After market 1500 exhaust

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

After market 1500 exhaust

Post by agedbikeman »

See my previous post on this suject.
So after a nightmare,broken studs, rusty collector box, new parts that didn't fit etc,etc,etc, my new exhaust is finally up and running, BUT it's too loud with a deep exhaust note, a bit like when a huge truck goes past your house and all the windows rattle. this was supposed to be a specific exhaust to fit a goldwing, what planet are the manufacturers on, if you wanna make a noise buy a Harley. The company is Black Widow Exhausts in the UK, I phoned them and they don't offer any quieter baffle kits but did tell me what to buy on Ebay, they said longer with less holes is quieter, it's on its way from China but in the meantime I need to calm it down.

This is the removeable baffle and next to it is the stainless pan cleaner that I'm going to stuff in the baffle
This is the removeable baffle and next to it is the stainless pan cleaner that I'm going to stuff in the baffle

Here it is, stuffed, and wired to stop it blowing out.
Here it is, stuffed, and wired to stop it blowing out.

It does the trick but my question is will it create too much back pressure and cause any damage.
Before I stuffed the baffle, I took a pan cleaner in each hand and held it over the mufflers with the engine running, it didn't seem to make much difference of the pressure coming out but it shut the noise up.

Any input welcome

Thanks
Alex

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: After market 1500 exhaust

Post by WingAdmin »

Your primary worry would be that the back pressure would cause the exhaust valves to heat up, but I doubt you're going to see enough back pressure with those to cause any problems. Others have done the exact same thing with no issues (usually as a cheap fix to replace rotted-out baffles).

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

What specific part(s) numbers did you use?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

I bought the Black Widow mufflers 400cm, with connector pipes that fit on the original collector box, part number 400SR, the output tubes of my collector box were rusted away so I found a good condition collector box in Holland, I would not buy the stainless collector from black widow as it is just a straight through pipe system for connecting to the original down pipes, search www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk
OK for waking the neighbours, but not much good for a peaceful ride.

The supposed quieter baffles from Ebay 48mm dia, x 190mm long, angled, from China with less holes than the ones supplied from balck widow.

If it comes up as quiet as the original Honda when I get my new baffles, it will be a great improvement on the oem mufflers, stainless steel so no rust and they remove completely backwards in a straight for rear wheel removal, great advantage when you have an Insta Trike kit.