headset /mic for a GL1800 wing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
CaptKen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800A w/ Hennese trike conversion

headset /mic for a GL1800 wing

Post by CaptKen »

I just bought a (new to me) 2007 gl1800 trike and need a recommendation for a pair of headsets /mic to put into our helmets
New or used. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Capt Ken
Ken Peterson
kenpeterson0961@gmail.com

Ken Peterson
Conway, SC 29526
kenpeterson0961@gmail.com
2007 Wing w/Hennessey Trike Conversion
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: headset /mic for a GL1800 wing

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just went through that, and bought the Sena 50S which will allow you to talk to the old style Bluetooth Sena/Cardo intercoms, and incorporates the newer "Mesh" intercom system which will allow multiple riders to have multi-way conversations up to 5 miles, provided that all of the intervening riders have the Mesh type intercoms.
( and it will Merge your local Bluetooth 10S type riders thru your headset to the Mesh rider intercoms )

to me, that made a lot more sense than buying only "one mode" type intercom.

I now have the ability to converse with up to 4 other Bluetooth intercom riders, or an unlimited number of Mesh intercom riders,
plus it will interface with a cellphone ( mine does, love it )
plus it also has FM radio with up to 10 preprogrammed FM radio channels.

To interface it to the bike's intercom, requires a Bluetooth adapter available from Sena.

the 50S is not totally waterproof, but it is Water Resistant, Sena has another headset with the same features that is waterproof as it mounts inside the helmet.

https://expeditionbee.com/sena-20s-vs-sena-50s/

this is my discussion of how I went about getting the 50S, after having bought the ST1 which is Mesh only, a bad mistake.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/h ... st-5954113

if you go with the 50R, you get waterproof

this explains most of the choices for you

https://throttlebuff.com/best-motorcycle-intercom/
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Post by dadztoy »

Ken,

You can go wireless with Bluetooth headsets as John suggests or you can go wired and save some $$$.

Today, there are 2 basic choices for wired headsets, J&M or IMC. J&M are the more expensive of the two. IMC gives a lot of "bang for the buck", so you might look at them. They are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the J&M depending on model chosen.

I used Airrider headsets for the last 2 decades but they are now out of business, so my replacement headsets will be IMC.

If you go with the Sena 50s, you will need an additional accessory to bring the bike's audio into your headsets and CB radio at about another $250...

If it were me, I would go wired rather than BT, unless you have a 2018 bike or newer which is setup for BT...

Les
Nightwing93
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

Personally I went with Cardo, I’ve got one J&M headset, top of the line don’t remember the model number, and a cord. And another older set. Probably never use them again. I wonder what they are worth?
I like not having to plug in all the time. And being connected to my phone, via blueing-teeth. Just gotta remember to charge them after a ride. :D I’d like to know why we can’t get these different mesh systems to work together even though we can connect via blueing-teeth. Just my two cents… ;)

So it just depends if you just want to just listen to music and talk to your passenger. Yes, the Cardos and Senas are expensive but once you got em , you got em forever…
dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Post by dadztoy »

Understand your reasoning and why it works for you. Cardo's lasting for life might be a stretch as things do wear out and go bad like batteries, etc. For me, I don't want to have to worry about another thing to charge at the end of the day or running out of battery on along ride, and the fact that I would have to purchase 2 freewire's just boosts the price by another 500 bucks.

Like I said, if I had a 2018 or newer setup for BT, it might be a different story, but for the way I ride these days, wired works for me, albeit a bit inconvenient having to unplug and plug in.

To each his own, I just wanted to give Ken a few other options...

Les
jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

ive got a question pertaining to this i use corded headsets and have added bluetooth to my 03 wing was using a iphone 6 and had to add a unit to let radio play while using phone gps because waze app when on would cancel radoi !! it pluged in phone ear plug hole all worked great. could answer calls pressing button and also get directions from waze app when on . now have updated to i 13 phone guess what no earphone jack hole so is there anything out there to get me to where i can use apps without canceling radio other than updating bike!!
jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

i found my honda headsets on ebay wired and they work great they were new so didnt have to worry about working. but a lot cheeper. have used j+m and other brands too . cords seam to wear out for me guess im a little rough on them!