Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger »

I rode for years with 4 other guys at first we all rode HD's, I aS the first to take the plunge and buy a bike other than from the ( Company). Within 2 years all of us had changed brands, got sick and tired of wrenching instead of riding. When I rode HD wherever I rode I had to return the same way to pick up the parts that fell off on the way out. I started riding on a 46 Indian Chief which my Dad willed to me when he passed. When I got my license Indian was no longer around, so I thought buy Harley Davidson, the only American big bike left, dad told me I would regret it and I did. Rode Brit bikes for a while and then went to Japanese bikes and have never looked back.
Still have the Indian and it still runs better than a new HD.
I'm an old coot who learned things in life and I have never been one to go along to be one of the crowd. You find something that flat works and you stick with it.😇

Musheenhed
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Post by Musheenhed »

I had a ton of toy trains for sale on Craigslist as make offer for the whole lot. Got a bunch of insulting offers from the usual clowns. After a couple weeks of running the ad, I had an offer to trade the trains for a 2002 gl1800 straight across.
That interested me to say the least. I had been an avid motorcyclist for 20 years, riding all types of bikes from trials to enduro to street and touring bikes. My first wife didn't like to ride or like me to ride because it took me away from her for extended periods. I sold all of my bikes and regretted it ever since. That marriage lasted 2 years, 2 months and 2 days. My new wife loves to ride and wants me to be happy so she insisted I do the trade. I emailed the guy back and setup a meeting at his place where I would bring what turned out to be an entire car full (and trunk) of my train collection. He opened a couple boxes and said yeah let's do this. We did the paperwork and he set me up with a couple helmets, chaps and a bunch of goodies and I was on my way home on my new bike. I didn't dare tell the guy that I paid $500 for all the toy trains 10 years earlier. So I got a once in a lifetime deal that I still can't believe actually happened. I'm really enjoying to wing and plan to ride it to Maine this summer.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 »

Musheenhed wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm
I had a ton of toy trains for sale on Craigslist as make offer for the whole lot. Got a bunch of insulting offers from the usual clowns. After a couple weeks of running the ad, I had an offer to trade the trains for a 2002 gl1800 straight across.
That interested me to say the least. I had been an avid motorcyclist for 20 years, riding all types of bikes from trials to enduro to street and touring bikes. My first wife didn't like to ride or like me to ride because it took me away from her for extended periods. I sold all of my bikes and regretted it ever since. That marriage lasted 2 years, 2 months and 2 days. My new wife loves to ride and wants me to be happy so she insisted I do the trade. I emailed the guy back and setup a meeting at his place where I would bring what turned out to be an entire car full (and trunk) of my train collection. He opened a couple boxes and said yeah let's do this. We did the paperwork and he set me up with a couple helmets, chaps and a bunch of goodies and I was on my way home on my new bike. I didn't dare tell the guy that I paid $500 for all the toy trains 10 years earlier. So I got a once in a lifetime deal that I still can't believe actually happened. I'm really enjoying to wing and plan to ride it to Maine this summer.
Sounds like you both won on this deal, it doesn't matter on how much you paid for the train collection, the guy who traded thought is was a good deal and that's all the matters. Enjoy your Wing and have many happy days of riding. I'm thankful that my wife also like to ride, she was the one that insisted that I treat myself to a new Gold Wing back in 2013, it didn't take me long to agree with her.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 -sold
1977 Suzuki GS 750 - sold
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

i bought my first street bike, a 1976 Honda CB500T new. Out grew that one pretty quick. The next year I sold it and bought a new 1977 Suzuki GS 750. That was the fastest stock 750 in the quarter mile that year. Had that for 10 years and was hardly riding it. Wanted to buy another house and needed some more money to put down so sold that one with only 10,000 miles on it. Then four children later, house empty again, decided to ride again. Bought a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard 1500. Loved the colour and the bike and knew I would be doing a lot more riding. My wife and I discussed that we would like to do some long bike trips. There was no way that was going to happen on the Boulevard.It had a couple small saddle bags and a rack on the back that would hold some kind of tie on bag. basically no room. Started looking at Goldwings because of all the storage and reliability of the engines. Didn't think I could afford a wing. Found a beautiful 1997 red GL1500 SE. Fell in love with it and bought it. Sold the Boulevard first chance I got. I thought after 2/3 years of upgrading to a 1800. Found a 2012 for sale and drove my bike down to check it out. It was my favourite colour. Red. Tried it out. It ran good and was plenty fast enough but in the end it had a couple of electrical issues which I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with, since i had an issue with my 1500 lcd display acting up periodically. So I told the owner I would think about it and jumped back on my 97 and took off. Right there and then I knew I couldn't buy an 1800 because as I drove away I realized how much smoother and more comfortable my 1500 was. So still have my 1500. Maybe when I can't get on it anymore I will have to find a trike.
Keep the rubber side down - Steve

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief »

You don't have to "find" a Trike when the time comes. If you love your 1500, just trike it out and keep on riding. You will know when it is time, and you will not regret it.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 -sold
1977 Suzuki GS 750 - sold
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

Ya I guess when I can't get my legs over the seat and hold it up at the stops. Good point though might be cheaper to trike it out rather than but another bike that you know nothing about. Hopefully that scenario doesn't happen soon!
Keep the rubber side down - Steve

keithzorn
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 Tour Hawkseye Blue Pearl
1979 GL 1000 Goldwing

Post by keithzorn »

My first bike at 45 years old was a 1984 Aspencade, then wife had to have a HD, years went by and I traded my 1995 Ultra for a pristine 1979 GL1000 with 25k miles,(still have it) then I had a bug to get a newer bike, started looking at HD’s, after thinking about the things I dislike about cycling in general (noise, cold, cost of upgrades etc.) I looked at the 1833’s, saw it in Pearl Hawkseye Blue, 2018 and put my money down over the internet, ordered the fog lamps and the luggage rack/ multi light bar and when that day came to pick her up, it was the first time I even sat on her, drove her home 50 miles at 29 deg. F. And enjoyed the whole trip, heated grips and seat were the difference. I have since added highway pegs and trim pieces and the Kuryakyn lowers (soon the Show Chrome uppers) that cold ride was where you really learn where to add stuff. She still has less than100 miles because Wisconsin is still cool, but I do get out around the block. 8-)
2018 Goldwing tour.

Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

keithzorn wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 am
My first bike at 45 years old was a 1984 Aspencade, then wife had to have a HD, years went by and I traded my 1995 Ultra for a pristine 1979 GL1000 with 25k miles,(still have it) then I had a bug to get a newer bike, started looking at HD’s, after thinking about the things I dislike about cycling in general (noise, cold, cost of upgrades etc.) I looked at the 1833’s, saw it in Pearl Hawkseye Blue, 2018 and put my money down over the internet, ordered the fog lamps and the luggage rack/ multi light bar and when that day came to pick her up, it was the first time I even sat on her, drove her home 50 miles at 29 deg. F. And enjoyed the whole trip, heated grips and seat were the difference. I have since added highway pegs and trim pieces and the Kuryakyn lowers (soon the Show Chrome uppers) that cold ride was where you really learn where to add stuff. She still has less than100 miles because Wisconsin is still cool, but I do get out around the block. 8-)
I remember cold morning rides. Turned out it was 20 degrees and ICY!!!! Not fun, but interesting, as above 50mph the bike started moving around in it lane. Slowed down to 50 and keep on going. When I got to work, still in my gear, some brite person asked "how did you get to work?" I remember looking at them and saying "on my bike, that's why I have my gear on".
Then they told me "but the freeways are closed due to ice" Well that made sense. Oh well, add that ride to the lets not do it again list. By the way my ride into work was 50 miles.
Ed

twinbooty
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by twinbooty »

I started riding motorcycles in the early 80's starting with a Kawasaki 650. It was a good starter bike. When that was stolen, I graduated to a 1100 Kawi. It was a good cruising bike and I took a trip to Yellowstone with it. I sold that bike because I wasn't riding it as much as it deserved. After about 15 years of not riding, I started to look for a bike and I always wanted a touring bike. Years ago I fell in love with a Honda Aspencade and just wished I could afford one. But I knew this was the style of bike I wanted with the radio, fairing, saddlebags and the comfort. After my wife finally relented, I started to look for a used bike. I came across a real deal on a 2002 1800. After 15 years of not riding, it took some time to get my bike legs back and I am glad I bought this bike. Now I can look forward to cruising again.

waynedudes
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 with CSC Trike conversion

Post by waynedudes »

After owning six Harleys, Panheads, Shovelheads, Sportster, early Evolution, and finding myself sitting on the side of the road.... I wanted to get from point A to point B, without breaking down. So for the last several years I have owned a 1994 Gold Wing 1500 SE Trike.

Rollie83
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Rollie83 »

What made me buy my Goldwing? It was love at first site. I was looking at upgrading from my 86 Shadow 750 in 2014 I was still new to riding and after a few years on the Shadow I was outgrowing it. I wanted a cruiser/touring I looked at a couple of bikes and test rode a 96 Yamaha it was ok but not all there then I saw this 1982 Goldwing 1100 for sale on kijiji. Now its illogical to buy a bike older than the one you own but I thought what the heck lets look. I went to the sellers house and fired it up and it sounded beautiful and it was in near mint condition with less than 30,000 kms the guy wanted it for a project but plans changed. The seller told me he wanted $3500 dollars and not a penny less he was adamant. I slept on it for a night and got a hold of him the next day and said okay here's my money. I still have this bike and have kept up the maintenance I have replaced the timing belts did a carb sync valve clearances put new tires on and just have kept it going. I have rode to Tofino BC, Montana Jasper Waterton Lakes have rode it in all kinds of weather and loved every minute. The bike still runs like a top and can pass any Harley effortlessly at nearly 40 years old.

Turkeyboy111
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by Turkeyboy111 »

I've always been a huge car enthusiast and all around gearhead, so when my school shut down due to COVID, I figured I should work on some sort of project to keep myself active. My parents refused to let me keep a car in their driveway, but after a little sweet talking, they said I would be able to store a (small) bike in the garage. After looking around for weeks at overpriced CB750's, CX500's and the like, I found a GL1000 for $1000. I drove down to look at it and quickly found out that it was nowhere near running. But I figured the longer it takes, the busier it'll keep me. I offered the seller $600 and a case of beer and took it home. My parents where only a little miffed about how huge the bike is :lol:

Now to get it running!

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 »

Turkeyboy111 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 pm
I've always been a huge car enthusiast and all around gearhead, so when my school shut down due to COVID, I figured I should work on some sort of project to keep myself active. My parents refused to let me keep a car in their driveway, but after a little sweet talking, they said I would be able to store a (small) bike in the garage. After looking around for weeks at overpriced CB750's, CX500's and the like, I found a GL1000 for $1000. I drove down to look at it and quickly found out that it was nowhere near running. But I figured the longer it takes, the busier it'll keep me. I offered the seller $600 and a case of beer and took it home. My parents where only a little miffed about how huge the bike is :lol:

Now to get it running!
Good luck on the GL1000, that was my first Gold Wing a 79 GL1000.
Any idea just how long it has been sitting? There's a lot of information on this site, so wrench away.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

in2it
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 Aspencade
1982 GL1100 SOLD
1980 GL1100 Bobber with Vance and Hines Headers/Mufflers
Past Rides
1972 CB 350
1975 CB 550 4 with Dunstall headers and mufflers
1978 GL 1000

Post by in2it »

My first Wing was a 78 Goldwing... once it's running you'll love it ... bear in mind it isn't a sport bike