How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Post by Charlie1Horse » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 pm

I know that this DIY posting was several years ago but, I was on the superbrightleds.com website and when I tried to search for these led units I could not find them. Some came up but with different numbers like WLED -?? came up as 194-??. Anyone else run into this? I don't want to order them and take it all apart and then find that they are the wrong bulbs. Some searches come up with a bulb that looks like maybe the right one but, the part numbers are different. Any help is appreciated.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:42 am

Charlie1Horse, I did the LED upgrade and it works GREAT!!! It's been almost a year ago though so I'm going to go thru the list of bulbs that I got and check to see if the numbers have changed. In the meantime, , would you list the bulbs that you found that are the SAME as what was recommended, , , then list the ones that seem to have different numbers. ALSO, ,are you planning on replacing OEM bulbs with LED's in any of the circuits that require a resistor? On my bike, the oil light is the only one left that is an OEM bulb because I didn't want to mess with an in-circuit resistor. Gimme a chance to check my list of bulbs, but I'm sure one of the experts will be by shortly to give input. WingAdmin is the guru of all this "electrical jargon" that I couldn't understand if you gave me a lifetime.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 am

I found my "packing list" with the bulb numbers that I used. You'll see I "diffused" some of the dash lites because some folks commented about "hot spots/glare", and it worked great for me, , , , do as you wish though.

QTY: (4) main dash lights- 194-CWHP5 (cool white 5 lite) $5 ea. ***NOTE; I used a hot glue gun to put a plastic dome to diffuse the light from the "forward" lite. The plastic lids used for drinks at almost any fast-food place have little "domes" for diet, Rootbeer, water on top that they push down to indicate which drink it is. I cut these little domes to fit over the end lite and it prevents "hot spots/glare" when the dash lights are visible in darkness.

QTY: (2) top & bottom center dash- 74-WHP (white) $1.85 ea. ***NOTE: same plastic "diffuser" from a plastic lid and hot glue gun to attach domes to both of these.

QTY: (1) Hi-beam- 194-B4-32 $2.59 ea. (I would recommend a diffuser on this one too. On backroads at nite, this dang one is BRITE!!!!)

QTY: (1) Neutral - 194-G4-32 $2.59 ea.

QTY: (1) Side Stand- 194-A4-32 $1.59 ea

QTY: (1) Overdrive- 194-A4-32 $1.59 ea.

QTY: (2) Turn indicators in dash- 74-AHP $1.85 ea.

I verified the numbers and cost at Superbriteleds-dot-com, , I don't know if you plan on any other "LED upgrades", just let us know what you need.

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks bluthundr31,
Those are probably the ones I will go with as well. I re-searched super bright LED web site and found different numbers, like,

Turn Signal----------WingAdmin listed--74-AHP------Clicked link--74-xHP-CAR----Searched site--74-AHP
Main Illumination-------------------------WLED-W6--------------------WLED-x6-CAR--------------------WLED-x6-RVB
High Beam---------------------------------WLED-B4-32-----------------194-x4-x-CAR--------------------194-B4-32
O/D Side Stand, etc----------------------WLED-A4-32-----------------194-x4-x-CAR--------------------194-A4-32
Neutral-------------------------------------WLED-G4-32-----------------194-x4-x-CAR--------------------194-G4-32
LCD Illumination--------------------------74-BHP3----------------------74-xHP3-CAR---------------------74-BHP3
Oil-------------------------------------------WLED-R4-32-----------------194-x4-x-CAR--------------------194-R4-32
Reverse-------------------------------------WLED-W4-32----------------194-x4-x-CAR--------------------194-W4-32
This is a little confusing. I suppose SuperBrightLEDs have updated part numbers since this listing was first published.
Thanks for the info. Since mine is an Interstate I don't have Cruise, Reverse, or LCD display
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Good for you, , , ,You'll LOVE the improvement. I can't help much with the lights that need resistors, , but someone will come along if you have trouble with them.

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks again,
I have ordered the same one that you used. But, I don't need the ones for the center digital display. And I won't be needing the resistors as I have an Interstate, no cruise or reverse. It will be nice to have all the light working as for now only half of the main illumination is working. At night, I have to wait for the next streetlight to see my temp or fuel gauge. I have already changed out all the rear lighting with LED. And I have modified my cornering lights with bright white LEDs that are on (like tail lights) with the ignition on and brighten up (like stop lights) when turn signals are on.
Russell

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 am

Great, , I look at how my dash looked before the LED upgrade and I wonder how in the heck I EVER saw the tach or speedometer. The LED's make that blue dash "pop" and its so much easier to see all the gauges. Take some before, and after pics, then post em here for us to see, , ,it'll absolutely CONVINCE any skeptic to DO IT!!!

BTW, ,if you have ANY thoughts about changing your front speakers, , NOW is the time to do it while that dash/panel is off, , , ,I timed my LED install to get the upgraded speakers in at the same time, , ,saves time and makes sense to do em both while that dash is out. Same goes for putting some lube on that speedometer cable at the top, , , it can be a bugger doing it when the dash is mounted in-place.

Good luck and I know you'll love the new look.

chris301up
Motorcycle: 1500 SE

Post by chris301up » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 pm

I've just placed an order with Superbrightleds for the LED's required to convert my GL1500 meter. Unfortunately, they are unable to help regarding the resistors and, unless I order large quantities, have been unable to find these on Ebay or elsewhere. Can anyone advise, preferably within the UK?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Any electronic parts supply house will have the resistors you need. If you are unaware of electronic parts suppliers, go to a local electronic repair facility and ask where they get their parts or ask if they know of one that is local to you.

You can also order online from Radio Shack: https://www.radioshack.com/collections/parts
Or, Newark Supply: https://www.newark.com/c/passive-compon ... omposition
Or, Mouser Electronics: https://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?N=254365

Unfortunately I know nothing of the UK but I am sure you will find what you need.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

chris301up
Motorcycle: 1500 SE

Post by chris301up » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately, we no longer have any local electrical repair shops or suppliers as they have all now sadly gone. Tandy's and Maplins were our best options, but they too are now defunct. We don't have Radio Shack either in this country. I have however, ordered some off Ebay, but I have had to order a minimum of 20 of each. The unused ones will go in the bin I suppose? Thanks again

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm

All the options I gave you after suggesting a local repair facility of some sort was for ONLINE ordering. The Radio Shack, Newark and Mouser links I provided were for online ordering. Mouser may be your best option of the three.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA