traffic light stop/wait/go best practice?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
chunk
Motorcycle: '95 bmw r100r M, '77 yamaha xt500, '81 honda gl 1100I

Re: traffic light stop/wait/go best practice?

Post by chunk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am

For me, right, foot down, in neutral. I stop several feet back from the car in front and line up on the outside of that car. It gives me a clear path ahead if need be and if a cage does not stop they will rear end the car, not me. I also watch the traffic coming up from behind, and if they are coming a bit fast for my comfort i split the lane ahead. I know it sounds complicated maybe, but after more than 50 motorcycles, 40 plus years of riding on the Southern California roads, I'm still here and have had 2 or 3 close calls, but never an accident. I know safety schools preach staying in gear but I think that puts undue stress on the clutch and TO bearing, and can be uncomfortable at long lights as well. Mostly it comes down to not being complacent, i remind myself of that before every ride and dress appropriately, if even just the 2 miles to the quickie mart. Stay safe, cheers chunk.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 am

I have been pleasantly surprised, after moving from a relatively small suburb in Ohio to near Chicago, how many drivers behind me stay further back when they stop than normal. In a "fight for every inch of available space" when on 4 wheels, it is good to see this courtesy for us 2-wheelers ;)

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am

Still can't get away from the fact, I'm short, 71 years old, not got the muscles I used to have and somtimes put you foot down and there aint no ground there, in a split second you've dropped the beast. :oops:
The latest with me is now strained a muscle in my shoulder, so riding the wing is out with me, I was just about to advertise it on Ebay when I came across TOWPAC INSTATRIKE, so this is what I've decided to do as there's no stigma riding a trike with me, as I already have that piece of junk called a Can Am Spyder.

Anyone know of a used Instatrike anywhere I'd be grateful. I could buy a new one but getting it delivered to France without paying a pile of taxes is the problem. :cry:

SO anyone hears of an instatrike kit going, let me know. :roll:

I'd wrather have a triked wing than no wing at all.

Thanks for all your input and replies to my questions and Instatrike willing I'll still be with this website :D

chunk
Motorcycle: '95 bmw r100r M, '77 yamaha xt500, '81 honda gl 1100I

Post by chunk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 pm

agedbikeman wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am
Still can't get away from the fact, I'm short, 71 years old, not got the muscles I used to have and somtimes put you foot down and there aint no ground there, in a split second you've dropped the beast. :oops:
The latest with me is now strained a muscle in my shoulder, so riding the wing is out with me, I was just about to advertise it on Ebay when I came across TOWPAC INSTATRIKE, so this is what I've decided to do as there's no stigma riding a trike with me, as I already have that piece of junk called a Can Am Spyder.

Anyone know of a used Instatrike anywhere I'd be grateful. I could buy a new one but getting it delivered to France without paying a pile of taxes is the problem. :cry:

SO anyone hears of an instatrike kit going, let me know. :roll:

I'd wrather have a triked wing than no wing at all.

Thanks for all your input and replies to my questions and Instatrike willing I'll still be with this website :D

I wonder if you've considered attaching a sidecar to the wing? Might be technically easier, and thusly cheaper, I 'm just wondering out loud. My dad grew up in WWII time England and because of costs and petrol prices always road himself, my mom, and dog around in a Rudge with a sidecar. I'm not too far behind you in age and have already decided to do a sidecar rig when the time comes and I think 2 wheels aren't an option anymore. cheers from California.

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Had sidecar rigs when I was younger, I'm now a convinced triker, anyway, try buying a sidecar in France, fat chance

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm
hondapotamus wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:29 am
One last thing - the second your bike is moving your left foot is back on the foot peg. This is your best balance position. I constantly see people move off from a stop with one leg hanging out, presumably for balance - sometimes all the way through the intersection. That much weight off to the side actually works against balance and you also have the risk of your foot getting caught on something and throwing you off line or worse, off the bike. "GET YOUR FEET UP!" (I've been known to yell that at students :P ) and say it to myself when I see others doing it.
Yup. A clear sign of an inexperienced rider (and pretty much universal amongst the Harley riders around here) - feet come down and dangle for the last 20-30 feet before coming to a stop, and then dangle for another 20-30 feet when they start off again.

My feet are on the pegs pretty much anytime the wheels are moving.
I think it is a HD trait since everybody wants to look cool with Forward Controls- you are already unbalanced with your feet out front! - IMHO- and I don't ride a HD..I stop (97 GW Aspencade Trike) no need for the which foot to put down- in neutral-at multi-lane and left turn lane(s) intersections, I watch the traffic lights, when the cross traffic goes yellow, I drop into 1st gear- arthritis hurts squeezing the clutch after several minutes. small intersections, stay in gear. I don't get to stay in one tire track or the other so I try to put the drive tire IN a clean tire track, always scanning for someone about to run the light from any direction, and especially from behind me. ok- you have the green-ready to go- checked the intersection- moving out-straight still watching for on coming traffic to turn in front of me, still ready to move. Turning left? oookay- that's why we prefer intersections with left turn signals! it gives a margin of safety that the oncoming traffic isn't going to run you down. Except when they started the 'left turn on flashing yellow- yield to traffic deal in Texas. The question becomes WHERE do you wait? I wait back at the light behind the wide white stripe- had a few Oscar Grope's get angry and pull out around me- but they usually get embarrassed when they can't clear the light either- but I don't want a red light ticket, and if I wasn't the first at the light, I have no idea if the yellow left turn arrow will turn red or green next. Waiting out another light ain't the end of the world, if you get to stay alive for it. I see riders out in the middle of an intersection, perfect target- sitting- foot on the ground hoping traffic will clear. Haven't seen any cops pull them over yet..but, being the last one in the intersection when the light changes red and you are blocking traffic screams IDIOT!! to me..

DonnyBrook
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Post by DonnyBrook » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 am

I grew up in the 60s on HDs with foot clutches. First a rock and roll then a suicide then back to r&r - so (even now) I never stop with my left foot down, and always stop with the front brake. OTOH - by the time I squeeze the front brake I am hardly moving - not enough to have the front forks dip when I stop. Now that I have the luxury of a hand clutch I stop IN GEAR, both feet down and head on a swivel.

Long ago and far away I was in traffic coming to a red light. A full dress HD with more lights than I have ever seen on a bike (till this day) was first, a car next, me on a bike next, and a buddy, also on a bike, next. The guy on the dresser stopped at the light and I was just blown away by the light show on the back of his bike :-) when the car hit him and knocked him through traffic and into the ditch on the other side of the road!!!
A MC cop responded and told me and my friend "NEVER FORGET - NEVER! - THEY DO NOT SEE YOU" I haven't forgot.... I treat red lights as stop signs - I DO NOT sit in the street hoping that some nice old lady will see me. And, for what it's worth, that incident was in 1970 and I haven't got a ticket for running a red light yet. If I'm in traffic I'll, usually, wait till the light changes, but when I'm alone at a red light I'm gone.
I also ride as if I'm invisible = THEY DON'T SEE US!!