Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by Terry D » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:00 am

In July 1974, I went on a two week camping trip with my Aunt and Uncle and two cousins 10 and 12. I was 25 and in the AF. We camped at Possum Kingdom Lake in East Texas. We had my Honda Trail 90 and two of theirs plus a trail 70. One day we were on the bikes and stopped for gas and snacks and up drove a new GL 1000. I was in wonderment watching him fill up the bike as I looked over that flat 4 cylinder and drive shaft, etc. At that time, I also had a Honda CB 350 to go along with my 90. Five months later I get married sell the 350. But kept the Trail 90.
We went to Germany a year later for 3 years. Upon our return to San Antonio, I bought a Hondamatic 450 that I could afford after selling the 90. But, I always googled over the Goldwings. Then Nov. 1980, I sold the 450A and bought a used 1977 GL 1000. I rode that bike every where. It had 37k miles when I bought it and 97k when I sold it in 1982 before going to Germany, again. I became a member of GWRRA in 81 and kept up with Goldwings and their changes through Wing World. But, while in Germany, I owned a 1982 BMW R80RT and a Honda Magna 750. Upon my return to San Antonio (1990) the second time, I went to the Dealer and bought a used GL 1100 and loved it. After putting 37k miles on that bike I bought a used 1992 GL1500 in mint condition. I put 112k miles on that bike and working at a Dealer was able to purchase at employee cost the first 2001 GL1800 sold in San Antonio. Four years and 46k miles later a lady runs over it while parked and totalled it. I rode Harleys after that until 2017 when I found my 2005 1800 with only 19k on the odometer. This bike will probably be my last now that I'm 70.

jcn59
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A Aspencade

Post by jcn59 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Cheep. No, I'm not practicing sparrow noises. It has 104K and has ran well for the 150 miles I've had it. Doesn't look like it was owned by a perfectionist. Still, it was a lot of bike for what I paid. I had a '78 GW that my wife bought me ten years ago from her B-I-L that had 42K but didn't run as well as this one. This 1986 Aspencade feels a lot heavier than the '78. Makes my 1200 Sportster feel like a motorbike. The Wing is so much nicer on the highway than the HD. Glad I bought it

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 pm

Sheer economics.

I used to be employed at an HD dealership. I rode all the bikes, from stock to crazy power and handling mods.

Favourite was the road glide, which is more or less analogous to a GL1500.

Paid $2700CAD for my 'wing. ZERO complaints. It has 263,000km on it, of which I have put on about 1,000. Paint is great, most everything works. Making small improvements as I do the maintenance it has been denied by the last owner or 2.

$100/1000km is a fair price for an experienced MC I suppose.

To get into a 'glide I am looking at around $15k for a similarly equipped unit.

I refuse to make payments on a frivolous toy, which at this point in my life is exactly what a motorcycle represents. Paid cash, /story.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.

Post by 2003Cobra » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am

Like some have said Economics. I've been a big Harley fan and at one point had 3 of them. I turned 70 this year and I thought my riding days were numbered, I just wasn't feeling a confident as I used to and the bikes were getting heavier with each passing year. I had pretty much given up riding in the mountains.
A good friend (who is 10 years my junior) came by one day with a brand new Tri-glide. He told me to take it out for a spin, I was reluctant it being brand new off the show room floor but I did take it out and found that riding a trike was a lot easier. But the problem was we were not in a position to afford a Harley. I also have a couple of friends who are big fans of the Goldwing and they have tried to get me to try the Goldwing in the past, but when my buddy who is riding the Tri-glide suggested I try a Goldwing and said "who knows you may like it." So I took a Goldwing trike out for a test spin and low and behold I did enjoy it, even more the riding the Tri-glide. So I started looking and found the 2003 with the CSC Cobra kit installed I fell in love with it. It's had a few problems but I've been getting everything to work, except the CB, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'm glad I went with the Goldwing and wish I had done it years ago.

2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.