Darkside Tech: Using Car Tires on a Motorcycle Rim

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
rjohnson
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Darkside Tech: Using Car Tires on a Motorcycle Rim

Post by rjohnson » Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am

So, I ride a 1500 with a Dunlop e4 on the back. No problems, and I'm not considering using a CT. That being said, I thought I would read this thread just for entertainment and I sure got it! Just one observation. Much anger on the dark side there is. I didn't read a single post from anyone who favors MT's bashing anyone else for using CT's. Just some engineering facts and preference to use tires that the bikes were designed for. Not so much from the other side.

Joe Jones
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 DCT

Post by Joe Jones » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 am

The cutaway view of car tires vs motorcycle tires on motorcycle wheels is misleading, and a lie. You CANNOT cut a slice out of a tire and snap it into a segment of a rim, and simulate how that tire will seat when it is PRESSURIZED. The horrible, life threatening GAP they display in the photo completely ignores the FACT that when the tire is inflated, the sidewalls will press against the rim with 40 PSI of force, and the tire will round out at the top center of the tread, and FILL IN that gap.

The complete B.S. about the car tire bead rolling over the edge of the motorcycle wheel is MORE B.S. There may be forces TRYING to pull that bead over the wheel, but the forces are equally distributed around the entire wheel. It isn't like a force of a human hand pulling a bicycle wheel off of a bicycle rim at one single point. You cannot possibly create enough centrifugal force to pull UP on that bead over 5 degrees of a wheel's circumference with enough force to overcome the other 355 degrees of bead pulling it DOWN at that point. Grab a hula hoop and have a dozen adults all pull at it away from the center of the circle. See if any one of them can distort the hula hoop enough to create an "egg" shape. It CANNOT be done.

I get so annoyed by these college academia pinheads who create all of this DATA that shows how car tires should not be on motorcycle wheels, and NOT EVEN ONE OF THEM can claim nearly 100,000 miles of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE riding on a "car tire" on the back of a Goldwing. I CAN. I am here to tell you that any theoretical danger of the wheel slipping off of the rim would have surface by now, with MILLIONS of miles of Darkside riders riding every manner of car tire they can fit onto the back of a motorcycle.

I have 90,000 miles of REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE riding on car tires mounted onto motorcycle rims, and I can tell you factually that the pinheads don't know SQUAT about it.

Here is a little video I made recently.

Joe

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:38 am

My 91 Wing has 250K & most of it are my miles.
ALL the mileage of 2 Austone's are mine which is 160K. Yes, I got 80,000 miles out of each tire. I'm ready to put on #3 Austone.

Skip posting this info, search my posts for original.
I had a severe death-wobble induced by a car hitting the rear of my trailer at highway speed. At no time did the tire come off the rim.
The 1st Austone, once removed I had forgotten to cut the tires bead to see just how much gap there was in the rims radius. But knowing from previous (decades of) car tire on cars R-n-R's and looking at the beads imprint on the rim, there will be a gap in the rims tight radius with a car tire on a bike rim. BUT that gap is diminished a bit when air pressure is applied. But never totally eliminated, tire beads are very firm.
:arrow: BTW: in those 160K miles, believe it or not, never lost a pound of air pressure.

"college academia pinheads". Hummm... "Bookworms don't get dirty hands." _fm ;)

'
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:31 pm

I'm now on my second car tire on my Goldwing 1500, an Austone
taxi tire.
Just came back from a ride through some of the twistiest, turniest roads
in the area. Handles like a champ.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

1stWing/next*chapter
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500 se moto guzzi 850 el durado

Post by 1stWing/next*chapter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Where did you get the austone tire? I have called a few places and am being told no longer available.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm

1stWing/next*chapter wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm
Where did you get the austone tire? I have called a few places and am being told no longer available.
Check out this thread: Austone Taxi Tire

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:03 pm

I bought one of the last that was available from Universal Tire before they ran out of them.
They are now unavailable.
But the RUMOR is that Universal is looking for something to replace the Austone.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 pm

This is a subject with much back and forth discussion/debate, so anyone considering going darkside has much to consider. I ask this question elsewhere, so I'll repeat it here to get a broader response.

Has anyone seen, witnessed, or heard reports of a case where a car tire on a motorcycle has been the actual cause of or can be directly attributed to being the primary cause of an accident? So more directly, can anyone say they've seen a CT come loose from a rim or blow out and cause an accident? Kinda hard to condemn their use based on speculation and opinion, when there isn't a single incident to confirm all the evil possibilities. With all the CT's being run for millions of miles on motorcycles, there should be more than a few instances where the tire actually caused an accident, don't you think?
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am

As rjohnson mentions, "much anger on the dark side", but I'd say much anger on the non-dark side. Let's be realistic about motorcycling, it is inherently dangerous and requires a lot of due diligence on our part. You don't get the same commentary about trailers, or the fact that we quite often exceed the GVWR of our bike(s).

Trailers are not recommended by any OEM and if warranty work is required, your warranty can be void. All trailer hitches are aftermarket, there are no OEM trailer hitches. Bike braking systems are designed for the bike and the GVWR of the bike, not bike, GVWR and trailer.

Exceeding the GVWR is much the same, most bikes have a GVWR that takes into account the weight of the bike, and approximately 400 to 450 pounds extra for rider, passenger and luggage. How many overloaded bikes do you see on the road, quite a few I would surmise. I read a thread about a couple on an HD that went down at speed in a corner even though the fellow had updated the suspension to the best he could get. The bike GVWR was exceeded and he went after the suspension company, didn't win. There is no free lunch.

I have an Austone taxi tire on my 1500, and I'm now towing a trailer, had always said I would not, but times and requirements change. So I'm bad on two counts. As for GVWR, most luggage is in the trailer and the trailer is not at capacity, yet. So I'm thinking I've got some 60-70 lbs of leeway regarding bike loading, and 40 pounds in the trailer.

It's all about choices, and we live and ride in countries that allow us to have a choice. Part way through our trip to Yukon-Alaska, and seeing CTs on GWs and larger touring bikes such as the Triumph RIII.

Just my thoughts and small rant on this issue.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

AJ8Q
Motorcycle: Working on getting a 1998 GL1500SE

Post by AJ8Q » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 pm

This has more than likely been asked and answered already. What about darksiding on a trike or a Goldwing with say a Voyager(tm) kit. Doesn't seem like the leaning of the bike would be an issue here. My .02 cents and looking for advise.

Thank you in advance for your help.