Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Don't remember if I posted here or not.

My son was headed to Iraq as civvie mechanic making the big bucks, 2 year contract.

he had a '84 Honda Goldwing that was going to be sitting still, and he knew that "would not work" period.
so he brought it over to me and told me to start riding again..... I had quit 30 years earlier because "my kids needed a daddy" and I had started getting really stupid riding my off road bike, sold that to stay healthy.

I traded the 84 for a '94SE, and when he came home, I found him a 86SEi which he really liked.....

~John

gwbldad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by gwbldad » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:36 pm

No one made me buy a Goldwing...I wanted to!

My first Goldwing was purchased from a co-worker who felt he spent more time polishing it than riding it, and thought someone else would enjoy it more than he did. It was a 1975 model, with very low mileage and few accessories. After many years and many miles of riding this classic, I had the opportunity to purchase a 1983 Interstate...again with low mileage and plenty of polishing.

walkerll
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Post by walkerll » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 pm

My wife and I were ridding a 750 Honda Shadow from Myrtle Beach to Lumberton, NC for a GWRRA rally. The person we were ridding along with us was ridding a Goldwing. I suggest my wife ride with him, since she would be more comfortable. When we got to the rally she told me I had to get a Goldwing. That was all I needed to hear. With in three months I was proud owner of a Goldwing. This happen in 1999, I have been enjoying ridding Goldwings ever since.

Mount hope ed
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade w/ California sidecar

Post by Mount hope ed » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:00 pm

The sidecar attached to it!!!

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm

What "made me" buy a Goldwing?.... Simple..... a test drive. :roll:

Now I tell people, if they are looking for a bike, "don't test drive a Goldwing unless you are prepared to buy it!"
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 pm

I had two 650 Yamaha twins and a 1975 CB400F and struggled to keep up with my son on his 06 Bonneville. The Yamahas tend to rattle your teeth at higher rpms and the 400F maxes out at about 70 MPH with me on it. He suggested getting something bigger for highway riding and someone planted the idea of a goldwing in my head. I decided that I wanted a 75 , 76 , or a 77 wing for three reasons, I like spiked wheels, these three years came with an auxiliary kickstarter arm stored in the right side of the shelter , and they are old enough for pioneer plates in the state I live in. My brother in law knew what I was looking for and found a pair of them for sale in a general for sale ad on Craig’s List.I ended up buying both , non runners , one titled , one not, basically a parts bike. After cleaning carbs , changing fluids , going through all the brakes ,and changing timing belts , they both run . I have since put together one complete stock wing and did all of the paperwork and steps to title the other one. Now I’m impatiently waiting for spring to come to get on the road and put some miles on it.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 am

That sure brings back memories! My 1970 Yamaha XS650 was a rattler!

Ride it long enough and your butt gets numb, your hands get uncomfortable but damn it was light nimble and fun! Rode it for about a year when the 1977 Yamaha XS750D came out.

Three cylinders, shaft drive, fairing and saddlebags. Only bad part were the saddlebag brackets (the ones around the saddlebags) kept breaking at the weld. I would see them merrily bouncing down the road behind me! Luckily my dad could weld them back together without damaging the chrome too much. None of the repaired ones ever broke! That's the bike I put the heavy mileage on. 32,000 miles in 18 months which is just shy of 1800 miles per month.

My next bike was a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing. Lots of work, lots of fun. Just sold it this month. I am hoping the new owner gets the use and fun out of it that I did.

harveysmedlap
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by harveysmedlap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Met my future wife back in 1972. We spent most of our dating on my 1956 Triumph so I suspected she was a keeper. Got married in 73 and she suggested we buy a new Cl350 Honda it was then I knew she was a keeper. Flash forward and many bikes later, while planning our 30th anniversary with a trip to Hawaii, we both decided it was way to much money to spend for only one week of fun. Enter our sons inlaws with there 93 gl1800 for a quick visit. As soon as they left my wife (the keeper) looked at me and said find us a Goldwing. Within one week there was a 89 gl1500 sitting in the driveway. Then came the 04 1800, then the sidecar for the wife, and after 150000 miles it was replaced with a shiney eight year old 08 with 439 original miles. We don't travel as much as we used to, but you won't find any cobwebs growing on the bike either. Only regret is selling the 56 Triumph, even though it leaked oil everywhere. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Animal76
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 2006 GL1800

Post by Animal76 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

When Wing Ding was coming to Fort Wayne in 2002.

larryc
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by larryc » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am

I started riding in '63 on an Allstate Compact. Over the next 23 years while serving in the Marines, I rode a variety of bikes, Harley, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda. I never rode a Gold Wing until 1986. While at a Squadron(Marine Air Wing) ball game, my wife told me one of my co-workers had a motorcycle for sale. It was a 1978 Wing that had been sitting under a tarp for a couple years. The tags weren't current, so couldn't ride it on base. He brought it to my house out in the country. I took it for a ride. Rode out 15 minutes, but it took over an hour to get back. It had a bad coolant leak, so I'd ride a little bit, stop and let it cool down, and so on. I called him, told him about the leak and bought the bike for $1000. He had been asking $2500. I fixed the leak and rode it for several years. Sold it when I got divorced in 92. In 94, I found a pair of wings(a 76 and a 77), that hadn't been run in years. I got the 76 running, kept the 77 for parts, and rode it till 2-13. Since then I've had several more 1000's, a couple 1100's, and now have a 79, and 84A and a 99A. I'll have a Wing as long as I can handle one.

Touristas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE
2008 GL1800
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour

Post by Touristas » Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi Folks!

This topic dredges-up some very pleasant memories. One day, out of the blue, my wife suggested that motorcycle touring sounded like fun. Not ever having heard that from her before, I ascribed her comment to a transient whim and blew it off...until she mentioned it again, not long thereafter. Not wishing to be a fool, I immediately took her to the local Honda shop to sit on a touring rig (whatever that might be)...which just happened to be a GoldWing. Neither of us had any riding experience or motorcycle knowledge, so we bought a little 100 cc rig to help us get by the DMV practical test, which we passed and got our motorcycle endorsement. Then, we took the MSF Basic Rider Course (EXCELLENT DECISION). The night we completed that three-day class, we jumped on an airplane and flew to Portland, Maine. We picked up two new 1994 GoldWing SEs and rode them home -- to Anchorage, AK. By not rushing, it was the hoot of a lifetime. En route, we had plenty of time to ruminate on why we'd settled on GoldWings, so these are the things that sold us:

Very cool appearance
Impressive amenities
Flawless engineering
Total comfort (in erect riding posture with add-on adjustable backrest)
Engines quiet and smooth, but full of testosterone
No leaks -- ever
Onboard air compressor
Plenty of storage for two people
Excellent communication via CB
Delightful sound system
Legendary reliability

Would we do it all again? YUP!!!

Dos Touristas 8-) :)

northerndrifter
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
25 anniversary Canadian Edition. 1976 Honda CB750A

Post by northerndrifter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:49 pm

After over 50 years of riding, 'Arther' (arthritis) finally caught up with me. I was having a real problem squeezing the clutch lever on my '01 Ultra so I decided to see what was out there for anything (in my price range) with a hydraulic clutch. Well, not much. So I posted my HD for sale. The post was only 2 days old when I got a reply.

To make a long story short, I traded my Ultra with 86K km for a 2000 SE 25th anniversary edition with 23K km and went straight across. The Wing had been professionally stored by a car collector for over 12 years. We made the trade and I took it to my local dealer and had it gone through. All fluids flushed and filled, new tires and new timing belts and the bike was declared 'as new in showroom condition' by the dealer. I haven't looked back since and I can continue riding for the foreseeable future. Love the bike, just wish it had a little more leg room when using the stock pegs as I'm used to riding in a 'feet forward' position. That's my only complaint.

Touristas
2008 GL1800
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour

Post by Touristas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Howdy Northerndrifter,

I have a '94 GL1500SE and I prefer an upright riding position where my feet remain flat and directly below (but not behind) my knees. To accomplish this, I put Markland floorboards on in conjunction with a heel-toe shifter which I've just LOVED. The only drawback is that they can drag a little if I lay it over in turns, but as long as I restrict my lean angle most of the time, all's well. Those particular floorboards are hinged so they displace upward and have some hard-metal buttons that make contact with the pavement without damaging the floorboards themselves. If Markland still sells these, I'll recommend them. I believe there are others, too, but I only have experience with the Markland models.

Touristas

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Touristas wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 pm
Howdy Northerndrifter,

I have a '94 GL1500SE and I prefer an upright riding position where my feet remain flat and directly below (but not behind) my knees. To accomplish this, I put Markland floorboards on in conjunction with a heel-toe shifter which I've just LOVED. The only drawback is that they can drag a little if I lay it over in turns, but as long as I restrict my lean angle most of the time, all's well. Those particular floorboards are hinged so they displace upward and have some hard-metal buttons that make contact with the pavement without damaging the floorboards themselves. If Markland still sells these, I'll recommend them. I believe there are others, too, but I only have experience with the Markland models.

Touristas
My 2000 SE CAME with floorboards and a heel/toe, and I ripped them off and sourced some OEM footpegs with which to replace them. I then put a set of highway pegs on the crash bars (up high, so they won't punch holes in the valve covers should it fall over). It gives me the best of both worlds - nice, precise shifting without a sloppy heel/toe shifter that's going to end up bending my shift forks, and a place to stretch my legs from time to time on long highway trips.

northerndrifter

Post by northerndrifter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm

I've looked at what's available for rider boards. I've only found 2 and both have the same problem (for me) the foot position doesn't change much from peg to board as far as foot placement is concerned.
Both sets of boards and the stock peg place the ankle and hip in a straight line vertically and as a result I wind up riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs and very little leg support.
You'd think that a long distance touring machine would have adjustable peg locations to accommodate taller riders. Highway pegs/boards are all well and fine when it's nice out, but who wants cold air blowing up your pants leg when it gets colder outside?

Touristas
2008 GL1800
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour

Post by Touristas » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Northerndrifter,

I'm a little perplexed. The Markland Floorboards I have on my '94 GL1500SE, which mount a bit forward of the stock footpegs, allow me to ride flat-footed with my feet below my knees, not below my hips. I'm fairly tall (6'1") and for me, riding that rig is just like sitting in a straight-back chair (very comfortable for me). I see those same floorboards do seem to still be available online with some looking. I, too, have Markland Highway Boards mounted on the crashbars for long-trip comfort. I like them as well.

Life is choices!
Touristas

northerndrifter

Post by northerndrifter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Touristas,

I've looked at pre-97 boards and the mount is different than on the post-97 bikes, small but unavoidable none-the-less.

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Bought my first Goldwing in 1994, it was a 1993 with 10,000 miles on it. After 25 years or so on miscellaneous other bikes, I just wanted to try something different. I rode that 93 for about four years and 50,000 miles before I became bored with it. I used to say it was like a 2-wheeled Buick, nothing to do but ride it and change oil and plugs every 8000 miles.

So I went back to other bikes for another few years before buying another GL1500, a 1994 that time. I sold it after around 10,000 miles, for the same reasons as before. Now I am back on a GL1800, two weeks and 2000 miles ago, as of today. After the last 12+ years on a Harley, maybe I can appreciate this GL1800, and not become bored this time. So far, its working for me.

I need to ride it at every opportunity this summer, in order to wear the Dunlop E4 rear tire out. Can't wait to go to the dark side :D

Ken Scourse
Motorcycle: 2003 goldwing 1800 A

Post by Ken Scourse » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Have rode super-sport and sport touring for 33 years and want to try something different and more relaxed on those "other"days.
Came so close to a BMW K1200LT but the comfort style of the GL1800 won me over.
I've only been an owner of the GL for 3 weeks and already love it.I do find parking lot style slow movement and Turing very difficult still, but will overcome this quickly.
So now I have acquired pure sport...vintage...sport your g and now luxury touring
Happy times

airedale
Motorcycle: 2004 goldwing, 2006 vtx 1300

Post by airedale » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 pm

After 45 years of riding everything from the old CB 450 to a VTX 1300 I bought a Wing so my wife could ride with me in more comfort. We moved to New Braunfels and can get onto good roads without having to fight traffic, like I had to do in Dallas, so she began riding with me. Not much room on a VTX so I moved to an 1800. What surprised me was how much better the Goldwing handles than the VTX. I should have moved to a Goldwing at least 2 motorcycles sooner.

Kevin Ball
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Post by Kevin Ball » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:47 am

Back in 1988, when the 1500 was released onto a waiting world, my local dealer offered me a test ride, I had the bike for 4 hours riding around the Havant area of Hampshire. What a machine, I was only used to my 650 Silverwing, the power, the looks, the handling, the faces of other motorists and pedestrians, I knew that this was the bike for me, sadly my wife disagreed, what about the kids she said, we won’t be able to take them with us, result, I thought, but she won out, it wasn’t until 1995 when my youngest daughter decided to make her own way in the world that my wife said, why don’t you get a Goldwing, you’ve always wanted one, 2 weeks later I was the proud owner of a 1990 blue 1500 with only 17000 on the clock

machineshop_steve
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing

Post by machineshop_steve » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi everyone!
What made me buy one...
Well, I've been reading a lot on the new Wing, and decided to ride one. It took about a half a block!
I traded a Super Duke 1290 GT which was a blast but ticked me off because I had to mod it a lot to get it to where it needed to be! Gearing was wrong, twitchy throttle, exhaust sounded terrible!
Thousands $$$ later, it goes like hell, and sounds good! BUT
Still uncomfortable for distance.
I also ride a Turbo Hayabusa, with about the same horsepower as it weighs! I've racked up nearly 100K Miles on it, and absolutely love it, other then riding a 100mph is like walking speed, so it's hard to ride it normal! Fun as can be though!
This Wing I want to put on some serious miles, so I'm planning a trip to the coast soon!
I can't wait to meet others that like cruisers like this, not Harleys because I work on engines, and they suck so bad it hurts to work on them! Can't believe people haven't figured it out yet...So many better bikes out there..
Anyway, looking forward to putting on a zillion miles on this thing! :D

Goldwing7777
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K1

Post by Goldwing7777 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:22 am

What 'made' me seek out and buy a Goldwing ? (albeit in bits ... very bad move but cheap!) - I enjoy fixing bikes and also appreciate the engineering that went into the older bikes.
I'm not talking about old leaky/rattly British stuff (been there - done that).

Got far too many bikes but they keep me very busy and the grey cells active :-

'76 Goldwing GL1000 (liked the bare early look - don't like 'em with fairings, panniers, clutter, etc. - Sorry.)
CB900C
CB750SC
CBX250RS
XBR500
NTV 650
VF750F
V45 Magna

'83 Yamaha TR1
Yamaha XS750
Yamaha GS850
Yamaha XJ750
Yamaha XJ900F

Suzuki GZ125
Suzuki FJ1200
Suzuki GS650GT
Suzuki GSX-R750

Kawasaki Z550 x2
Kawasaki Z750GT

Triumph 900 triple

Moto Guzzi Monza 500

BMW R65

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 am

Boy, I'd hate to have his annual registration/insurance bill! :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:49 pm

No doubt! I have five motorcycles in my “fleet”, two 1975 Goldwings, two Yamaha XS650 twins, and a CB400F. Three are old enough for pioneer plates with one more next year and the last one two years after that. Pioneer plates are a one time fee of $25.00 in my state . Now if I could somehow get the same deal with my insurance company! Lol. Good luck with your fleet.