Has your Wing ever left you near stranded....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: Has your Wing ever left you near stranded....

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm

hey ianbernal, that was a very smart thing to do. just goes to show what someone can do with not much to work with. you McGuyvered it. nice job.

stuart.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:49 am

ianbernal wrote:Hello, I got stranded once with my GL1200 Aspencade due to a faulty fuel pump, and it started to rain... solution to get home was to place a coke bottle with gas on the sheter doors and fixed with adhesive tape, and a siphon with vinyl hose straight to the carb intake line, it made it home!
[img]
IMG-20140514-WA0002.jpg
[/img]
Similar thing happened to my Lil-Bro.
His late 70's Corolla wagon in the tank fuel pump went out. He's stranded on the road and since I was closest (and always most availablest) he calls me for help. He explains, I tell him to hang on I'll be 15 minutes.
For a whole week he drives to and from work with a 5 gallon can of gas wrapped in a blanket (out of sight= out of mind) tied to his roof rack and hosed to the carb. He complains how expensive that pump was and I mention he got free road service. He gives me a $20

"WE DO WHAT WE GOTTA GO TO GIT-ALONG" :mrgreen: AY LIL-DOGGIE.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

jsarette
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200

Post by jsarette » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:46 pm

My 31 year old 84 Interstate had us high and dry for a spell one day...
My first trip out with the wife, we drove 50 miles out of town to sample the fair at an Octoberfest. I had placed the bike-lock on and left the bike secured for a few hours. When we got back and were ready to leave we found there was no power to the system whe I turned the key. Nothing!
Well we were on top of a hill so I figured I'd try to jump start to see if it would come to life..... but sadly it was not to be. Next, I would try to call AAA for a jump, but no cell coverage (T-mobile) we used the cell phone from a couple that were gracious enuogh, finally we got a ride to an auto parts store, bought a cheap multimeter, and a small portable jumper pack. I found the voltage across the battery was at 4V! I places the jumper pack across the battery and the emergency flasher lights came on with the key-->On position. Hmmm . Turned them off. Started her up and it ran fine all the way home, carried the jumper pack in the saddlebags that day. What a life saver.

Cheers

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Almost got stranded. However, it was my own fault as most times these things are.
Was way back about 1987 and I was riding a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade. I had vacation time to take and I was going somewheres, even if I did have to go alone. Wife had to work and so did my riding friends.
I decided I wanted to see the Grand Canyon. Left Ft. Smith, Arkansas and headed west on I-40. Being a lot younger then, I didn't think Albuquerque, (and a friends house) was that far away.
It was interstate speed all day long. Stop for gas two cans of pop and go. Time I needed gas again, my pop was gone.
Anyhow long ride and bad case of "Honda-butt." Remember that?
Anyhow visited my friend a couple days then went to the Grand Canyon. Did not want to ride interstate back home, or much more ever again.
I rode to Colorado then Hwy. 160 (I think) across southern Kansas. It was HOT! Winds trying to blow me off the road. Meeting semi trucks was.......an experience.
Anyhow, as I was getting nearer the east end of Kansas, I wanted to cover as much ground as I could. I was looking forward to getting home. (I said I was a lot younger back then.)
I was riding at night and I started noticing my lights weren't as bright. (I was usually camped somewhere by dark.) I stopped for fuel in Joplin, Missouri and my bike didn't start like it normally did.
There was a Honda dealer in Joplin, so I decided not to leave Joplin until my bike was fixed.
I stopped at a convenience store where I had light and started checking things out. I finally got to the battery and wow! Every cell was way, way low on water.
Being so long ago, I don't remember if I bought 1 or 2 bottles of water to fill up my battery.
Thing is, I knew under the conditions I was riding, I knew I needed to keep an eye on my battery, but while out riding it never crossed my mind to check it.
Like I said, I was usually camped before dark. It wouldn't have taken 5 minutes to check the battery, but I never did.
So I wasn't left stranded, but I don't think I could have gone much further.
Filled up the battery, everything returned to normal and I rode all the way home that night.
While looking for a "new to me" Goldwing, I found a couple 1982 Brown/Brown Aspencades just like I had. I was very tempted to get one. I hope this '94 SE is as good as that '82 was.

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Post by CaNorseman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 pm

I had a bad day in Kansas last fall. I drove over a rough RxR crossing in Wichita and blew out the aftermarket air shocks on my gl1000. I drove hard tail towards Oakley and the bike started stalling so I switched over to reserve. Even though I could see gas in the tank it wouldn't pick up. Trailered home. Still have to fix the fuel problem. The shocks have been replaced with progressive spring/shocks.

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Post by Grindl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:13 am

Temporarily non-functional ? Yes . Stranded ? Not even close .
In 08 ; when I was leading some friends to Sturges , for their first rodeo , I lost a head gasket on my "78" as I pulled into Kayenta , on the Res in N.E. Arizona . I had all the parts ; gasket kit , tools , etc. to make the repairs , so I told my buds to go on to Moab , Utah where we had motel reservations . Did the repairs in about six hours , while a small group of local Navajo club riders watched me tear the right side head off in the parking lot of a gas station . They even went and got me a drain pan for my anti-freeze from their club-house a couple miles away .
Only thing I was worried about was not having a torque wrench to torque the head back on with at 10 o'clock at night , but ya gotta do what ya gotta do ....Torqued it up with a standard Craftsman 3/8" ratchet wrench , using moderate pressure , and it has the same gasket on her eight years later , with no issues . Not the "correct" procedure ; but don't "fix it", if it ain't broke . Must have got it half-way right , so I didn't worry about it . To Sturges , then Minnesota , Ohio to see my kids , and back to Arizona . 9,600 miles in eleven days .
I carry a tool box that fits in my bag with screw drivers ( flat & Phillips ) open / box end wrenches , vise grips , pliers - regular & needle nose , and complete set of sockets w/ratchet . Also 6" & 10" adjustable wrenches...In another small "road bag" , I carry ties , electrical tape , fuses , and a small kit of elec connectors & elec crimp pliers . And a small static "timing light" if you have points to set them .
If you are riding any older Wing ; I strongly suggest carrying a few items on any long road trip .
Set of throttle cables
Clutch cable
Fuel pump
I lost a fuel pump at 12,000 feet pulling a grade on I-70 in Colorado , and the nearest pump was 90-100 miles away. Just made it into the truck pull-out at the top . On a Sunday . Except I had one in my bag ; and we were on our way in about 15 minutes .
Rather have it and not need it .....Than need it , and not have it .

Petelangdon
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by Petelangdon » Mon May 02, 2016 2:15 pm

I like everyone else had the alternator go out on my 88 1500. It was at the end of a 2000 mile run to the Fl Keys. Of course it had to happen in Atlanta rush hour traffic but we got off the road safe and just had the wrecker ride it the rest of the way home abou 100 mi. Thank god for AAA. I also had my clutch go dry abou 400 miles from home picked up some break fluid and bleed the line. Other than that it has been real good about taking care of me.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue May 03, 2016 6:28 am

Did you have a volt meter on your bike to give you a warning that the alternator failed? :D
Or was it a surprise :shock:

kmiller0813
Motorcycle: 1992 honda holding gl1500a

Post by kmiller0813 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Went for a short ride. About 30 miles. Radio started to cut out, so we pulled over and cleaned battery terminals. Living only a few miles from the ocean humidity causes an issue with corrosion. Everything was working fine after that. Got about 5 more miles and it started again then died. We pulled over and cleaned terminals again...Not working. Thankfully another biker stopped to help and took battery to an auto parts store where we thought we needed to get a new battery. The battery was good. They charged it for us. We made it home but no lights by the time we got there. Got an alternator and putting it in tomorrow....after we find out what the extra part on the side of the alternator is! Can't wait to get riding again,

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:16 pm

The extra thing...I'll bet it has one wire on it and is mounted to the alternator...
It's a noise suppressor...Reuse it on the new alternator.
By the way...get a digital volt meter hooked up.It would have let you know that the alternator quit.

CT1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I orginal owner

Post by CT1100 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:25 pm

In the 33 years that I have owned my GL1100;

1) I ran out of gas once because I forgot to switch the petcock back off reserve.
2) Engine cranked slow due to a weak battery. I had to push start it to get me home.
3) Last summer woke up to a rear flat tire (nail) on Skyline Dr. Called AAA and they put it on a flatbed along with my cargo trailer for a ride to the local Honda dealer for a new tire.

Number's 1 and 2 were my fault. Number 3 I'll call an act of God. With normal maintenance this bike has been bullet proof. I would not hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow!

Chris

jpwpar
Motorcycle: 2005 gl1800A
2009 GL1800
2018 GL Tour DCT

Post by jpwpar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:07 pm

My 75 and my 05 were bullet proof. My 09 had a pulse generator fail, and now a transmission failure at 73,000.

Kevin Ball
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Post by Kevin Ball » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 am

On the way to the Republic of Ireland for the Treffen, got hung up in heavy traffic, slowly but surely the bike got hotter and hotter, no fans. Carried out the usual roadside checks to no avail, next thing, bike and trailer on the back of a wrecker back home, 150 miles,. It turned out to be a bad connection on the block above the right hand fan, fixed, bike put back together and next morning off to Holyhead in Wales for the ferry to a very wet Dublin.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Broken throttle "pull" cable about 40 mi from home on the 1100. I simply pulled the choke as far as I could without totally smothering the engine in gas, the "fast idle" was enough throttle to get home. It would actually get up to 40-50 mph if you shifted it thru the gears and were patient. Would have to downshift to get up hills though...

I doubt the gas mileage was very good.... :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm

on my 5th Goldwing,
84i, 86SEi, '94, '98, 2002

none of them have left me stranded.
~John

Fuzzyswing
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 1979 kz1000 LTD

Post by Fuzzyswing » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 am

My 1988 Gl1500 with 31000 miles on it. Left me stuck no spark.
Cruise control lite would not go on.
At restaurant and took kill switch apart. Screw holding one of the two wires on kill switch loosened up and lost contact. Tighten screw, reassemble and good to go.

harveysmedlap
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by harveysmedlap » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 am

My 89 quit after going over railroad tracks. Loaded the bike on a friends truck to take it home, wouldn't you know it started right up when we took it off. Turned out the hot wire on the fuel pump broke off and would make intermittent contact, had to solder it back on and good to go. The alt went out on my 04 about 45 mile from home. Bungee corded a car battery on the back seat to get it to the dealer. Goldwings are the only bike that have ever left me stranded, not the 56 Thiumph or the Kawasaki, go figure.

tcloss
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by tcloss » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:26 am

Last week I was about 6 miles in to a 20 mile trip to my chiropractor. I’m on a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade. I’m coming out of a small town, and begin to accelerate as the speed limit increases. Throttle cable snapped. I coast to the shoulder and think for a minute. It crosses my mind that the choke increases rpm’s similar to a throttle. I get the bike turned around, and give it a try. Sure enough, the choke gets me going. I actually get into 3rd or 4th gear, moving along pretty good. I’m halfway home, and I lose the clutch cable, so then I have to shift gears by timing the rpms. I make it all the way home that way.

I have gotten to the repair yet, but it’s too much of a coincidence that I lost both throttle and clutch that close together. I think they both pass through a mount under the false tank. That mount may have broken.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 am

tcloss wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:26 am
Last week I was about 6 miles in to a 20 mile trip to my chiropractor. I’m on a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade. I’m coming out of a small town, and begin to accelerate as the speed limit increases. Throttle cable snapped. I coast to the shoulder and think for a minute. It crosses my mind that the choke increases rpm’s similar to a throttle. I get the bike turned around, and give it a try. Sure enough, the choke gets me going. I actually get into 3rd or 4th gear, moving along pretty good. I’m halfway home, and I lose the clutch cable, so then I have to shift gears by timing the rpms. I make it all the way home that way.

I have gotten to the repair yet, but it’s too much of a coincidence that I lost both throttle and clutch that close together. I think they both pass through a mount under the false tank. That mount may have broken.
Ouch. Yeah, you're right, that is a coincidence. Too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Remember if you are ever stranded far away, that the throttle actually has two cables - a push and a pull cable. And if your alternative is a day (or longer) spent stranded in an inhospitable spot, you can actually swap the push and pull cables and get the bike back on the road.

I remember reading a few years back where a couple on a long trip on their 1100 snapped a clutch cable. He pulled the cable out of the lever, cut it down to where it had snapped, rigged it up to some vice grips, handed the contraption to his wife, and coordinated shifting with his wife for the rest of the way home. As he would shift, he'd yell back to his wife, "out...in!" and she would work the clutch.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 am

Alt's brushes gave out 1/3 way down ILL., about 80ish miles from home. Got a jump & charge by a passerby. I made mini-jump cables so was prepared.
Made it to WallyMart & bought the biggest 12v battery they had. On the passenger seat it went with those cables to the bikes battery. Pulled the headlights fuse & made it all the way home.
WallyMart JEER'fully refunded the battery next morning. Wrong size, wouldn't fit, was the refund reason. WELL...THAT IS TRUE. 😈

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:12 pm

The battery sitting on the back seat and then returning it is a wonderful idea. Too bad we do not have Wally world here. But the idea is still good.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Had a friends alternator pass away on the three sisters in south Texas. Anyone that's ever been knows...we we're in BFE. Got it back to Leakey still BFE on a Sunday afternoon. Tinkered with it for a few hours then had to make a move we were a couple hundred miles from home. Lucky for him there were 2 more 15's there so we popped sidecovers tossed them in the trunk and did battery lottery for the next 4 hours. Swap dying for charged run like hell repeat. Made for a long evening/night. I had 2 issues personally but wasn't left hanging. A guy that worked for Goodyear racing mounted and balanced my tires on my new to me '89 15' and didn't replace the valve stems or look at them I guess he was in a hurry to leave for Daytona that year. Took off on a 4 hour ride to the beach and started losing air 0 miles into the ride. Called a friend who had new valve stems waiting for me when I showed up 6 hours later from the ride/stop/air up/repeat. The last one was when it would rain on the old 15 for a while she wouldn't start. Killed the battery at work and had to push the beast 100 yards to the front door to use a charger. Plug boots not sealing on the heads and water filling the bores. Wet plugs don't like to fire. Carried a cover for a few months till I located new boots that sealed well. The old girl has 210k on the clock and has been ridden daily since I got it years ago so no never really stranded. My Harleys on the other hand more times than I'd like to admit.

TerryRuth
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspecade
95se1500(selling)
06 navi/comfort

Post by TerryRuth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:33 am

Please post what you find happend.

gl1500 died would not restart suspected fuel as it sputtered
replaced fuel filter still nadda
was going to add fuel ,,, took cap off WHOOSH Started right up VACCUM????
SAD ! !
TWICE the alt failed once bought new battery to get me home , other I strapped a car battery to seat and jumper cabled it
The second alt I had weird noise IMMEDIATLEY after an oil change,,
the nut that holds on drive fell RIGHT off check /torque nut BEFORE installing

Fuzzyswing
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 1979 kz1000 LTD

Post by Fuzzyswing » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 am

Quit would not restart, no cruise on light. Wire in kill switch came off