Wont turn over ( crank )

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
oswoody
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100i

Wont turn over ( crank )

Post by oswoody »

I think I am almost to the point of taking a nice 12lb sledge to my once beautiful 81 GL1100.

I am desperate for any help someone might be able to provide.

Problem: When I hit the starter button it just gives a clunk. Wont turn over the engine. I just replaced the starter and the starter relay. New battery. Yesterday, when I finished the install of the new starter, it cranked right up. I drove it for about 10 miles. Got home, shut it down. Went to start it again and nothing. Just the clunk. I even hooked up my jumper cables. I checked all connections. I even bridged the starter wire to see if relay might be bad. All I got was the clunk sound that I get when I hit the starter button. There is only a total of 45K miles on this bike. It has always been a faithful bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Wont turn over ( crank )

Post by Maz »

Hydrolocked? Take the spark plugs out and try again, but cover the plug holes with rags. If it IS hydrolocked, a good jet of fuel or water will spray out. Fuel is a sign of dodgy float valves, water from a bad head gasket.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

oswoody

Post by oswoody »

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

When you press the starter and hear the clunk, how is the battery? Put a voltmeter on the battery, and tell us what the reading is before you press the starter, and then while you press the starter (when you get the clunk). If the voltage drops down considerably (from around 12.5 volts, where it should be at rest) to 11 volts or lower, you may have a mechanical issue (like hydrolocked, as mentioned). If the voltage doesn't drop down much, it might be an electrical issue.

oswoody

Post by oswoody »

Thank you for all the good advice. As it turned out, I did as suggested. I removed the spark plugs ( but being an idiot, I forgot the part about putting a rag over the plug holes ). I turned it on, hit the starter button and WOW, cylinder # 2 shot a huge stream out. thankfully I was outside. But, it was mostly gas. Which I thought was weird. So then I put the plugs back in and it started right up. My battery doesn't seem to hold a charge so it is time for a new one. But using a jumper, it cranked right up.

So, once again, GoldwingDocs and fellow members came to my rescue. Thank you very much. This is such a valuable resource.

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Post by Earl43P »

Not only was that WEIRD but a potentially catastrophic ENGINE FAILURE can result if you don't fix that sticking #2 carburetor float.

Hydrolock can bend your piston connecting rods.

At the very least, put a full can of Berryman B12 into a 1/2 tank of gas for your next long ride. Might clean that float enough.
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

oswoody wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:50 am
Thank you for all the good advice. As it turned out, I did as suggested. I removed the spark plugs ( but being an idiot, I forgot the part about putting a rag over the plug holes ). I turned it on, hit the starter button and WOW, cylinder # 2 shot a huge stream out. thankfully I was outside. But, it was mostly gas. Which I thought was weird. So then I put the plugs back in and it started right up. My battery doesn't seem to hold a charge so it is time for a new one. But using a jumper, it cranked right up.

So, once again, GoldwingDocs and fellow members came to my rescue. Thank you very much. This is such a valuable resource.
As Earl43P states, fix that leaking No 2 float valve soon and make sure you turn the fuel tap off when parking. If the engine had fired on one of the other cylinders before No 2 locked up, you could easily have bent a con-rod.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Maz wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:16 am
oswoody wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:50 am

As Earl43P states, fix that leaking No 2 float valve soon and make sure you turn the fuel tap off when parking. If the engine had fired on one of the other cylinders before No 2 locked up, you could easily have bent a con-rod.

Maz
^^^ this exactly. Don't park without shutting that petcock off, or it's just going to leak down into the engine and do the same thing again. It's always a good idea to get into the habit of shutting that off every time you park.

knockdolian
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100

Post by knockdolian »

I had the same issue. Hit the button and clunk. Pretty much guessed it was hydro lock. I took the plugs out and hit the button again. Again, clunk. Put the bike on the Center stand and put the bike in gear. Spun the back wheel and gas spewed from No2 pot. I removed the starter and took the top off. I found the planetary gears had sheared off teeth. It would not spin once the broken part came up against the outer ring. One to watch. Think these will break before the con rod bends.