Doug's Winter Maintenance Begins

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Re: Doug's Winter Maintenance Begins

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:13 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am
Hi Doug,

I agree. It looks to me like someone used standard, non-Moly grease on your shaft splines.

Your "spider" however looks like it had Moly on it. That's what I would expect to see when it is pulled off. The carrier grease in the moly paste does tend to work its way out and get flung out concentrically like you see there, but the molybdenum stays as a very thin layer between the actual spline teeth. That's why you can't use regular grease - the grease gets flung out leaving nothing left to lubricate the splines. The moly is specifically used for situations like this, where grease would otherwise get squeezed out.
Thanks for the info. :D

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Howdy folks!

Saturday the 16th of February was a somewhat productive day for me, but it also exposed some additional problems with the '94 1500SE. First things first, I finished changing out the gear oil in the final drive, I had drained it some time ago but never added new gear oil. I also changed out the old oil in the rear air shock with some high quality ATF and replaced the torn boot with a Monroe Shock-Mate Absorber Bellows Part number SA1997 for $10.99. If you are out visiting autoparts stores trying to find this one save your time and go directly to an O'Reilly Auto parts store, nobody else carries them in the store. They may be available on-line, but not sure if you are going to get free shipping on a $11 part. The boot is a little long but all you need to do is cut a few inches off the top and all is good.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled off the rear wheel so I could lube up the drive splines and noticed the rear brakes didn't look so good. Since I was going to need to order a replacement set of pads I decided to pull the front brakes and examine them as well. It's a good thing I did because they are bad as well. After examining the brakes it looks like a caliper re-build is in order for all three brakes, unless someone else has a good reason why every set of brakes would wear on an angle.

Onto the web I go directly to a place that is quickly becoming my favorite Goldwing parts site, www.cyclemax.com. $160 later I have 3 new sets of brake pads and three caliper re-build kits in my shopping cart. Before finalizing the order I looked around their site and saw a blurb about free shipping on orders over $199. I was a little short so I convinced the wife now was a good time to splurge on new LED lights. I added Headlights, Positioning Lights, and Cornering Lights to the order and definitely hit the limit for free shipping. :D
Attachments

just a little bit below 4 ounces so it was a little low
just a little bit below 4 ounces so it was a little low

looks like old coffee
looks like old coffee

New boot cover installed
New boot cover installed

rear brakes
rear brakes

Front left brakes
Front left brakes

Front left brakes, possibly coated with old brake fluid.
Front left brakes, possibly coated with old brake fluid.

Front right brakes
Front right brakes

Front right brakes
Front right brakes

This front tire might be a good candidate for some balancing beads.  That's 1.25 ounces for those of you playing at home
This front tire might be a good candidate for some balancing beads. That's 1.25 ounces for those of you playing at home

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Well it feels like I fell of the face of the earth. Back on Feb 21st the company i work for moved locations and this process has been a cluster. The building wasn't ready, not all equipment was functional and the guy with the plan didn't take advice and as things piled up instead of slowing things down he doubled up and made things worse.

Now it's time to get some posts in so I have a chance at the contest.

Right after I pulled the brakes I placed in order for the caliper rebuild kits, brake pads, and some LED lights. They all came in quickly and sat a round for week as I counted inventory. Yep all I could do was look at them too! :lol:
Attachments

Front lights, positioning lights, and cornering lights.
Front lights, positioning lights, and cornering lights.

Rebuild kits for all three brakes
Rebuild kits for all three brakes

and the brake pads.
and the brake pads.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm

After a week of counting inventory I took off Sunday March 3rd and had a few hours available to work on the headlights. I'll wait till the weather is warmer and dark to get a proper adjustment on the lights.
Attachments

old lights - low beam
old lights - low beam

old lights - high beams
old lights - high beams

LED - low beams
LED - low beams

LED - high beams
LED - high beams

my chrome has an eagle? with lights so had to hold it up out of the way
my chrome has an eagle? with lights so had to hold it up out of the way

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Sunday March 10th was brakes weekend. My son replaced the brakes on a friends car and then we re-built the calipers and bled the clutch and brake lines. The fluid for the clutch looked decent, the brakes were a different story. A lot of peanut butter in the calipers, and the fluid in the rear master cylinder was a nice dark yellow. I didn't get any pictures of that but at least the pistons looked good. Just a little 2000 grit sandpaper and they were good to go.

Hopefully the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd I can get all the pieces back together and have a motorcycle to ride.
Attachments

Front right before cleaning
Front right before cleaning

front right after cleaning/polishing
front right after cleaning/polishing

front while in the process of cleaning
front while in the process of cleaning

rear pistons after polishing
rear pistons after polishing

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Well life got in the way again. Good plans gone awry as it was time to swap out the refrigerator in the garage with the old one from the house. As some of you may have been able to ascertain from previous pictures my garage is crowded. So a nice simple project became an 8 hour ordeal as it included emptying and moving out storage shelves, a storage cabinet and then moving out the old fridge. After the old, old fridge was moved out and the "new" old one was hauled into the garage it was time to install new shelving units and reload with all the stuff from the old shelves/cabinets.

I did manage to get the pillion step cover assemblies replaced, drop the trunk back into place and get the mufflers all hooked up over the weekend. This of course took place after a frantic search for the rear crash bar bolts because I didn't put them in a marked Ziploc baggie. I was confident the two bolts and nuts I had in hand were to attach the mufflers to the saddlebag frame. Well after scrounging two bolts from the front engine guard bag of bolts we got the trunk back in place and worked on the pillion step cover assemblies. These are a pain in the butt and I'm sure I missed the nice and easy "how-to" write up but at least I got them done.

Sunday it was time to get the mufflers hooked up to frame and start to put the rest of the plastic back on, didn't get as far as intended. Took a bit of finagling to get the mufflers hook up, alignment on one side was off a bit so needed to loosen some things up to get it installed. Oh the two bolts I thought were for the mufflers weren't for the mufflers, those were indeed the two bolts for the rear crash bars. Since my bike has a trailer hitch I couldn't get the bolts holding the mufflers in place out and forgot I left them in place. Now the two nuts referenced earlier were indeed the nuts to hold the mufflers in place.

Now it's time to get re-acquainted with the how did I pull the bike apart so I can reassemble correctly.

At least the weather is still hit or miss in Chicago and I'm not missing much riding time.
Attachments

From this ...
From this ...

... to this!  What a difference.
... to this! What a difference.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

After an exciting weekend of playing with the granddaughter it was time to get back to work on putting the 'Wing back together. As some of you followed in another post I was having issues with the shifter pivot brace. Thanks to Rockport Dave and wingdings for straightening me out and now I have the gear shift arm installed properly which allowed me to correctly install the shifter pivot brace.

Last night started to put the plastic back on and I do have one question - How in the world do you get the center screw installed for the under cover? Try as I might I couldn't get enough pressure on the cover to get the screw set, for now I just have the left and right screw installed. Is it primarily due to the fact I'm working in a 40 degree garage and need a little heat to allow the cover to flex a little more?

Thanks - Doug
Attachments

Original gear shift arm position
Original gear shift arm position

Original front view of the brace
Original front view of the brace

Original side view of the brace
Original side view of the brace

After rotating the gear shift pivot clockwise a couple of splines
After rotating the gear shift pivot clockwise a couple of splines

Gratuitous picture of our first granddaughter (almost 2 yrs old)
Gratuitous picture of our first granddaughter (almost 2 yrs old)

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 pm

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am
After an exciting weekend of playing with the granddaughter it was time to get back to work on putting the 'Wing back together. As some of you followed in another post I was having issues with the shifter pivot brace. Thanks to Rockport Dave and wingdings for straightening me out and now I have the gear shift arm installed properly which allowed me to correctly install the shifter pivot brace.

Last night started to put the plastic back on and I do have one question - How in the world do you get the center screw installed for the under cover? Try as I might I couldn't get enough pressure on the cover to get the screw set, for now I just have the left and right screw installed. Is it primarily due to the fact I'm working in a 40 degree garage and need a little heat to allow the cover to flex a little more?

Thanks - Doug
I usually put that one in first, and use it to hold the under cover in place while I put the other two screws in. I've never had a problem with it.

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks - Doug
I usually put that one in first, and use it to hold the under cover in place while I put the other two screws in. I've never had a problem with it.
But you're an expert, I'm an inexperienced and mechanically challenged.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm

A great big thank you to everyone in this forum for all of the help provided to me while I embarked on my very first ever winter maintenance of a 1994 1500SE. As I have mentioned numerous times I am mechanically challenged. I took on this endeavor because of the very detailed "How-To" section with all of the step by step pictures and directions and the various tips and the help provided by members to other members. I have learned so much and will do my best to pass on whatever knowledge I have been able to retain.

As of April 7, 2019 I put the last of the plastic back on and took her for a test ride. Needed to make sure the clutch and brakes were fully functional since I replaced the shifter shaft seal, installed the pivot brace and re-built all of the brake calipers. She ran perfectly :!: Now all I need to do is add the new seat. With that being said, I am saying this project is over!! Just in time because I think the weather in Chicagoland is making a turn for the better.

Yes I have been riding the little one for the last two weeks but yesterday morning is the first morning I didn't need all of the cold weather riding gear I own because it was 55 instead of 35.

Now it's time to fix up the little guy, I need to change out the Cam-Chain tensionors and cleaning of the turn signal switches.

Thank you!!!! :D 8-)
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan