1991 gl1500 bad spark plug wire boots

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tomlibby40
Motorcycle: 1991 honda gl1500 interstate aniversarry edition

1991 gl1500 bad spark plug wire boots

Post by tomlibby40 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm

hello,i just aquired a 91 gl1500 aniversary edition goldwing with 42k miles.It was on road last year but needed the fuel joint set replaced wich i did.when i got it fired up it has a antifreeze leak under bottom of carbs.I think someone before me screwed up the heater thats on the bottom of carbs. Also has a off and on knock like noise in mid motor or somewhere and doesnt like to throttle up like its missing real badly..I pulled off one of the plug wires on the left back side of head if sittn on bike and it about fell apart.Atleast 4 of them look like that,all hard and brittle,.some broken so bad they hardly hold onto plug.They ones broken the worst have alot of corosion down in plug area.Would it be shooting spark out to heads and making the spark knock noise??where can i get just boot ends and a used heater for bottom of carbs?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: 1991 gl1500 bad spark plug wire boots

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 am

I'm not sure there IS a "heater" under the carbs. Thats news to me, and I have the twin to your bike. Take a minute or two and search the fiche files on Partzilla, or Babbitts, or any of the other "parts house" sites for the '91 Interstate, and check out the carb assembly section. I don't see a heater there, and haven't heard of one.

A full set of plug wires with new rubber boots is your best bet for replacing those old brittle ones. Check the parts house sites or eBay for a reasonable price. If the plug boots are in such bad shape, it is reasonable to think the wires are brittle and cracked too. They could arc and cause the symptom you describe. I'll bet new wires/boots will solve the issue there.

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you for your respose.There is a heat exhanger under the carb and its attached to the carb by 4 phillips screws.Im not sure im calling it what its supposed to be called but it even shows it in the repair manuals.When taking the carbs on and off ,the two hard coolant pipes that are such a bitch to hook up on the front of the carbs,feed the exhanger.I think im just gonna make up a bypass hose and bypass the carb heat exhanger.That way i dont have to take carbs off again just to make sure thats where the leak is coming from.When i reved it up i could even see anti freeze by where the bottom of carbs tubes fit into the boots on intake so im pretty damn sure thats where leak is.
Ive heard doing the plug wires and boots can be a total pain because theres so many things to work around.I got the bike as a barter deal for doing a headgasket replacement on a 2009 chevy equinox and now im just trying to get running so i can sell it and re-coupe my money on labor.Im only gonna be asking 1000.00 for it so dont want to drop a buncha money into it to turn around and sell.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 am

The coolant circuit that runs into the carb heater is used to heat the carburetors to prevent carburetor icing and ensure proper fuel vaporization at certain temperatures. It has a thermostatic valve that shuts the coolant flow down after it gets to a certain temperature, as it is assumed that engine heat alone will keep things warm enough.

The heater itself should not leak (in fact I've never heard of one leaking). However, what DOES leak, usually after carbs have been removed/replaced, is the hose-to-barb fitting. Basically, the hoses aren't tight enough to the carburetor, and you get a leak. I'd recommend stronger clamps to stop that nuisance leak.

I would not recommend just removing it - you'll find the bike runs very poorly (or not at all) when cold at certain temperatures and humidity.

The coolant hoses are pointed to by the green arrows here - see the same piss-poor spring clamps Honda uses on all their hoses. Chuck those and replace them and the problem will go away.

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am

Well,I took the carbs back off and im 99%sure the leak is from the heat exhanger not the tubing clamps as when it was running i saw no fluid by where the hose clamps are just directly under left rear part of left carb.Well apon inspection ,it looks like the guy i dropped off the carbs to for cleaning doinked me hard.They overtightened the left corner screw that holds exhanger to carb and cracked the housing.Sucks because i cant be sure now thats the spot when its off the bike.I should have tried a bypass line and saw if leak stopped.I cant see it causing any issues or problems with exhanger bypassed other than slow warm up.Im thinking thats what i gona do know is install a bypass,Wrestle the carbs back on and try it.if no leak i know 100% thats where leak is.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 pm

tomlibby40 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am
Well,I took the carbs back off and im 99%sure the leak is from the heat exhanger not the tubing clamps as when it was running i saw no fluid by where the hose clamps are just directly under left rear part of left carb.Well apon inspection ,it looks like the guy i dropped off the carbs to for cleaning doinked me hard.They overtightened the left corner screw that holds exhanger to carb and cracked the housing.Sucks because i cant be sure now thats the spot when its off the bike.I should have tried a bypass line and saw if leak stopped.I cant see it causing any issues or problems with exhanger bypassed other than slow warm up.Im thinking thats what i gona do know is install a bypass,Wrestle the carbs back on and try it.if no leak i know 100% thats where leak is.
Ah nuts, that's not great news. Is it anything that maybe some J-B Weld could fix?

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Not sure im working on trying to bypass it,just keeps the carbs from freezing up but who runs gas with water in it anyway.It will just take a tad longer to warm up.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:14 pm

tomlibby40 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am
Well,I took the carbs back off and im 99%sure the leak is from the heat exhanger not the tubing clamps as when it was running i saw no fluid by where the hose clamps are just directly under left rear part of left carb.Well apon inspection ,it looks like the guy i dropped off the carbs to for cleaning doinked me hard.They overtightened the left corner screw that holds exhanger to carb and cracked the housing.
I hope that he deleted the charge for working on them??
I would be just a bit miffed at that, and not inclined to pay him :x
~John

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 pm

I am but i try to look forward not backward.It wasnt a reputable buisness and i leave it at that

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm

tomlibby40 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm
Not sure im working on trying to bypass it,just keeps the carbs from freezing up but who runs gas with water in it anyway.It will just take a tad longer to warm up.
Water in the gas is not the problem. Carb icing has nothing to do with water in the fuel.

When air flows from the outside into the carburetor, it passes through a restriction, called a venturi. In order to get the air through that restriction, the air has to speed up. As a side effect of the air speeding up, the pressure drops - this is known as the Bernoulli principle. This lowered pressure is used to suck the fuel out of the float chamber through the jets, and mix it with the air.

This is the basic principle upon which EVERY carburetor works.

Two more things also happen, however. Another side effect of the lowered pressure is lowered temperature - so the air is cooled, significantly. On top of this, the fuel is being atomized and evaporates into the airstream. Evaporation requires heat to occur, so this sucks even more heat out of the air, which lowers its temperature even further.

If there is sufficient moisture in the air, and the ambient temperature is right, the moisture can actually condense and FREEZE in the carburetor, lining the carburetor walls and binding up the slides. You end up with a nonfunctional carburetor, choked with ice. This can happen when it is 70-75 degrees F outside, if the humidity is correct.

THIS is why Honda put a coolant system in the carburetors, to keep them at a temperature to prevent this from happening.

Incidentally, piston-engined airplanes also have carburetor heat controls, that inject hot air into the intake, to stop this from happening. As you can imagine, having your engine quit because the carburetor is choked with ice is a bad thing on an airplane. :)

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm

thanks for the science lesson and i worked for enron power corp for 9 yrs as a gas turbine power plant operator/mechanic,6 yrs with florida power and light in gas turbine power plant and 7 yrs with calpine power as gas turbine plant manager.So yup i understand the entire concept of icing but im not worried much about it on a motorcycle riding it in maine for 2 maybe 3 months before garage it for cold weather.Its not a gas turbine or jet engine.the exhanger is just over engineering for this type of water cooled engine.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 am

tomlibby40 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm
thanks for the science lesson and i worked for enron power corp for 9 yrs as a gas turbine power plant operator/mechanic,6 yrs with florida power and light in gas turbine power plant and 7 yrs with calpine power as gas turbine plant manager.So yup i understand the entire concept of icing but im not worried much about it on a motorcycle riding it in maine for 2 maybe 3 months before garage it for cold weather.Its not a gas turbine or jet engine.the exhanger is just over engineering for this type of water cooled engine.
The site owner takes considerable time and effort to reply in detail to your post, and offer an education to everyone that participates in these forums, and you act like a know-it-all ****, thanking him for the science lesson, and bragging about your engineering prowess!!!

TBH, if I were the site owner, I'd delete your posts and your account: You come on here asking for advice, then bite the hand that feeds.

Obviously mother honda thought that carb-icing was a significant enough issue to make the heat exchanger standard, not just on models destined for cold climates. Then along comes Mr know-better-than-the-designer, because he's worked on a few industrial gas turbines.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Firstly, What the hell does a multi megawatt, statically installed industrial gas turbine have to do with a 100hp, small vehicle piston engine? ...oh yes... Not a lot really!!!!!

Secondly, grow some humility!
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 am

I'd think one could find some hosing that fits the coolant connections from Auto supply and figure a way to put some water pressure in the heat exchanger with a garden hose WITHOUT putting the unit in the bike.

That way the source of leak might be identified and a method devised to seal it....
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 am

Sadanorakman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 am
tomlibby40 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm
The site owner takes considerable time and effort to reply in detail to your post, and offer an education to everyone that participates in these forums, and you act like a know-it-all ****, thanking him for the science lesson, and bragging about your engineering prowess!!!

TBH, if I were the site owner, I'd delete your posts and your account: You come on here asking for advice, then bite the hand that feeds.

Obviously mother honda thought that carb-icing was a significant enough issue to make the heat exchanger standard, not just on models destined for cold climates. Then along comes Mr know-better-than-the-designer, because he's worked on a few industrial gas turbines.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Firstly, What the hell does a multi megawatt, statically installed industrial gas turbine have to do with a 100hp, small vehicle piston engine? ...oh yes... Not a lot really!!!!!

Secondly, grow some humility!
First off i was really thanking him for his lengthy advise.Also i was simply stating that i knew the theory he was talking about.I am here for help not insults and i appreciate if you keep it that way.Have a nice day sir.

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am

Well to me, and I'd bet plenty of others too, your post reads as starting with sarcasm: 'thanks for the science lesson,'

...followed by selflessly letting us all know how very very very experienced you are.

...followed by rubbishing the design decisions of a team of incredibly intelligent, highly qualified, and experienced vehicle/engine design engineers.

You're obviously so mechanically experienced, that you didn't really need to come here asking questions in the first place. It's such a shame mother honda didn't approach you ti design the bike for them... They really missed a golden opportunity there!

Go bypass your carb heater, and then bodge anything else you also see fit to before you palm the bike off on some poor buyer. I'm glad I won't be the unsuspecting guy buying the bike from you once you've finished 'fixing' it!

tomlibby40

Post by tomlibby40 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry it seemed as you describe it but wasnt intended to be taken that way.Anyways,thanks to those who gave thier advice and i will be canceling my subscription.Didnt come here for anything but help and usually find good familly on these forums but theres allways one.peace to all and ride on

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:05 am

tomlibby40 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm
Sorry it seemed as you describe it but wasnt intended to be taken that way.Anyways,thanks to those who gave thier advice and i will be canceling my subscription.Didnt come here for anything but help and usually find good familly on these forums but theres allways one.peace to all and ride on
It may sound like I went off short triggered and a bit harsh on your, but I was offended by the post you'd written and also your general lack of etiquette prior to that!

Yes I appear to be the 'one' as you say.
...the one who is willing to call it as it seems. Of course it couldn't have been your behaviour that triggered the backlash could it? I guess ignorance is bliss as they say!

Yes it IS a very friendly forum on here, and members bend over backward to help and assist others. Wingadmin is an absolutely fantastic guy and gives over countless hours to building, hosting and supporting this forum and it's community. I understand that at times it also costs him out of his own pocket to do so.

I'm a mere baby on here with only 16 months membership and 130 posts; others have thousands of posts, and have been active here for years.

What I noticed was you'd basically registered an account to jump in and just ask about your plug leads. There's actually a 'welcome' thread that's pretty hard to miss if you had been browsing the forums for a while prior to registering: It invites new members to drop in and say hello to the community.
It would have been nice if you'd have taken the opportunity to use that before getting down to business.

You already know much of what else got my back up, but something that may have been less obvious to others maybe: You'd stipulated in your second post that you'd acquired the bike in return for a job you'd done, and was fixing it to sell it on. Then five minutes later you're talking about bodging a repair to bypass the carb heater as part of that work; now this does get my goat!

It's fair enough in my book for someone to Jerry-rig a repair when it's their own every day rider and they are keeping it. I also understand if people don't have the funds to effect repairs and have to do stuff out of necessity. When however someone is buying a bike to flip it for a profit, and bodging those repairs to do so... Well I'm sorry but I have no time for that, and give short shrift.

Perhaps it would be different if you were genuinely interested in goldwings, and intended to become an active member here, but your posts told me otherwise.

Instead of deleting your account, Why don't you keep the bike, fix it properly, and come be a valued member here?

Ok, I'm all done.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:07 am

Well said Sadanorak. That is pretty much exactly how I saw(see) it.