What's everyone's two-wheeled History?

Brothers and Sisters to our Goldwings - Other Bikes we Own
  • Sponsored Links
jammer444
Motorcycle: 1994 honda GL1500A Aspencade, 1999 Honda V750a Magna

Re: What's everyone's two-wheeled History?

Post by jammer444 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am

Sorry..no pic yet.
Ages ago some of my buddies had Rupp minibikes, so I got to ride those and got the fever! I was about 8/9 then..
Later (around 15) I ended up with a Hodaka ACE 90 that didn't run, so I took it apart and rebuilt the engine in my bedroom over the winter. I was living with my Grandparents then and they were NOT impressed. Sold that to a friend and graduated from high school, got married to the most wonderful woman in the world, and joined the Air Force.. Didn't get another bike till around 78. One of the guys in my squadron had a '75 1/2 Harley that was sitting in his shed . I saw it and asked about it, and we worked out a deal where I gave him 2 of my long guns and $1000 cash and it was mine. The thing hadn't even been registered and had only 351 miles on it!
Not a bad deal for a NEW bike, huh? :lol:
Sold that after about a month (I bought it to resell it anyway, but in that short time, I fell in love with that thing) Went overseas and didn't get another bike until we came back CONUS..Had a 80 Kaw.500 2-stroke, 3 cylinder..got it in baskets and boxes, but I got her back together and running..then I got a Honda CB 400, a '75 Yamaha 650 Midnight Special (never liked that bike..always felt unstable). Then got a Honda CX500 from a friend..
Moved to Alabama after I got out of active duty in '92...the Honda just sat and eventually I gave it away to someone to play with.
My wife really didn't like me riding a bike in city traffic anyway, so I didn't ride for another 14 years. In that time my Bride went to be with Jesus, and I decided to start riding again, Found a fellow with a '99 Honda Magna (750) with 10 k on it that wouldn't run (carbs clogged from sitting w/ fuel in them). Picked it up for $800 and cleaned the carbs. Now I ride that one to work as much as possible..but I'd always wanted a Wing..found a gent in Alabama w/ a '95 Aspencade that hadn't run in 2 years..picked it up for $1750 with 95 k on the clock..turned out that the petcock vacuum line had a hole in it and the carbs didn't have any gas!. Fixed that and she fired right up! Now I have my cake (Maggie the Magna) and can eat it too!( Smokey the Wing)
Life is good.

Wink1018
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Re: What's everyone's two-wheeled History?

Post by Wink1018 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Forgive me with no pics.....

My love of motorcycles started in the 70’s. As a kid I saw Evil Kenevil jumping his bikes over anything and everything. Plus, my uncles both had dirt bikes/dual purpose bikes. Unfortunately, my parents forbade me from ever owning a motorcycle.

Jump ahead to the mid 90’s. I was in my 20’s and finally decided it was time to get my own motorcycle. I enrolled in the safety course and received my endorsement to ride. I then picked up the first bike I felt comfortable on. Needless to say I knew nothing about this bike until it was too late. Let’s just say it’s power shared the crap out of me on the third day I owned it. My first bike was a 1983 Honda Magna V65. Beautiful bike. And it fit my build. Needless to say, I was not aware of the power of this bike at the time. It took me three days to think maybe I should investigate what this bike is all about. Yea, 105hp at the tire through at shaft drive. 78ft/lb of torque. And the ability to lift the front tire of a bike that weighed as much as an elephant. I leaned really fast that I needed to respect the machine.

Unfortunately, I decided to sell it due to the birth of my first born. It didn’t take long to feel the remorse of not having a motorcycle.

I was able to liberate my father’s motorcycle from his garage in 2007. It sat in his garage for over 10 years collecting dust. The fact that my grandfather purchased it brand new. My father owned it after that. And neither rode the bike much at all. So here I have a basically new 1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim. It just needed the brake lines and tires changed, the carbs cleaned, and a good wash.

2010 was another good year for me and bikes. A coworker had a bike that was a project that he had lost interest in. Be basically gave me his 1993 VS1400GLP Intruder. Only issue was that it was an empty frame and 6 boxes worth of parts. It took me about 18 months to completely reassemble/restore this bike.

A few years later, my wife stated that she wanted a motorcycle. Great. She was going to get her motorcycle license and her own bike. So, I located an individual that was willing to trade a bike for the off-road Jeep I had. This is how we came about our third motorcycle. A beautiful 2001 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom. Long and low with just the right amount of power.

Unfortunately, my wife did not get her license. And now I am the owner of three motorcycles. Non of which are very comfortable for prolonged two-up riding. Thus brings us to this past week....

We talked about getting a touring bike for the both of us. And this week I found one within our budget. We were able to purchase a 1986 Honda GL1200I Interstate. It does need some major mechanical and minor cosmetic work. However, it is a bike that fits us both comfortably.

I look forward to repairing and riding the GW. It will definately round out the stable of bikes in our garage
Matt

1986 Honda GL1200I Goldwing Interstate
1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1993 Suzuki VS1400GLP Intruder
2001 SVX650 V-Star Custom