rear tire imbalance

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

rear tire imbalance

Post by fibersport » Tue May 14, 2019 6:08 am

I mounted a new set of Kenda's a little while ago, with the cold weather not wanting to leave, I've not had a chance to ride at all. I did take it out for a short ride a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I felt a vibration starting around 45 mph. I put 2 ounces of beads in the tire and made sure I aligned the colored dot with the valve stem. I should also say that the tire has two colored dots, I think one red and the other yellow. The front tire has only one, I aligned the dots of the same color with the valve stem for both tires. Last night I started the bike and put it in maybe 3rd or 4th while on the center stand and it ran smooth until I got up to about 2000 rpm which would probably be close to 45 mph and noticed the vibration came back, slower speeds had no vibration. I'm thinking that I need to rotate the tire to either the other colored dot or 180 degrees from where it's at right now. Any tire experts out there that have has a similar situation and is 2 ounces enough weight for the beads? I checked the Dynabead site and I think that's their recommendation for this size tire.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: rear tire imbalance

Post by bellboy40 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 am

Two ounces of the beads should be enough to balance it. That is what I put in mine and it is smooth as silk. It does sound like you have an unbalance problem with the tire though. Is the tire seated properly all the way around the rim?

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 am

I think I misspoke on the amount of beads I have in my rear tire. I have 2 oz in front tire and 3 oz in the rear tire. It is possible you don't have enough beads in the tire. You could put some more beads in there and see if it fixes your imbalance. Having a few more than needed to balance the tire won't hurt anything.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

Same as Bellboy: 2 oz in front, 3 oz in rear... Depending how for off balance the tire is 2 oz may not be enough!

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

I've been thinking what would be the easiest and what steps would be the most logical in solving this. Taking it somewhere would of course be the easiest but not the cheapest so here are my thoughts:

1. check to make sure the tire is fully seated, and verify that the tire is not out of round
2. add more beads
3. remove the beads and try it
3. rotate the tire to align the other dot
4. add the beads back (2 oz.)
5. add more beads (2+ oz.)
6. take it somewhere to have it balanced

Checking the tire is quick and easy, adding the beads is a pain but not too bad. Removing requires breaking the bead and a vacuum which might be able to be done on the bike, rotating it of course involves wheel removal. All this just in time of the weather getting nicer too.

Honestly I seem to have the worst luck with all sorts of tires and balancing, I'm fighting a wiggle in my car that comes and goes with cold temperatures which might be just a flat spot on the tire and my wife's SUV started having a slight vibration recently as well. Sometimes you just can't win.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:55 pm

That looks like a good plan of action. I wish you the best of luck in getting the vibration out of your bike.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm

I balance mine first then add beads to maintain the balance. I'd pull the tire break it down to remove the beads and start over. I've been off a couple of inches with the reference mark in the past but the tire still balanced out, but if you have it down that far might as well get it right. Does the vibration go away at higher speed or constant from 45 up.

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks for the well wishes and comments. I just did a real quick check on the tire being seated and it looks like it's all OK. I looked for the other colored dot and couldn't find it, maybe it was on the front or it was just too dark in the garage. I put it in gear and just let it idle, I did notice a slight flat spot on the tread just a little forward of the valve stem, without measuring it I would say it's maybe a sixteenth or so, not very much but enough that you could see it. My question now is how much of a flat spot is normal for a new tire? When I get more time, I'll get an accurate measurement and check the rim as well.

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Well it's been about a month or so and here's what I've done. I pumped the air pressure up to 40 which is the max for the tire and still had the vibration starting at 40-45 mnph, at 70 it was real noticeable. I rode to work a few times which is 30 miles each way with no change. I decided to pull the tire and rotate on the rim. I put masking tape all around the tire, started the bike and put it in gear, with a marker I was able to indicate the flat spot by not having any marker at that location. I added two more lengths of tape on either side and did the same thing, I noticed that the flat spot was sort of off to one side. I then rotated the tire 90 degrees, reinflated and checked it again - the flat spot followed the tire. I decided to rotate the tire another 90 degrees so now it's 180 from original and once again the flat spot followed the tire. This all told me that the rim is good. I was going to ride on it again but after installing it on the bike, I noticed that the tire also had runout on the left sidewall too. At that point, I pulled it off the rim and have sent it back to Dennis Kirk. One thing I will say is that the flat spot and lateral runout are in the same location, which so happens to be right around the yellow dot that should be aligned with the valve stem. We'll see what Dennis Kirk says as I just shipped it yesterday. Hopefully a new tire will be on the way soon, but with this crummy weather it really doesn't make much difference!

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 am

I am keeping an eye on this thread. I just bought a new set of Kenda tires from Dennis Kirk as well. Only had the rear mounted so far need to get the front mounted and then some ride time. Hopefully all goes well. Let us know how Dennis Kirk treats you, their price was by far the best on those tires that I found.
Attachments

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:20 pm

I shipped the tire out on Tuesday and I just got notification this afternoon that my "order was shipped". I can only assume that they shipped me a new tire, I didn't receive any other communication. In my opinion, they treated me very well. I can only hope that the replacement tire doesn't have any issues. Will be reporting as the saga continues.

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:19 pm

I received my new tire from Dennis Kirk on Monday, only had time to mount it. I picked up a tire balancer from Harbor Freight figuring I would try traditional balancing first. The replacement tire spins true, I think there is maybe 1/16" radial runout. I installed the tire with the yellow dot at the valve stem and set it on the balancer, I found that it was going to take 3+ ounces to balance. I decided to rotate the tire 180 degrees, it balance at about 2-1/4 ounces with another 1/4 ounce about 120 degrees away. I still feel it's a bit excessive but since the heavy spot was always with the valve stem at 6 o'clock, I'm thinking it's the rim that is trowing things off. I left it as is and went for a ride, it's much better than before. I do notice that the tires seem to ride a little hard, but then the bike is almost 30 years old, I'm sure it could use some new springs up front. I would like to remove the beads from the front tire and balance it with weights as well but that's for later in the season. Overall I'm satisfied with the tires and very pleased with Dennis Kirk and how they handled the return.

Bigsteveswing - how do you feel about them?

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:18 pm

I just got the front tire mounted on the wheel today. Will hopefully get it on the bike this weekend. It's been slow going, my wife's car took a dump and just trying to get it straightened out. I will be setting up the sidecar rig so my riding experience maybe quite different from yours. I also had the tires mounted at a local shop and they used weights not beads, so I guess time will tell. I will update once I am on the road.