Goldwing Wannabes

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
TerryRuth
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspecade
95se1500(selling)
06 navi/comfort

Re: Goldwing Wannabes

Post by TerryRuth » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Fatboy46 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 pm
Obviously, SOMEONE bought a GW1800 in 2011 and believes it to be a 2011. wonder if the individual bought it from a dealer?
I was watching in 2011 when it came to the bitter end and there was only yellow ones left you could get a $26000 bike for 17k

sarge1952
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 aspencade

Post by sarge1952 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:01 am

Hello to all from the frozen state of Ohio !
This is my second 'Wing" my first was an Anniversary Edition 1500 Aspencade SE it was a beautiful bike put about 3 k miles on it before a divorce happened and went to the highest bidder ! Anyway I now am in possession of a A model 1500 it was a used bike that someone had really buggered up with after market parts and a lot of un- necessary wiring. Took most the riding season last year to get straight with wiring short's and a blown out alternator , My love affair with Honda is an on going thing and I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle again this spring.
This is a question for all I have posted this in another section here but thought I would put it in general chat to see if anyone can give me some advise, my wife has NEVER ridden a bike and I as well have NEVER ridden anyone on the back of a bike, we have spent several 100 $ in gear for her and she is chomping at the bits to get out with me. My question here for you is how do you prepare for this or better yet how do you get BOTH of us on the bike without the embarrassing tip over or dropping it in a parking lot or god forbid anywhere else any advise will be appreciated :?

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:35 am

It sounds like it's been a while since you've ridden. At least it's been quite a while since you've ridden a Goldwing. Maybe you should go out solo a few times to get your confidence back up. Then after you feel comfortable on it, take her along with you. If you explain it this way to her, she should be glad to let you get comfortable on the bike before she gets on the back. Tell her that it would make riding double more enjoyable for both of you this way.

Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 pm

I think that you should get comfortable on the bike first, find a large parking lot and practice slow rideing. Have your wife follow you after you are comfortable with the bike at slow speeds have your wife climb on board ride straight across the lot and stop have her dismount. This may sound dumb but mounting and dismounting a passenger and low speed maneuvering is the hardest part of carrying a passenger. When you feel comfortable start taking turns with your passenger on making them smaller as you gain confidence, then figure eights, panic stops etc. Do this in an empty lot at slow speed and take your time. Once you gain the confidence you can control the bike with your wife onboard take a short ride on a backroad. Take it slow and soon you and her will be touring. If you can control the bike with wife aboard at slow speed you will find at highway speed you will not feel a difference between 1 or 2 up. As far as my wife's preference for mounting a bike I hold the bike steady and upright while mounted an she uses my left should and the back rest to steady herself as she throws her leg over the saddle, discounts in reverse order. I don't recommend using the kick stand to mount a passenger because it takes considerable leg strength to stand the bike an passenger back up straight.

Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:25 am

As for Goldwing wannabees, I rode HD back in the day before the GW was ever invented, rode Brit bikes in the time of Lucas (Prince of darkness) you young guys might want to ask you dads about Lucas. All I have to say is you ride a wing or you wish you did. It is not what you ride but that you ride. If we didn't have HD riders with 4 foot and hangers and cowboy chaps and dew rags what would we have to talk about and laugh at. 😁

jcn59
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A Aspencade

Post by jcn59 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

I have an old Sportster and an older GW. The Sportster cost 3x the GW and is in better condition with 84,000 fewer miles than the Wing. When I ride the Sportster the miles click off ever so sloooowly compared to the 1200A. Fifty miles on the wing is like five on the Sportster. There is absolutely no comparison. I've been riding over 55 years, mostly older 4 cylinder island street bikes. I'm surprised how much nicer the Wing rides than those, and I'm not easily surprised!