, still started right up, so it APPEARS that is not it, now he is suggesting the CDI might be bad, what are the thoughts here on that ? Any other ideas what to look at/for?
Thanks in advance everyone !
This looks fairly similar to what I just went through. A week of no riding to find the issue was a 5 min repair of the kill switch wires!

Mine had come loose, then I find the kill switch is worn out, so I hot wired the 2 wires together. Ignition is now all done by the key.

Have you opened and checked your kill switch?

Worth looking into for sure!

Good luck,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm

I am out with the wife for a late supper right now, but will check the kill switch when I get home tonight or first thing in the AM as that is a easy check.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

Post by woodsv » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm

just curious...did you check the kill switch after?

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 pm

No I have not yet, got sick for a few days, then with no shade to work under, and it being in the upper 90s most days, just have not been motivated to get out side to work on it.... not having a shade tree, carport, or garage to work in SUCKS ! LOL
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 pm
not having a shade tree, carport, or garage to work in SUCKS ! LOL
That's where one of those $69 Harbor Freight pop-up canopies are your friend, Useful for other things too...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 pm

That’s a thought . . . . .
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Okay, cooled off some here, so I tested the kill switch, as far as in the RUN position it cranks like it is supposed to, in the OFF position, it does not crank. Is that enough of a test ? If not, how do I go deeper ?
Next, how do I test the side stand switch ?
Thanks all
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 pm
Okay, cooled off some here, so I tested the kill switch, as far as in the RUN position it cranks like it is supposed to, in the OFF position, it does not crank. Is that enough of a test ? If not, how do I go deeper ?
Next, how do I test the side stand switch ?
Thanks all
Is this a '96 you are working on? I thought it was not until '98 that the kill switch would prevent starting with the switch in the OFF position. Maybe I'm mistaken.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 am

Yes, a 96 Aspencade. It has always, sense I got it, not cranked in the OFF position, so I assumed that was normal for the ‘Wing. . . . ?
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm

When I had my 96 it would act in a similar fashion sometimes.
IF you had less than a 1/2 tank of fuel when this happened -
And it was hot or the engine was hot -
I suspect the fuel pump is weak -
The 1500 will keep feeding fuel while the tank is 1/2 or above via gravity - after that the next 1/2 of the tank needs the fuel pump assist.
This is where it gets in trouble -
The fuel is also a coolant for the pump as it is submerged inside the tank-
The heat combined with the low fuel and adding elevation causes the pump to get too warm-
and it weakens the pumps ability to move fuel at high speeds sufficient enough to keep it running-
You stop -- the pump catches up - or you add cooling fuel and above the 1/2 way mark -- works fine --
until the situation repeats.
The fuel pump test requires you are able to pump fuel 3 feet above the tank filler at a specified volume over specific time.
Many just watch the fuel come out and think it is working fine -- not necessarily so --
If you decide to replace the pump -- be sure to have a very low fuel amount before you open the hatch -- the tank is above that level when it is 1/2 or more full. Order the new gasket as well to assure yourself of a good seal --

Test it first - but if the coditions are :
Less than 1/2 full
Hot or elevation or running hard and the bike sputters and dies
Only to restart once cooled off for a very short time or when adding fuel --

I think fuel pump from my experience with my '96
Best wishes
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks for that, it was hot and tank low two of the times, full-ish, 50 miles driven at 20 mpg due to winds that trip , the third time, and I do need to check battery level after all the attempts to start it with no luck.

Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain